John Deere Gator Forum - Header Left   John Deere Gator Forum - Header Right

Go Back   John Deere Gator Forums > John Deere Gator General Discussion > Gator General Discussion

Gator General Discussion If you need to talk about the John Deere Gator XUV/SXS/UTV and it does not fit into a more specific section down below, post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2012, 06:47 PM   #1

Saki is on a distinguished road
2012 Gator 625i oil change

I searched this forum for the answer but couldn't find. I was attempting my first oil change on my new Gator 625i and followed the manual. It described and showed a photo of the location of the plug, passenger side, front near corner of engine. I removed that bolt, and thought it was awfully long for an oil plug. When I removed it there was no oil on it and no oil flowed. My first reaction was horror. Was it somehow plugged up? I looked at the photo again and I had exactly the bolt that was pictured. I looked on the other side and couldn't see an oil plug there either. After sleeping on it I realized that the manual just had to be wrong and made a more determined look for a more logical place the oil would drain from. After I lay down on my back I found it, and it was not on the passenger side at all. It was on the driver side and it wasn't a plug. It was a petcock style drain that is opened by loosening the 10mm head of a bolt.

I will say that I like this style of drain much better than a plug and it is conveniently located. The job will be much easier next time, especially if I remember to watch my head when I get up. Ouch! I am, however, a little upset at the bad information in the manual and wonder why there wasn't an update insert in the manual. I do have to give kudos for the built in funnel that channels the oil flow when you remove the oil filter. It works.

What is not convenient for me is lifting the bed to check the oil. It would be convenient to check if the bed were empty, but mine never is in summer. I am restoring a wetland and controlling for several different kinds of undesirable weeds or grass, so I spray two different kinds of herbicide, Roundup and Forefront R&P, and I always have two pump sprayers in the bed plus the jugs of extra water (25 gallons) I carry. I have to wait until the sprayers are close to empty and then unload all the extra water before I can check the oil level.
Saki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:22 PM   #2

dbrengle is on a distinguished road
Smile

Bingo! Thanks for saving me hours of distress in trying to find the oil drain plug which is on the left side of the engine and NOT visible from the right (passenger) side.
dbrengle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:22 AM   #3

AllisChalmers is on a distinguished road
Thanks for a great tip

Double bingo! I found the same thing - the manual is absolutely wrong on the placement of the oil drain plug. Shame on the writers and shame on the dealers for not pointing this out. I found it the experimental way, same as you, on my 2011 625. I thought maybe it was a new feature for 2011 and the manual wasn't yet updated but looks like the error continued in 2012. I agree it's a great feature with the petcock type drain. No more oil plugs!
AllisChalmers is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   John Deere Gator Forums > John Deere Gator General Discussion > Gator General Discussion

Tags
625i, oil change

Search tags for this page
change oil in john deere gator
how much oil does 620-i deere gator hold

how much oil does a john deere gator hold

how much oil john deere 625i gator
john deer 625i gator oil filter
john deere 625i service manual

john deere gator 625i manual

john deere gator 625i oil capacity

john deere gator 625i oil change
john deere gator 625i oil filter
oil plug on john deere 625 gtor
what type of oil does the xuv john deere gator use
Click on a term to search for related topics.