John Deere Gator Forum - Header Left   John Deere Gator Forum - Header Right

Go Back   John Deere Gator Forums > John Deere Gator General Discussion > Gator General Discussion

Gator General Discussion If you need to talk about the John Deere Gator XUV/SXS/UTV and it does not fit into a more specific section down below, post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012, 05:59 PM   #1

crazyfarmer is on a distinguished road
XUV 550 blue smoke and power dies

Guys, Im new to the gators but I just got a 550 S4 and it has 18 hours on it now. Ran fine but now when cruising at WOT the power will die and out comes this huge cloud of blue smoke. Ill let off gas and then it goes back to running fine. I have noticed some blue smoke at start up's off and on also. I went back out and attempted but no smoke. However on way back I tried and again the power died and out comes blue smoke. Should I call the dealer?? Concerned that something isnt right here. It wasnt smoking the first week but now this has started. Oil level is fine and it seems to run great just easing around.
crazyfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:21 PM   #2

also at idle its a squeel/whine type sound coming from somewhere around the engine. I think the best bet is it take back to the dealer and have them look it over
Old 09-06-2012, 06:16 AM   #3

Regulator is on a distinguished road
Blue smoke isn't good coming from any engine...take it back to the Dealership and let them see what is causing it to be safe...sounds like this could only get worse over time...better to be safe and let them deal with it now then later on after the warranty is out!!!

Let us know what they find please...I am interested in the cause of that...

Larry in MD
Regulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:03 PM   #4

took it back today so I will keep you posted... i cant get it to smoke again which is odd... but its squealing still after warming up at idle
Old 12-14-2012, 08:49 AM   #5

kbh3290 is on a distinguished road
So What ended up being the problem. I have a gator 550 s4 that looses power also when it gets hot. If i ride normal no smoke comes out, but it i give the gator gas white smoke boils out the back. I took it to the JD service dept and have not heard back from them. Some one told me this could be a broken head gasket? Any thoughts? What was wrong with your gator?
kbh3290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:14 PM   #6

kbh3290 is on a distinguished road
Got my gator back a couple of weeks ago. It was the head gaskets, both of them, JD fixed the issue and I am now riding out.
kbh3290 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   John Deere Gator Forums > John Deere Gator General Discussion > Gator General Discussion

Search tags for this page
2012 john deere gator xuv 550 no power
gator 550 s4 head gasket problem
gator xuv 550
john deere 550 gator engine
john deere gator 550 smoking
john deere gator smokes
john deere gator smokes and quits

john deere gator smoking

john deere xuv 550 forum
xuv 550 engine problems
xuv 550 smokes at idle
xuv 550 smoking
Click on a term to search for related topics.