John Deere Gator Forum - Header Left   John Deere Gator Forum - Header Right

Go Back   John Deere Gator Forums > John Deere Gator General Discussion > Gator General Discussion

Gator General Discussion If you need to talk about the John Deere Gator XUV/SXS/UTV and it does not fit into a more specific section down below, post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 06:33 PM   #1

JONBOY is on a distinguished road
825i SHIFTING

Ive got a new 825i. I use it for work quite often, 1600 miles and Im on the 3rd drive belt. The problem now is its a bear to shift. You have to pretty much force it into gear and then when you take off it will jump out of gear. Then you have to come to a complete stop and put it back in and then hope for the best. Any ideas?
JONBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:13 PM   #2

Duramax is on a distinguished road
It could be a cable adjustment issue, but we see a lot of primary clutches not releasing back to the stops. The primary clutch will grab the belt ever so slightly and load the transmission clutch causing a hard shift condition. I would remove the top belt cover, get some penetrating oil or a VERY small amount of tacky grease that is waterproof and apply onto the weight rods, rollers, outside collar shaft. Start engine and rev WOT then idle a few times to work the lubricant into the clutch components. That usually works here. Maybe the transmission won't need some synchro work after this is performed.
Duramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:35 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Batman is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Batman Send a message via Yahoo to Batman
We had the similar problem here recently on a 620i. Come to find out one of the small bolts in the primary was gone. How that came out is a mystery to me.

2012 Polaris RZR XP 900 - UTV, Inc. Front Windshield, Trailing Arm Guards and A Arm Guards, Go Pro Mounts, Doors, Nuke Cage, and Custom Grill, Rubber Down Customs 2.5" Adjustable Lift

Check out my build thread...............http://www.gatorforums.net/forum/gat...8-bat-rsx.html
Batman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:24 PM   #4

Duramax is on a distinguished road
What did it damage?
Duramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:45 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Batman is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Batman Send a message via Yahoo to Batman
Its completly damaged. If my guys have not thrown the parts out, you can have it. Looks like they busted one of the cups, ball bearings are gone. And they welded onto the end of the shaft to pull it out.

2012 Polaris RZR XP 900 - UTV, Inc. Front Windshield, Trailing Arm Guards and A Arm Guards, Go Pro Mounts, Doors, Nuke Cage, and Custom Grill, Rubber Down Customs 2.5" Adjustable Lift

Check out my build thread...............http://www.gatorforums.net/forum/gat...8-bat-rsx.html
Batman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:23 PM   #6

08roady is on a distinguished road
Just wondering if anybody else is having this same issue? I am having a hell of a time going from forward to reverse, very, very hard to shift and also going forward it keeps popping into neutral. Any suggestions would be fantastic. I looked at the little u-bolt thing connected to the shifter under the box, but to me it doesn't look like there is much adjustment to it.
08roady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:47 AM   #7

Bucke99 is on a distinguished road
I have a 2013 Gator 825i. I have 65 hours and 153 miles on it. It will not shift into, or out of gear. The dealer is telling me the clutch is burnt out and I need a new one, ($318.00 for parts and 1.5 hours labor) I have babied this thing since the day I got it. Has anyone talked to a JD rep about this ? My dealership is NOT standing beside me and I'm going to make a trade deal with Polaris? and give them a free commercial telling them what a POS this company is if someone doesn't do something.
Bucke99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 01:07 PM   #8

DeereSales101 is on a distinguished road
Well i am sure that the dealership is doing what they can but i am guessing you are out of Warranty. Just because something fails outside of a warranty doesnt mean the company is a POS. Do you think Polaris would be any better outside of warranty? I could understand if you were having issues two months after your purchase but seems like you are getting a little angry for something that just happens.
DeereSales101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:44 AM   #9

Bucke99 is on a distinguished road
Yes, I am out of Warranty, by 6 months. After reading comments on here about hard shifting, defective clutch assemblies and replacing drive belts, I believe there is a common related problem. If a person has to replace the clutch assembly every 65 hours, then there is obviously a something defective somewhere. I didn't pay $13,000.00+ to have replace parts every 65 hours,.............. any parts ! My other 2 gators I drove over 3,000 hours each, and NEVER had a clutch problem or any major repair. If JD won't admit it, then they'll lose this customer, and as many as I can convince about their product.
Bucke99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:17 AM   #10

DeereSales101 is on a distinguished road
Well good luck to you! Hope you get it all figured out!
DeereSales101 is online now   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   John Deere Gator Forums > John Deere Gator General Discussion > Gator General Discussion

Search tags for this page

825i gator problems

825i gator shifting problems

gator 825i shifting problems

gator xuv difficult to shift
jd gator 825i problems hard to shift
john deere 825i clutch kit

john deere 825i gator transmission problems

john deere 825i problems

john deere gator 825i problems

john deere gator 825i shifting problems

john deere gator hard to shift

john deere gator shifting problems

Click on a term to search for related topics.