John Deere Gator Forum - Header Left   John Deere Gator Forum - Header Right

Go Back   John Deere Gator Forums > John Deere Gator General Discussion > Gator General Discussion

Gator General Discussion If you need to talk about the John Deere Gator XUV/SXS/UTV and it does not fit into a more specific section down below, post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 08:51 AM   #1

cullbuck is on a distinguished road
Question Brake adjustment on 6x4 gator

Can someone explain how to adjust the brakes on a 2001 6x4 gator?

It has some brake but takes a while to stop.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
cullbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:36 PM   #2

gatorvirgin is on a distinguished road
cable brake on 6x4 gator

you're in better shape than I am. My brakes don't work at all when I depress the pedal but the hand brake works. From some research trying to fix my brake problem, which I still haven't done, there should be a cable attached to the brake lever and back towards the engine compartment. In the diagram it appears to have a nut that can be loosened and the cable adjusted.
gatorvirgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 05:39 PM   #3

xcopterdoc is on a distinguished road
Brake Adjustments

Reason:

To ensure service brake linkage and park brake linkage are adjusted properly.
NOTE: The front end of the brake rod needs to be adjusted before the rear end of the brake rod.
Brake Rod Front End Adjustment:

1. Park machine on level surface and turn key switch OFF.
2. Shift lever in NEUTRAL and park brake lever in released position, and front wheels BLOCKED.
3. Raise cargo box.

MX1185
4. Tighten nut (A) onto linkage (B) completely until the ends of sleeves (C) make contact inside spring (D). This sets a predetermined preload on the spring.
Brake Rod Rear End Adjustment:

NOTE: If this is a NEW transaxle or you have replaced the brake pack assembly, ONLY perform steps 1-5, and 7-9. New brake parts require a tighter linkage adjustment to account for initial break-in wear.
1. Use jack stands or hoist to raise rear wheels at least 25 mm (1.0 in.) off ground.
NOTE: If brake cable is being replaced, DO NOT attach cable to brake pedal at this time. Attach cable only at mid-frame mounting and brake arm assembly.

M55781
2. Disconnect brake arm return spring (E).

M76917
3. Loosen jam nut (F) and coupler nut (G).
4. Hold brake rod (H) to rear and brake arm (I) forward to remove all play.
5. Turn coupler nut (G) forward until it pushes spacer (J) and washer (K) forward until washer just contacts coupler pin (L).
6. Turn coupler nut (G) 3 turns (eighteen flats of nut) away from pin (L).
7. Tighten jam nut (F).
8. Install brake arm return spring (E).
9. Turn rear wheel, it should rotate with a slight drag and provide even braking on both sides.
NOTE: If no new parts have been installed, proceed to "Alternate Rear End Adjustment Procedure" below. (DO NOT proceed if NEW parts have been installed).
Alternate Rear End Adjustment Procedure:

(DO NOT use this step for NEW parts):
NOTE: When using torque wrench, the torque wrench centerline should intersect the axle flange centerline!
For 4X2: Using torque wrench, turn any lug of rear tire. Tire should rotate at less then 11 Nm (8 lb-ft), ideally 7 Nm (62 lb-in.).
For 6X4's: Turn any lug of rear tire. Tire should rotate at less then 20 Nm (15 lb-ft), ideally.
After repeating procedure for both sides, check both sides (left and right) for EVEN braking. If NOT EVEN, repeat entire procedure.
NOTE: This completes the routine portion of brake adjustment procedure. If brake cable has been replaced or foot pedal linkage needs adjustment, complete "Brake Cable Adjustment" below.
Brake Cable Adjustment:

1. Ensure park brake is in released position.
IMPORTANT: Avoid damage! DO NOT allow brake cable to slip out of slot or cable may become kinked. Hold cable in slot by holding cable below lower nut (C) when loosening top nut (D).

M56376
2. Loosen cap screw(s) (A) of stop plate (B) and lower plate.
3. Loosen jam nuts (C) and (D).
4. Pull down on cable housing to take out all play in cable. Hold cable housing in place and tighten jam nuts (C) and (D).
NOTE: Brake pedal freeplay is necessary to prevent any preload of brake linkage. If stop plate (B) is adjusted too high, brakes will be preloaded. If stop plate is adjusted too low, return spring pressure, will kink brake cable.
5. Adjust stop plate (B) up to reduce amount of freeplay in brake pedal. Apply only enough up force to stop plate to take up freeplay. Do not start actuating brake.
6. Hold stop plate (B) while you tighten cap screw (A).
If light and horn kit is installed, stop plate will have a switch fastened to it. Stop plate must be positioned so switch is aligned with bottom of brake pedal rod (E). Be sure brake pedal rod contacts switch plunger (plunger depressed) but does not contact the switch body.
xcopterdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:14 AM   #4

cullbuck is on a distinguished road
Thanks so much.
The illustrations and description of the process is very helpful.

Thanks again for sharing.
cullbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:10 PM   #5

Talking

yeah, that's what I said. Wow, that's some excellent information and very much appreciated. This is just what I was hoping for when I got my gator and needed some help. Great people sharing information to help others on this forum, thank you.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:36 PM   #6

6x4 brakes or not

If I understand the brake adjustment diagrams you provided, the brakes actually stop the transmission which means insuring the transaxle fluid is at the proper level and if the braking action is still a problem, it's not an easy fix for the average Joe?
Old 12-02-2013, 06:01 PM   #7

The brake disks are inside the transmission and stop the output shaft of the transmission. They are of the "ramp and ball" type, purely mechanical. Trans oil provides cooling of the brakes and other things. I have very very seldom seen the brake disks worn out. Mostly its a misadjustment, broken springs, broken/stretched cables ect. Its really not that bad of a job to install new brakes.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:05 PM   #8

Brake Operation

Function:

To provide a means of stopping the machine and also prevent movement when not in use.
Theory of Operation:

When the brake pedal (A) is depressed, the brake cable anchor (B) pulls U-bracket (C) and mid-frame brake arms (D) forward. Mid-frame brake arms pull left and right side brake rods (E) which pull transaxle brake arms (F) forward. When transaxle brake arms are pulled forward the flat edge at the internal end of the brake arm shaft (G) pushes against the actuator ring tab (H). This rotates the right-side actuator ring clockwise and the left-side actuator ring counter-clockwise causing the six angled ramps (I) to move against the six captured balls (J). This action forces the actuator ring against the outer brake plate (K), outer brake disc (L), middle brake plate (M), inner brake disc (N), and finally the inner brake plate (O).
The friction between the brake plates and brake discs slows or stops output shaft (S) rotation, which slows or stops the drive wheels. The brake plates are held stationary by four tabs (P) on each of three brake plates which are seated in four transaxle housing grooves (Q). The brake discs are spline engaged to the output shaft's center splines (R).
When the park brake lever (T) is raised into its locked position, the slotted rod (U) pulls the park brake arm (V) up and the mid-frame brake arms (D) forward. From hereon, everything works the same. To release the park brake lever, first raise the lever slightly, then depress the release button (W) and lower lever all-the-way.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:28 AM   #9

great information

You are off the chart with providing us great "accurate" information and I very much appreciate your efforts to help and inform us. I recently submitted a post looking for some electrical help on a starting issue with my 6x4 diesel gator. Hope you can help me with that also.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   John Deere Gator Forums > John Deere Gator General Discussion > Gator General Discussion

Search tags for this page
gator brake adjustment
how to adjust brakes on a john deere 6x4

how to adjust brakes on john deere gator

installig gator transaxle brake kit
john deere 4x2 gator brake adjustment
john deere 6x4 gator brakes illustration
john deere gator 6x4 brake adjustment

john deere gator 6x4 brakes

john deere gator brake adjustment

john deere gator brake diagram
john deere gator brake linkage

john deere gator brakes

Click on a term to search for related topics.