John Deere Gator Forum - Header Left   John Deere Gator Forum - Header Right

Go Back   John Deere Gator Forums > John Deere Gator General Discussion > Gator General Discussion

Gator General Discussion If you need to talk about the John Deere Gator XUV/SXS/UTV and it does not fit into a more specific section down below, post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2013, 08:10 PM   #31

cotterpin is on a distinguished road
My dealer is a stand up guy. I may call him tomorrow and see about telling him to keep the POS 550 S4. Going to se if he would consider a trade on the 800 something 4 seater. If not im selling it and getting that new honda four seater. I just want one that runs. Its just been plain crazy. Any known problem(s) on the 800 something 4 seater or honda?
cotterpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
Old 07-18-2013, 10:29 PM   #32

Leatherworker is on a distinguished road
550 s4

My dealer is a nice guy to. But he hasn't helped me out with my gators shifting problem. My gator won't shift at all it is stuck in reverse and they just tell me they can't fix it. Because there is no fix for it yet. Anyway I would warn you about the xuv 825i s4 DONT BUY IT. I talked to the mechanic that works on the machines at my dealer and he said he has been getting a lot of them in with shifting problems too. He told me it would have the same problems my xuv 550 s4 has. His advice was go buy another brand like Kubota or something other than john deere. Anyway that is what I know.
Leatherworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:18 AM   #33

my xuv 550

With my gator the only way to get it to shift out of reverse is to back up a hill and then shut it off and sit and wait till it starts to roll forward and then push on the shift knob as hard as you can while it is freewheeling down. Does anyone else have this hard of time to get their gator to shift?
Old 07-19-2013, 09:37 AM   #34

Hi Cotterpin. I don't know about class action lawsuits out there? But I would like to get onboard if there are. I don't know about the lemon laws either but I know this is a lemon. And there should be a law against it.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:40 AM   #35

Ok so I drove over to my dealer on Friday, to talk to the sales guy, he wasn’t there so I talked to the girls at the counter and they said there was nothing they could do about it. I got the customer service number and called jd customer service today. I talked to 3 customer service reps and got nowhere no one cared. They just said they are looking into it. I called the dealer and talked to the salesman he said he talked to JD and they said they know about it and it is an ongoing problem and they are looking into it. My dealer said that he doesn’t know when or if they will ever find a fix for it. So now I am stuck.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:56 PM   #36

Ok so I just talked to my dealer again with no results they are nice people but they can't fix it. I just called another dealer 24 miles away but they are the closest ones to me in my area. I talked it over with the mechanic and he said he thinks he can fix it. They are going to call back next week to set up an appointment. It will cost me 77 dollars to haul it and bring it back but it will be worth it for a working gator again. Anyway I am hopeful that they can fix my problem.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:14 PM   #37

ezzeeeeddie is on a distinguished road
My Gator was returned to me by the dealer on 7/16/2017. I have to turn the ingition off in order to shift gears after its return. After 3 emails outlining the problem, JD customer service rept phoned me provided me with the following info. They phoned the dealer and the dealer advised them that they had checked it out last week and and the unit was in accordance with all of John Deere's specifications and that their was nothing that John Deere could do. I advised her that I had to turn off the ignition in order to shift gears and that should not be required. I was then advised that it is working as it was designed to. Advised her that it was a defective product and she advised me that it had NOT become an Issue with John Deere but that John Deere stood behing its products. HA! HA! I advise all of you with simular to contact customer service @ 800-537-8233 or email at ccc@mailnj.custhelp.com and your dealer and lets make this defect an issue.
ezzeeeeddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:16 PM   #38

Please let us all know how your visit turns out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leatherworker View Post
Ok so I just talked to my dealer again with no results they are nice people but they can't fix it. I just called another dealer 24 miles away but they are the closest ones to me in my area. I talked it over with the mechanic and he said he thinks he can fix it. They are going to call back next week to set up an appointment. It will cost me 77 dollars to haul it and bring it back but it will be worth it for a working gator again. Anyway I am hopeful that they can fix my problem.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:21 PM   #39

Vanderrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanderrt View Post
Cotterpin I got my 550 back. Gulf Tractor Corpus Christi picked it up on Friday and back on Tuesday. Everything seems to be working fine. They replaced the secondary Clutch. They put in a light kit while they had in the shop. Now I have turn signals for the streets on North Padre Island. My wife has problems with hand signals ) It's great in the sand and I hope this is the end of my problems. It sounds like the 550s are plagued with problems but I was assured that very few come back with major problems. Gulf Tractor have had some minor problems with 550 but mine was the first major one. I'd love to have an 825i S4 but one equipped like mine would cost about $20,000 way out my reach for a toy. I have my 550 S4 pretty much set up the way I want it )
How is your gator functioning after replacing the secondary clutch?
Old 07-22-2013, 03:44 PM   #40

Hi ezzeeeeddie, I will let you guys know what happens. I sure hope they can fix this thing.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:04 PM   #41

Thanks. I do too. It would be an good UTV w/o its shifting flaws.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:46 PM   #42

heartablation2 is on a distinguished road
Angry Gator 550 Problems

I bought a Gator 550 for Christmas for the family, what a mistake. The shifter broke the second day. After getting it back, a pin in the steering broke. Now the transmission has gone out. I have a total of 28.6 hours on it and no one wants to go near it for fear of it breaking down again. Of course the dealer won't take it back and I would be lucky to get a fraction back on it if I tried to sell it. No need to belabor the point, don't buy John Deere.
heartablation2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:13 AM   #43

vanderrt is on a distinguished road
I found this post on the John Deere site under forums. It's very interesting and I notified my dealer.

The difficulty shifting is well known. It's a problem with the drive clutch
sticking and not fully releasing. JD has a revised clutch to help address
the problem. I mentioned it to my dealer and they had me bring it in. A
couple days later I had my Gator back with a new drive/primary clutch for no
charge.

After talking with my dealer he informed that he knew about this and has already replaced the drive/primary clutch when it was in the shop.. I'll let you know how it works out.

Last edited by vanderrt; 07-24-2013 at 11:53 AM.
vanderrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:23 AM   #44

Cfountain is on a distinguished road
Well I hope that the revised clutch works out for you, because it did not for me...I now have the 825i S4 and so far it's ok but just ok! I do fined that it's clutch slips when you are on a hill starting out and it has a little shifting stickiness when shifting! After everything that I went though with the 550 S4 I hope to God that I don't have any major problems with this one. All I can tell all of you out there is that the only way I GOT any thing or any where with my 550 S4 piece of $!&#. Was to get mad and demand that something be done! After the fourth time back to the shop, I handed them the key and told them that I was done and that 550 S4 was not coming back to my house! Mined you John Deere did nothing-not a thing!!! It was the dealer that stepped up and help me out!! So I guess what I am getting at is, your dealer might be a nice guy ext...But you are the one that is paying good money for something that you are not getting and if the company that the dealer is working for won't stand behind the product that they make!!! Then the person selling it needs to...Call the Attorney generals office and the better business bureau and I would let them know that is what you are going to do,and just maybe when you mention it someone will step up and do "SOMETHING FOR YOU" the paying customer!!! Ok I am stepping off the soap box good luck!!! and SHAME ON JOHN DEERE AGAIN!!! I once was a believer and now that "hat" has a permanent place on the shelf!!!
Cfountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:24 AM   #45

lance1963 is on a distinguished road
major problems with my 550 s4

Just took mine back for third time. First time shifter broke because to hard to shift,fixed back in shop week later would not shift they had it three weeks said it was fixed they test drove at dealership would not shift,so they replace tranny 3 weeks later back at dealer will not shift. Mangers says john deere nos of problem ,I told him this is my last trip. Fix or refund three times the charm for me.Im sure I have enough grounds to get the lawyers involed.
lance1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   John Deere Gator Forums > John Deere Gator General Discussion > Gator General Discussion
Remove Ads

Search tags for this page
are they any recalls on a xuv 550s4 john deere gator
gator won't shift gears unless turned off
john deere 550 gator problems
john deere 550 transmission problems

john deere gator 550 problems

john deere gator 550 transmission problems
john deere xuv 550 problems
john deere xuv 550 s4 engine problems
problems with gator 550
problems with john deere gator 550
xuv 550 parking brake
yutubejohn deere gator xuv 550 s4replacethrottlecable
Click on a term to search for related topics.