John Deere Gator Forum - Header Left   John Deere Gator Forum - Header Right

Go Back   John Deere Gator Forums > John Deere Gator General Discussion > Gator General Discussion

Gator General Discussion If you need to talk about the John Deere Gator XUV/SXS/UTV and it does not fit into a more specific section down below, post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2013, 11:30 AM   #21

vanderrt is on a distinguished road
Well it happened to me. My 550 S4 won't shift out of reverse unless I turn off the engine. With the engine off it shifts just fine. Also when shifting from 4WD to 2WD it hesitates but after few yards it comes out with a load clunk. I have about 20 hours on it. It's going in Thursday (7/11/2013) the dealer beleaves it's the secondary clutch ( I have no idea what that is) and he ordered the parts. While it's in the shop I'm having a lighting kit put on (Turn signal, break lights, etc). I've already added a vented windshield, and 2000lb winch my daughter and son-in-law gave me. I really enjoy this Gator and I hope this is not the start of several problems to come ( I love tearing down the beach in deep sand where 4WD trucks are getting stuck. It has gone through everything I've ask it to with no problem.

Last edited by vanderrt; 07-11-2013 at 12:12 PM.
vanderrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:59 PM   #22

Cfountain is on a distinguished road
wow, I am sorry to here you are having problems!!! Really is not a surprise to hear it, but all in the same I hate to hear that you are having problems...I hate to say it , but i am willing to bet this is just the beginning of your problems!!!! Make sure you keep track of every thing that they do and say!!! If they try to feed you a line of #$%& tell them you want it in writing!!!! And again I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble.... Good Luck!!!!
Cfountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:09 AM   #23

Me Too

I'm hoping that this not recurring. I love the Gator and I have a great time with it.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:20 AM   #24

ezzeeeeddie is on a distinguished road
550 S4 problems

I purchased Gator 550 S4 on 11/01/2013 and it is now at the dealers now for the 3rd time. First I returned it because of difficulty shifting from F-N-R and was advised, by the dealer, that 3 techs had checked it and could not find find any problem. Second time it began spitting and sputtering and runing as a crawl pace. Returned it again last week because of difficulty in shifting and unable to put into low gear at all. I DO NOT use it for anything other than touring my neighborhood with my dogs daily. Awaiting reply from dealer. Based on the number of posts with simuliar problems, this appears to be a serious flaw and has not been properly addressed by John Deere. Any suggestions on resolving this on going problem with the 550?

Last edited by ezzeeeeddie; 07-13-2013 at 10:23 AM.
ezzeeeeddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:07 PM   #25

Cfountain is on a distinguished road
well, I'm sorry to here you are having troubles. But not surprised at all, yes John Deere has a big problem with the 550 S4 and it sickens me that they will not back their product. With that being said, you probably either have a clutch or a transmission problem!!! The reason it will not go into gear right is because of the engaging arm on the transmission does not work right... it does not push back hard enough, which will not let it go into gear. I hope this helps you out! Don't back down make them make it right. Well, as good as they can, because the problem will just come back, so watch that warranty time. That why I had such a problem with it, because it spent more time in the shop then at my house!!! Good luck!!!!
Cfountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:27 PM   #26

cotterpin is on a distinguished road
10 hours and never out of shop. Should of bought honda

I bought a new xuv 550 s4 to toy around the farm with kids and put a few dead deer in the back in the fall. Always had a gator and did little research because I thought they were bullet proof. Wow was I wrong. Had it for 2 weeks and put 8 hours on it. I couldnt shift in and out of gear without turning it of and manually rocking it a couple times to get it to come out of gear. Took it to dealer and they had it for a month. They brought it back and it was worse. Going on two weeks now. I have owned it for 2 months and it has been in the shop 6 of 8 weeks. Tech tells me they have to put up to 3 trannys in to get one that works on these. Anyone know of any class action lawsuits out there? I dont think lemon laws apply to these but correct me if im wrong. Considering trading this one on a 800 series s4 or a non union made honda 4 seater ( i think its called frontier) any suggestions? Are either one more reliable? There is a major engineering flaw on these.
cotterpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:15 AM   #27

Cotterpin I got my 550 back. Gulf Tractor Corpus Christi picked it up on Friday and back on Tuesday. Everything seems to be working fine. They replaced the secondary Clutch. They put in a light kit while they had in the shop. Now I have turn signals for the streets on North Padre Island. My wife has problems with hand signals ) It's great in the sand and I hope this is the end of my problems. It sounds like the 550s are plagued with problems but I was assured that very few come back with major problems. Gulf Tractor have had some minor problems with 550 but mine was the first major one. I'd love to have an 825i S4 but one equipped like mine would cost about $20,000 way out my reach for a toy. I have my 550 S4 pretty much set up the way I want it )

Last edited by vanderrt; 07-18-2013 at 07:26 AM.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:05 PM   #28

Got mine back from the dealer on 07/16/2013 and was advised that the gator was set to all of JohnDeere's specs and not much else they can do. I am still required to move it forward or turn the ignitation off to get it to disengage after most uses. John Deere obviously has no intention for correcting the problem. I have contacted their customer support on three occassions. All they do is refer your to the dealer which has little control. Perhaps we all need to band togeather and seek a class action lawsuit and file a complaint with FTC. In the mean time, I plan to post the following on the front and rear of my gator " DO NOT make the same mistake as I did and purchase a JOHN DEERE GATOR 550 S4". Any supporters out their. Numbers make a difference to a large corporation.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:22 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfacewarrior View Post
I have a whole whopping 72 minutes on my S4 and have almost broken off the shifter several times getting it out of reverse, thanks to this forum I now nudge it fwd or reverse to get it to shift. But otherwise I am pleased with it.
That is a major problem with the 550 S4. Expect it to happen again anytime.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:01 PM   #30

Leatherworker is on a distinguished road
lemon xuv 550 s4

Hi, I am new to the forum I too have a john deere gator xuv 550 s4, I bought it for my small farm just 3 horses and some apple trees. I wanted something to get me around and something to carry a few hay bales. I bought this thing in august 2012 I am still paying on the thing. It has already been to the dealer 3 times. First thing I noticed was that it didnít shift right. So that was the first visit to the dealer at around 20 hours, they said nothing was wrong and sent it back. Then around 30 hours it started smoking bad and losing power they had it about 3 weeks and said that it had oil and gas mixing. They blamed me for not getting the engine running at the right temperature? I have never heard that before that was the second visit to the dealer. The third time was just recently at 79 hours it started smoking really bad and lost all power. The dealer had it for a month and this time it needed a whole list of things head gaskets a new carburetor and God knows what else these part numbers are. I have hit some rough times with my small business and I was in a previous tractor accident that prevents me from lifting over 25lbs so low on cash and all I finally decided it was time to sell the horses, I didnít want to but I could no longer take care of them. Anyway just got the gator back and test drove it today. Well the stupid thing wonít shift gears at all. The dealer told me to turn it off and shift the gears that donít work, so then they said to drive it for about a foot in the direction it is stuck in and force it into another gear. That doesnít work either. I asked if they were going to fix it and the mechanic said they canít because they donít have a fix for it. So now I am stuck with it siting at the top of my driveway and no way to move it. I am just thinking about putting a for sale sign on it and having someone else take over the payments. Does anyone have any idea if we can do anything about this lemon they made and are now selling?
Leatherworker is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   John Deere Gator Forums > John Deere Gator General Discussion > Gator General Discussion

Search tags for this page
20112 john deere gator 550 xuv shifting problems
gator 550 s4 4 wheel drive cable
how to change parking brake cable on a johndeere xuv 550 s4
jd gator 550 problems
john deere 550 gator
john deere 550 transmission problems

john deere gator 550 problems

john deere xuv 550 s4 parking brake cable
john deere xuv gator 550 front emergency brake cable replacement
parking brake gator xuv550 s4
problems head gasket on a john deere gator 550 xuv
youtube fixing the emergency brake on a 550 john deere gator
Click on a term to search for related topics.