John Deere Gator Forum - Header Left   John Deere Gator Forum - Header Right

Go Back   John Deere Gator Forums > John Deere Gator General Discussion > Gator General Discussion

Gator General Discussion If you need to talk about the John Deere Gator XUV/SXS/UTV and it does not fit into a more specific section down below, post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2013, 08:10 AM   #1

Cfountain is on a distinguished road
Major problems with my 550 S4

I only have 44 hours on my new 550 S4 and the transmission and the clutch both have had to be replaced!!! I have only had the gator since Oct.31 it's been in the shop for over a month of that time, over three weeks just for the transmission! Because there was no rush on fixing something under warranty!
Now it is back in the shop, because the transmission is bad again!!! I am very disappointed in the product, has any one else had problems like this with their 550 S4? Because at this point I am really considering doing something about it?
At this point I am waiting on John deer to see what they are going to do!!!

Last edited by Cfountain; 04-20-2013 at 08:26 AM.
Cfountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:52 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Batman is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Batman Send a message via Yahoo to Batman
Man I hate to hear things like this. Sorry this has happened. So far so good with our 550 S4. I have only heard about shifting problems.

Welcome to the forum!!!!!!!!!!!!

2012 Polaris RZR XP 900 - UTV, Inc. Front Windshield, Trailing Arm Guards and A Arm Guards, Go Pro Mounts, Doors, Nuke Cage, and Custom Grill, Rubber Down Customs 2.5" Adjustable Lift

Check out my build thread...............http://www.gatorforums.net/forum/gat...8-bat-rsx.html
Batman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:48 AM   #3

Have you heard a lot about shifting problems? I'm glad your ride is doing well!!!
Be careful real carful!!!
Old 04-23-2013, 08:32 AM   #4
Super Moderator

I have probably heard it from about 3 or 4 ppl.

2012 Polaris RZR XP 900 - UTV, Inc. Front Windshield, Trailing Arm Guards and A Arm Guards, Go Pro Mounts, Doors, Nuke Cage, and Custom Grill, Rubber Down Customs 2.5" Adjustable Lift

Check out my build thread...............http://www.gatorforums.net/forum/gat...8-bat-rsx.html
Old 04-28-2013, 07:50 PM   #5

gamz is on a distinguished road
550 shifter problems

Have 2012 550 S4 with 42 hours. Have taken it back to dealer twice so far and it is going back to dealer tomorrow for third time same( but worse) problem!! The problem is the shifter. Shifter will jam and/or not go into gear. They have "fixed" it twice. One time blaming cold weather. This time besides not going into gear, it was in reverse even though it was shifted to neutral. This caused me to back into equipment in my garage; thankfully no damage. But the biggest concern this time, is that once in gear, it would continue to move in idle such that had to apply brake or turn off engine to stop machine!! In my opinion this is a major saftey issue. I am wondering if their is a government agency or similar where this can or should be reported. Does anyone know?
gamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:57 AM   #6

whaleya is on a distinguished road
shifting problems

On our 550 when it is hard to shift, say out of H and into R, I find that if I give it a bit of gas and move the Gator forward a few inches, then stop and it will shift. I'm not sure if this is the same shifting problem others have mentioned.

I have 68 hours so far and overall can't help but feel that there was a bit too much cost cutting in the engineering of my 550.

-W
whaleya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:17 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum gamz and whaleya!!!! I hate to hear the problems, I guess they still have not worked the bugs out. If you dealer is not fixing the issues, have you contacted deere directly?

Old 04-29-2013, 01:53 PM   #8

Wedoweebulldog is on a distinguished road
Smile 550 Transmission

I had a 550 with the same shifting problem along with an engine smoking problem. I heard that the shifting problem may be with the secondary clutch. The weights on the side of the pulley tend to stick and not allow the pulley to adjust thus letting the belt release tension. My engine problem is with head gaskets in the engine. Something is causing the head gaskets to blow. Maybe mine is an isolated case. Who knows what Deere is doing about this, I think that by now they know. So to solve my problem I traded my 550 with 20 hrs. for a HPX. When I carried my 550 back to my dealer I found that Deere was again producing the HPX. I think due to the construction industry slowdown sales dropped off the grid. The HPX was what I wanted in the first place. Supposed to be here tomorrow. We'll put it through the wringer and find the difference between the 550 and the HPX. Do you think I'll notice the difference<
Wedoweebulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:40 PM   #9

gman is on a distinguished road
sorry to hear about your problems, I am also new the the Gator nation. I got a XUV 550 last month. at 16 hours, in 4 wheel drive, going slow in any gear something would pop very loud. sometimes it felt like the tranny was slipping when it pushed too hard. it went back to dealer, they said a cable had slipped or loosened up. 2hours on it since repair, so far so good. I hope you have the same luck.
gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:47 AM   #10

Well, My 550 S4 is gone! I told them I was not taking it back and they needed to figure it out! John deeres' response was that they would only give me an extra year on my warranty for free!!! WOW who would give two s#%&s about getting an extra year warranty if the transmission is just going to continue to go out all the time!!!! The sad part is "John Deere" knows there is a major problem with the transmissions in the 550 S4 and won't do any thing to fix it!! SHAME ON THEM!!!!
How ever the DEALER stepped up and did get me into a 825i S4!!!! Not "John Deere" the huge company with their name on the product, that is supposed to be so great!!! Has left me with a very bad taste in my mouth about the company!!! But I do have a lot of good things to say about the dealer!!! well there it is friends, my two sense!!! For what it is worth!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   John Deere Gator Forums > John Deere Gator General Discussion > Gator General Discussion

Search tags for this page
gator 550 s4 4 wheel drive cable
how to change parking brake cable on a johndeere xuv 550 s4
jd gator 550 problems
john deere 550 gator

john deere gator 550 problems

john deere gator parking brake problems
john deere gator transmission problems
john deere xuv 550 s4 parking brake cable
john deere xuv gator 550 front emergency brake cable replacement
my deere hpx engine is loud
problems with 2013 gator john deer
youtube fixing the emergency brake on a 550 john deere gator
Click on a term to search for related topics.