John Deere Gator Forum - Header Left   John Deere Gator Forum - Header Right

Go Back   John Deere Gator Forums > John Deere Gator Technical Discussion > Gator Performance Modifications

Gator Performance Modifications This is the area to discuss John Deere Gator performance modifications, Gator Accessories, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2012, 08:25 AM   #1
JLo

JLo is on a distinguished road
550S4 is way to noisy

Hello,

I have a brand new 550S4. It's a nice machine but when your riding it you can't even hear yourself think, it is extremely noisy. Any comments? Any way to fix this issue?
JLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:43 AM   #2

Darth Gator is on a distinguished road
Do you mean that the exhaust is too loud?

If so, Kolpin makes a "Stealth Exhaust" you might look at.

I have not measured, researched, or known of anyone else installing this product yet, simply a suggestion.
OPS with camo lid and rear screen
Front and Rear Protection Packages
Power Bed Lift
High Performance Exhaust
Deluxe Signal Light Kit
Long Range Light Kit
3x Mid-Range Light Kits

Last edited by Darth Gator; 08-30-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Darth Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:00 AM   #3
JLo

JLo is on a distinguished road
Exhaust Noise

Yes...the exhaust is horribly noisy. I did check the Kolpin. The problem is that when you put the box in the dump position there is not much room left to put an additional muffler. The only good option is a complete replacement with a bigger better muffler. That is proving difficult and may entale building a new muffler on our own?

For certain John Deere needs to come up with a solution to this problem. I am starting to hear tons of bad comments about the noise. The machine is great otherwise
JLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:15 AM   #4

vanderrt is on a distinguished road
My 550 S4 wasn't that noisy until I put in the full Vented Windshield. If you find a way to quiet it down let me know Please!
vanderrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:59 PM   #5

dane is on a distinguished road
I have the two seat version and did some work to see what I could do to quiet it down. The short story is that nothing helped much but I got the biggest drop by sealing the front bottom edge of the dump bed to prevent noise from having a direct path to the passenger compartment. This gave me about 1db decrease in sound. I was able to lower the sound by 1db. Post #6 in this thread shows where I installed the foam. That and some of the other tricks to quiet the dump bed from rattling are the only things I might recommend.

I also installed sound deadening mat to the underside of most of the body panels. It was a lot of work and I only saw a 1db decrease in the sound. The full story of what I tried is here.

There is just so much open area for sound to get up into the passenger area that I feel it's mostly useless to attack the noise down low. There is one thing I am thinking of trying and that is installing a eggshell type sound deadening foam to the bottom side of the roof. I had little success keeping noise out of the passenger compartment but maybe killing what hits the roof and preventing it from reflecting back would be more productive.
dane is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   John Deere Gator Forums > John Deere Gator Technical Discussion > Gator Performance Modifications

Tags
loud, noisy

Search tags for this page
550 john deere gator exhaust silencer

550s4

deere 550s4 reviews
exhaust for 550 gator

gator 550s4

john deere 550 gator noise

john deere 550 quiet muffler

john deere 550s4

john deere 550s4 reviews
john deere gator 550s4 review
john deere gator 550s4 reviews
youtube john deere gator 550s4 mufflers
Click on a term to search for related topics.