New LED Lightbar on my GATOR - John Deere Gator Forums
Gator General Discussion If you need to talk about the John Deere Gator XUV/SXS/UTV and it does not fit into a more specific section down below, post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 11-26-2017, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

New LED Lightbar on my GATOR

I've had my Gator for just a little over a year, and if you all remember, I did a long Q&A about adding a winch to my Gator. Got that accomplished last year, and it's been used quite a bit, as I had two large trees cut down, and used the Gator and Winch to move the big branches for cutting those up and hauling the brush off. Been pleased with that part of the upgrade.

I have a friend who is in the Automotive light business, and he hooked me up with a 40" LED lightbar for mounting on my Gator. Took me a while to get it accomplished, but finally got around to it after harvest, and I'm really pleased with the light output! Included some pictures to see the upgrade, and also the difference the light makes!

The Gator with the mounted Lightbar Name:  LED Mounted on Gator (2).jpg
Views: 1412
Size:  3.20 MB

Gator in my back yard with just the headlights on Name:  Gator with only headlights.jpg
Views: 1104
Size:  1.49 MB

Same view, with the Lightbar turned on! Name:  LED Lightbar on.jpg
Views: 1126
Size:  2.21 MB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-27-2017, 08:29 AM

Garage
Nice !!! What brand is this?

2012 Gator 825i (new engine at 1700 hours) Power Steering-Sport Exhaust- Deluxe Cab-Heater- Work Lights On Top Front And Rear- Hella HID Driving Lights-Warn ProVantage 4500 synthetic winch-Electric Dump- Gillmore Seat Covers
post #3 of 11 Old 11-27-2017, 04:20 PM

Yeah, I like that! I'd also like to know the brand of the bar and did you use a John Deere wiring harness and switch?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 11-28-2017, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Brand of Lightbar

The lightbar I got is made by a company called XKGLOW. It is called a 40-250w Razor Light Bar.
A good friend of mine works there and he got me a great price. There are two different wiring harnesses, a short one and a long one. I think I got the short one for my install. It's fairly easy. It does come with a small round switch, but I ended up buying one off of Amazon that fits right into the rectangular holes in the Gator dash.

The only thing I did, which I don't like, is I connected the harness directly to the battery, instead of through the ignition switch, as I wasn't sure about the power consumption. It does have it's own 40 Amp inline fuse. I'll post a picture later from the side which shows the light bar off, from the front and side. Nice low profile. Include a picture of the switch too, it cost like $10.
post #5 of 11 Old 11-28-2017, 11:01 PM

looks nice, only issue is if you trail ride through the woods any low branches will hit the light bar...you can always throw a cheap relay inline so it will power up through the ignition switch..
post #6 of 11 Old 11-29-2017, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbytime View Post
looks nice, only issue is if you trail ride through the woods any low branches will hit the light bar...you can always throw a cheap relay inline so it will power up through the ignition switch..
Day after I got it hooked up, out in the woods I had that exact thought! Definitely have to watch out for low branches now. The mount is very solid, with 5/16th stainless steel bolts, and the lightbar case is extruded aluminum, so it should be fairly tough, but still something to watch for now. I put a windshield in to, and have more cautious with that too, and not as much about breaking it as just scratches.
post #7 of 11 Old 12-05-2017, 07:34 AM

Did you mount it directly to the roof? I have been wanting to add one, but I do A LOT of driving through the woods and a roof mount would not work for me. I have been trying to find something that will mount to the roll bar just below the roof. Looking for suggestions, if anyone has any. THANKS
post #8 of 11 Old 12-05-2017, 01:31 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhipper61 View Post
Did you mount it directly to the roof? I have been wanting to add one, but I do A LOT of driving through the woods and a roof mount would not work for me. I have been trying to find something that will mount to the roll bar just below the roof. Looking for suggestions, if anyone has any. THANKS
Most of the light packages, I have seen offer different mounting options. You might be able to invert a roll bar clamp to hang the lights?

2012 Gator 825i (new engine at 1700 hours) Power Steering-Sport Exhaust- Deluxe Cab-Heater- Work Lights On Top Front And Rear- Hella HID Driving Lights-Warn ProVantage 4500 synthetic winch-Electric Dump- Gillmore Seat Covers
post #9 of 11 Old 12-06-2017, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Not too worried, the lighbar I'd only 3" high and well mounted through the roof with 5/16" bolts with strong mounting brackets and the light is extruded aluminum.

With a windshield, you could not mount below rollbar or the light would reflect off the inside of it. If your concerned, there are two cut out spots on the roof, so they would be much higher than the roof line. Picture of mine installed, and switch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171201_131259_1512574607736.jpg (3.91 MB, 642 views)
File Type: jpg 20171201_131344_1512574631070.jpg (3.53 MB, 304 views)
post #10 of 11 Old 09-10-2019, 10:21 PM

Light bar on 855M

I have a JD 855M Gator and I was wondering if it would be possible to mount a 40" curved light bar to the front portion of the roof with the mounts in the recessed area. Not too sure if the brackets would be long enough. I might have to custom make something. I figure if I could mount the light to the front of the roof I could keep a lower profile. My Gator has a windshield and I'm not too keen about mounting the light bar on the windshield under the roof's overhang.
I was also wondering about routing the wires. Seems like all of the Gator's wires are running under the center console. I thought it would be nice to drill a hole and feed the wires from the light, through the roll bar and have it come out behind the seat. Wondering if that would be possible. I'd have to look at the harness first. I might have to lengthen some of the wires because of the longer run.
Any input would be appreciated.
post #11 of 11 Old Today, 07:35 AM

Garage
@bobd67 you might consider starting a new thread with your questions.

This post is about 2 years old, and could be missed by others who could help you?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   John Deere Gator Forums > John Deere Gator General Discussion > Gator General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the John Deere Gator Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode