XUV 550 will not shift while running - John Deere Gator Forums
Gator General Discussion If you need to talk about the John Deere Gator XUV/SXS/UTV and it does not fit into a more specific section down below, post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 04-07-2018, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

XUV 550 will not shift while running

1st post here.

2 part question.

Ive searched through other threads with similar issues.

I have a XUV 550 that will not shift out of gear while running. It doesnt matter if its going from forward to reverse or reverse to forward. I have to shut the engine off every time then it will allow me to shift to desired direction. Gator only has 40 hours even though its 4 years old & has been doing this pretty much since new. My dad bought it new for lake property & is no longer able to use it so Ive been using it some on hunting property.

Any recommendations on a non dealer mechanic in Kentucky or within a couple hours of 40245?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 04-08-2018, 12:57 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaker View Post
1st post here.

2 part question.

Ive searched through other threads with similar issues.

I have a XUV 550 that will not shift out of gear while running. It doesnt matter if its going from forward to reverse or reverse to forward. I have to shut the engine off every time then it will allow me to shift to desired direction. Gator only has 40 hours even though its 4 years old & has been doing this pretty much since new. My dad bought it new for lake property & is no longer able to use it so Ive been using it some on hunting property.

Any recommendations on a non dealer mechanic in Kentucky or within a couple hours of 40245?

Thanks in advance.

Cant help with a local area mechanic, however JD Clutch Doc can help you with a repair on the clutch. You can search the forum or send me a PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2012 Gator 825i (new engine at 1700 hours) Power Steering-Sport Exhaust- Deluxe Cab-Heater- Work Lights On Top Front And Rear- Hella HID Driving Lights-Warn ProVantage 4500 synthetic winch-Electric Dump- Gillmore Seat Covers
post #3 of 20 Old 04-08-2018, 06:23 AM Thread Starter

I was curious if it is a clutch issue? Also it will start while in gear (found out by accident).

Last edited by Yaker; 04-08-2018 at 07:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 04-08-2018, 08:02 AM

My 550 was doing the same thing. It's the clutch. What happens ( I believe ) is that the clutch sticks in the "closed" or engaged position, and will not release "open" to take the tension off of the belt. When the engine is off, the secondary is no longer engaged and if you are on reasonably flat ground you can sometimes convince it to shift, but it will eventually leave you stranded.

I highly recommend the clutch doc. Very reasonable prices and the result is a clutch that performs AS IT SHOULD.

The removal / installation takes a bit of time, and the clutch shroud is a pain to deal with, but if you have the tech manual [TM109819] things will go pretty smoothly. You'll also want to get a clutch removal bolt [JDG1641] .
post #5 of 20 Old 04-08-2018, 08:03 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by figaro View Post
My 550 was doing the same thing. It's the clutch. What happens ( I believe ) is that the clutch sticks in the "closed" or engaged position, and will not release "open" to take the tension off of the belt. When the engine is off, the secondary is no longer engaged and if you are on reasonably flat ground you can sometimes convince it to shift, but it will eventually leave you stranded.

I highly recommend the clutch doc. Very reasonable prices and the result is a clutch that performs AS IT SHOULD.

The removal / installation takes a bit of time, and the clutch shroud is a pain to deal with, but if you have the tech manual [TM109819] things will go pretty smoothly. You'll also want to get a clutch removal bolt [JDG1641] .

Thanks @figaro !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2012 Gator 825i (new engine at 1700 hours) Power Steering-Sport Exhaust- Deluxe Cab-Heater- Work Lights On Top Front And Rear- Hella HID Driving Lights-Warn ProVantage 4500 synthetic winch-Electric Dump- Gillmore Seat Covers
post #6 of 20 Old 04-10-2018, 06:55 PM

Yes, it is normal for the 550 to start in gear. The only thing required when starting is to depress the brake pedal.
post #7 of 20 Old 06-07-2018, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

I sent the clutch to the doc & received it back within a few days. Awesome turnaround!

I did the install today. For the 1st time since it was new I can shift gears without shutting it off. At first I was worried about low gear because it sounded like it wasnt catching the gear. After a couple times I found the gear shifter needed to be moved forward more firmly. I didnt run it much & probably wont until the end of summer when it gets closer to deer season. I did run it through the gears several times & so far so good.

Thanks to all for the help / advice.
post #8 of 20 Old 06-08-2018, 08:40 AM

Garage

Quote:
I sent the clutch to the doc & received it back within a few days. Awesome turnaround!

I did the install today. For the 1st time since it was new I can shift gears without shutting it off. At first I was worried about low gear because it sounded like it wasnt catching the gear. After a couple times I found the gear shifter needed to be moved forward more firmly. I didnt run it much & probably wont until the end of summer when it gets closer to deer season. I did run it through the gears several times & so far so good.

Thanks to all for the help / advice.

Hello yaker!
MBDiagMan Doc and I were happy to help!
Brad and Doc- JD Clutch Doc

Last edited by Bradhill; 08-14-2018 at 02:00 AM.
post #9 of 20 Old 08-13-2018, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Finally ran the gator some this past weekend & it performed flawlessly.
post #10 of 20 Old 08-14-2018, 02:01 AM

Garage
Quote:
Finally ran the gator some this past weekend & it performed flawlessly.

Fantastic!! Thanks for the update!

Brad and Doc

post #11 of 20 Old 09-03-2018, 12:48 AM

xuv 550 clutch

I have question on the cost & turn around time on xuv 550 clutch rebuild thanks.
post #12 of 20 Old 09-03-2018, 09:30 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by butchman View Post
I have question on the cost & turn around time on xuv 550 clutch rebuild thanks.

PM Sent on behalf of JD Clutch Doc

post #13 of 20 Old 09-07-2018, 12:23 AM

Not to put anyone out of a job but a cluch job is easy on the 550.

Actually it's better to check it before sending it off anyway.

Remove top of the clutch cover and loosen the 10mm bolts while spinning it round, do not remove the center bolt yet.
Now you should have a little space to turn the rollers and check them for flatness.
If you do not have clearance loosen the center bolt slightly.
If they are flat on one side remove entirely and check for any side to side movement of the assembled clutch

If there is no play side to side if you push it in and the wall where the "star" rides on is not worn out then you can just install a new rebuild kit yourself.

If you can not find any problems here clean it well and reassemble it.

Test drive and if problem stays check the rear for wear.

Obviously this is a rough guide and I've Seen clutches just crap out for no reason
A big hint for a worn clutch is a delayed click when you release the gas.
post #14 of 20 Old 04-27-2019, 09:40 PM

xuv 550 Clutch removal tool

Hi Guys
Does any one have the specs on the clutch removal tool.JDG1641.
I canot get one in Australia for about 3 weeks so thought i would turn one up.
TIA
Brett
post #15 of 20 Old 04-28-2019, 02:52 AM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweppo View Post
Hi Guys

Does any one have the specs on the clutch removal tool.JDG1641.

I canot get one in Australia for about 3 weeks so thought i would turn one up.

TIA

Brett

JDG 1641 Clutch removal tool workaround

1/2-12x 6.0" long Grade 8 bolt (Course or fine threads... It doesn't matter)

9/16-18x4.0" long Grade 8 bolt

Cut the threads and hex head from the 1/2" bolt leaving just the shank of approximately 3.37" long. Make both cuts square to prevent side loads during removal.

Put the 1/2" shank into the hole first. Lube the 9/16-18 threads (I used anti-seize) and crank away.

On edit:

Author of the above narrative is @200mph.

Last edited by Bradhill; 04-28-2019 at 02:39 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   John Deere Gator Forums > John Deere Gator General Discussion > Gator General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the John Deere Gator Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode