2010 HPX mis fire under load - John Deere Gator Forums
Gator General Discussion If you need to talk about the John Deere Gator XUV/SXS/UTV and it does not fit into a more specific section down below, post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 05-16-2018, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

2010 HPX mis fire under load

Hello I am new to this forum and looking for some assistance. I have a 2010 HPX with a Kawasaki vtwin engine. The machine starts fine and runs great until gas is applied then it spits and sputters and sometimes it will take off. Other times it seems to be running on only 1 cylinder. Here is a list of items I have done. Gator has 1743 hrs

Fuel pump flow test
Changed fuel filter
Changed oil made sure it was not overfull
Drained gas tank then added 93 octane
Checked valve clearance. In spec
Cleaned carb. Carb looked very good for most part but did have a lot of carbon. Main jets were 57 air adjustment screws set at 2 1/2 turns each. I am slightly above sea level.
Removed plugs. A lot of carbon put new plugs in BPR2ES
Spark arrestor removed.
Ran engine with out air intake -no change
Replaced one coil - my thought was it was loosing a cylinder. I could not find a test for this in the service manual. -no changed swapped the other two coils no change

Here are my questions
1. Has anyone had a igniter moduale failure on these? This is the first item before the coils on the wire diagram
2. My carbon problems, has anyone adjusted the carb to lean it out a little with the two adjustment screws on top? How about a hotter spark plug?
3. A thought I had was the exhaust is plugged robbing power but that may not explain the mis fire.
4. On my carb the parts manual shows two pilot jets on outside of either carb. Mine did not have those. Are there different carbs for different gas machines?

Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-29-2018, 05:01 AM Thread Starter

A follow up here. I disconnected the fuel shut off solenoid in the carb and the machine seemed to run better but still had a slight mis under exceleration. (93 octaine). When I hooked the solenoid back up the engine would idle but misses completely throughout exceleration. I tested the wiring and it has 12v at solenoid when key is turned. I also tested the solenoid according to the service manual and it tests good. This machine had its fuel shutoff solenoid replaced (170$) about 400 hrs ago.

When the 93 ran out I filled up with 87. With the solenoid disconnected as before the machine runs very poorly again does not idle well and misses under exceleration. Connect the solenoid and idles perfect but misses under exceleratiin again.

Does octane make that much difference in these motors? States 91 on valve cover but book states 87.

Any help diagnosing would be appreciated.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-29-2018, 05:03 AM Thread Starter

I did also find a coil test in the book and both tested within spec.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 05-29-2018, 06:09 AM

I'm not that familiar with this machine, but I'll throw these out there in the event they are relevant to your machine.

1. Did you check the spark plug wires by measuring the resistance in each one (ohms)? Also check to make certain the wire insulation is sound and not shorting along it's path. Sometimes it helps to test this at night, so the sparks are easier to see.
2. Did you do a compression check? Report finding if so.
3. Did you check float level to make certain it isn't too high, float sticking, saturated with fuel, etc? Could also have a leaking needle/seat.
4. Did you actually take the carb apart and verify all passages are clear/clean without obstructions?

Do you have a spark tester or a timing light? I've used both to see if the miss is fuel or electrical related. The strobe action of the light will be obvious when there is no spark.

2012 JD855D OPS Black Poly Roof, Deluxe Cargo Box, Front and Rear Protection, Power Lift, Front Hood Rack, Rear Screen (homemade), 800 Watt Inverter, 2500lb Winch installed in cargo bed, Front and Rear LED auxiliary lighting (4" square 27 watt), Front and Rear CV Guards, Koplin Side Mirrors
post #5 of 10 Old 05-29-2018, 07:13 AM

Garage
Personally I would drain the 87 octane ( presumably with ethanol) and refill with 91 octane (without ethanol) also add a fuel additive such as SeaFoam or Mechanic in a Bottle with the fresh fuel.

You may have introduced some bad gas in the system when you added the 87 octane ?

FFIW I never run any ethanol in my Gator or outdoor equipment.

2012 Gator 825i (new engine at 1700 hours) Power Steering-Sport Exhaust- Deluxe Cab-Heater- Work Lights On Top Front And Rear- Hella HID Driving Lights-Warn ProVantage 4500 synthetic winch-Electric Dump- Gillmore Seat Covers
post #6 of 10 Old 08-24-2018, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Update here. Sorry it took me so long to update this thread. I ordered new carb gasket kit which included intake gaskets and carb gaskets and the plastic spacer plate. I also replaced all gaskets in the carb and the jets in carb but saved the old ones as they looked fine (37.5 pilot and 75 main). I set the idle mixture screws at 2 turns out at first then checked the plugs after few hours then turned the rear out another 1/2 turn and the front out 1/4 turn. Then I adjusted the idle again.

The gasket material was very dried and I am assuming it was sucking air in at some point making the engine stumble. It has been running great now for about 70hrs. Still is cold blooded upon startup however, the choke helps this but nobody uses it for some reason.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180625_061147_992_1535130702675.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	245.7 KB
ID:	10481  
post #7 of 10 Old 08-25-2018, 01:52 PM

Thanks for reporting back what you found.

Hope it continues to run well for you!

2012 JD855D OPS Black Poly Roof, Deluxe Cargo Box, Front and Rear Protection, Power Lift, Front Hood Rack, Rear Screen (homemade), 800 Watt Inverter, 2500lb Winch installed in cargo bed, Front and Rear LED auxiliary lighting (4" square 27 watt), Front and Rear CV Guards, Koplin Side Mirrors
post #8 of 10 Old 05-28-2019, 06:15 AM Thread Starter

The HPX is now up to 1900 hrs and still running well. What I have found is that the Kawasaki engine seems to be very finicky with any slight air leaks in the intake gasket area. These are sometimes hard to spot as in a dried gasket. I have a 04 Kawasaki FE400 single cylinder engine in a utility cart that has the same stumble as this gator did. Hopefully the same repair will fix that one as well.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-28-2019, 09:29 AM

Thanks for the follow up after several months of use.

It's important to close these threads like you did with long term results. There are too many threads in this forum where the OP asks for help only never to be heard from again. The quality of post detail and follow up will help others for years to come, assuming they take the time to search.

It's also a good idea to check flange flatness (gasket surface) and adjust if needed before reassembly.

Hope your success continues.

post #10 of 10 Old 05-28-2019, 12:07 PM

Garage
@200mph well said, thank you @Sean2202 for posting your follow up.

2012 Gator 825i (new engine at 1700 hours) Power Steering-Sport Exhaust- Deluxe Cab-Heater- Work Lights On Top Front And Rear- Hella HID Driving Lights-Warn ProVantage 4500 synthetic winch-Electric Dump- Gillmore Seat Covers

Lower Navigation
Go Back   John Deere Gator Forums > John Deere Gator General Discussion > Gator General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the John Deere Gator Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode