XUV550 Clutch Removal Tool List - John Deere Gator Forums
Gator General Discussion If you need to talk about the John Deere Gator XUV/SXS/UTV and it does not fit into a more specific section down below, post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 05-17-2018, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

XUV550 Clutch Removal Tool List

Does anyone have a list of tools (sizes) needed for the clutch removal on the XUV550? Mine is at the lake 2 hours away & Iím trying to be prepared when I go to remove the clutch.

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-17-2018, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

post #3 of 16 Old 05-18-2018, 08:51 AM

Garage
XUV550 Clutch Removal Tool List

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaker View Post
Does anyone have a list of tools (sizes) needed for the clutch removal on the XUV550? Mine is at the lake 2 hours away & Iím trying to be prepared when I go to remove the clutch.

TIA

Check out this video on YouTube. One of the members here @Evan165 produced the video, he does a great job of going through the clutch removal process, he also speaks to the tools needed.

2012 Gator 825i (new engine at 1700 hours) Power Steering-Sport Exhaust- Deluxe Cab-Heater- Work Lights On Top Front And Rear- Hella HID Driving Lights-Warn ProVantage 4500 synthetic winch-Electric Dump- Gillmore Seat Covers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 05-20-2018, 06:55 AM

I'm too lazy to watch the video but...

Your first reaction might be to only try and remove the clutch covers. I've found it easier to remove the bed and side body panels to make access easier. A Torx T20 bit in a cordless drill helps speed things up. Then for the clutch covers you'll need a 10mm socket. Most of the bolts are easily accessible but a couple are buggers. Using a 1/4" socket helps as does having a good variety of extensions and a universal joint.
post #5 of 16 Old 05-20-2018, 08:45 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dane View Post

Your first reaction might be to only try and remove the clutch covers. I've found it easier to remove the bed and side body panels to make access easier. A Torx T20 bit in a cordless drill helps speed things up. Then for the clutch covers you'll need a 10mm socket. Most of the bolts are easily accessible but a couple are buggers. Using a 1/4" socket helps as does having a good variety of extensions and a universal joint.

Thanks dane!

2012 Gator 825i (new engine at 1700 hours) Power Steering-Sport Exhaust- Deluxe Cab-Heater- Work Lights On Top Front And Rear- Hella HID Driving Lights-Warn ProVantage 4500 synthetic winch-Electric Dump- Gillmore Seat Covers
post #6 of 16 Old 05-20-2018, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dane View Post

Appreciate it!
post #7 of 16 Old 05-21-2018, 12:39 PM

Garage
I can't remember the sizes but you also need some large sized metric sockets and an adjustable wrench since you'll have to get the bed off of it to change the clutch out. Don't forget a lug wrench as well and jackstands as you need get the rear wheel off.

I have a large Stanley toolkit (http://a.co/1w4yUxi) , a larger adjustable wrench, and a Torx bit set that I keep near my Gator... seems to cover almost everything. A Drill/Driver and Impact wrench are also helpful. The Drill/Driver is better for the trim screws so you run a lower risk of stripping out the threads when putting them back in.

Also, you need a clutch puller tool... JDG 1641 should be the right one for the Primary Clutch; JDG11200 only fit my driven clutch but was what the dealer sent me; as a side note, my local dealer said they "can't" sell me either tool. I made the puller for use on the primary clutch using the instructions in another thread (https://www.gatorforums.net/forum/gat...850d-855d.html). I used a 7/16 diameter bolt in place of the 1/2" bolt. It took about 5-10 minutes with the angle grinder and a dremel to cut the bolt, bevel the edges, and smooth then ends. I used #8 bolts for both... don't forget the anti-seize on the threads and to lubricate the ends.

Also, be prepared for some busted knuckles, I swear that they make this as hard as possible to do at home. I definitely needed to pull all the body panels and the bed plus loosening the air cleaner housing to get enough space to work on the clutch. It was just time consuming to get everything off and the clutch out... although there was that break when I discovered that JDG11200 didn't work and then needed to source/make the right tool.

Last edited by MJ_Atl; 05-21-2018 at 01:03 PM.
post #8 of 16 Old 05-21-2018, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ_Atl View Post
I can't remember the sizes but you also need some large sized metric sockets and an adjustable wrench since you'll have to get the bed off of it to change the clutch out. Don't forget a lug wrench as well and jackstands as you need get the rear wheel off.

I have a large Stanley toolkit (http://a.co/1w4yUxi) , a larger adjustable wrench, and a Torx bit set that I keep near my Gator... seems to cover almost everything. A Drill/Driver and Impact wrench are also helpful. The Drill/Driver is better for the trim screws so you run a lower risk of stripping out the threads when putting them back in.

Also, you need a clutch puller tool... JDG 1641 should be the right one for the Primary Clutch; JDG11200 only fit my driven clutch but was what the dealer sent me; as a side note, my local dealer said they "can't" sell me either tool. I made the puller for use on the primary clutch using the instructions in another thread (https://www.gatorforums.net/forum/gat...850d-855d.html). I used a 7/16 diameter bolt in place of the 1/2" bolt. It took about 5-10 minutes with the angle grinder and a dremel to cut the bolt, bevel the edges, and smooth then ends. I used #8 bolts for both... don't forget the anti-seize on the threads and to lubricate the ends.

Also, be prepared for some busted knuckles, I swear that they make this as hard as possible to do at home. I definitely needed to pull all the body panels and the bed plus loosening the air cleaner housing to get enough space to work on the clutch. It was just time consuming to get everything off and the clutch out... although there was that break when I discovered that JDG11200 didn't work and then needed to source/make the right tool.
Thanks! I ordered the bolt new off eBay for $18. 😉
post #9 of 16 Old 05-22-2018, 10:19 AM

Garage
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks! I ordered the bolt new off eBay for $18.

Hello yaker

If you could please post a link to the tool? That is a fantastic price for a JDG1641!
Thanks

post #10 of 16 Old 05-22-2018, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradhill View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks! I ordered the bolt new off eBay for $18.

Hello yaker

If you could please post a link to the tool? That is a fantastic price for a JDG1641!
Thanks

Looks like they only had the one.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F332639665932
post #11 of 16 Old 05-24-2018, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

Goodness!

The clutch is off. I guess it wasnít all that bad just time consuming having to remove everything to get to it. I took several videos to help jog my memory when itís time to reinstall. Thanks to all for the help / advice.
post #12 of 16 Old 05-24-2018, 04:07 AM

Garage
Quote:
Goodness!

The clutch is off. I guess it wasnít all that bad just time consuming having to remove everything to get to it. I took several videos to help jog my memory when itís time to reinstall. Thanks to all for the help / advice.

Great news!!!

post #13 of 16 Old 05-24-2018, 05:22 AM

Yea, 3/4 the job is removing the bed and body panels to get to it. Long ago the first time I had to get to the clutch I tried not removing anything. Then just a few body panels. It was quite a waste of time and caused a lot of skinned knuckles. Now, I feel like a race car pit crew as I quickly strip off panels before ever getting down to the real work.
post #14 of 16 Old 05-24-2018, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Any other maintenance to think about while Iím at it? 2014 model with 52 hours.
post #15 of 16 Old 05-25-2018, 06:07 AM

It's a good time for an engine oil change and you should inspect the air filter. I would give the CV boots a inspection looking for cracks. Then just give everything a general looking over while you have the panels off. It also wouldn't hurt to look at the brake pads to make sure they don't need replacing.

---
Here are the things I have had trouble with on my 550:

Primary Clutch: After having it tuned my MBDiagman it has been working properly.

Engine Head Gasket: Early models of the engine had a head gasket very prone to blowing. There is a good chance that yours has been replaced already. From what I've heard the replacement gaskets are good and took care of the problem.

Parking Brake Cable: It's pretty obvious when it breaks. Deere has redesigned the part and so far the new one has not broken.

---
Only use 4WD when it is truly necessary and when the wheels can slip. Turning sharp on firm ground with 4WD engaged can snap a drive shaft. You don't have to avoid 4WD but just be mindful that it puts a strain on things when turning sharply and the wheels can't slip.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   John Deere Gator Forums > John Deere Gator General Discussion > Gator General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the John Deere Gator Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode