620i voltage regulator question - John Deere Gator Forums
Gator General Discussion If you need to talk about the John Deere Gator XUV/SXS/UTV and it does not fit into a more specific section down below, post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 09-18-2018, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

620i voltage regulator question

2008 620i not charging the battery.

Engine runs as long as a charged battery is connected.
Engine dies if the battery is disconnected while unit is running, (I assume it should continue to run).
Output from stator is about 32 volts AC across all combinations of the 3 outputs. I think those are good numbers.
Voltage across battery stays about 12v when unit is running, does not go up to 14v as i would expect.
When regulator output harness is unplugged, the output from regulator is about 4.5v DC (red to black).

Does this sound like a bad regulator? Just wondering about what i should expect as an output when measuring unplugged (the 4.5v number). Would a regulator fail in this way?

In my limited electronics understanding, I theorize that only 1 of the 3 phases from the stator is making it out of the regulator and two of them are not; since, if all 3 were making it out then it would add to 14.5 or so? (3 x 4.5)...or am I showing my lack of understanding? So there are two bad rectifiers inside the voltage regulator(?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-18-2018, 01:38 PM

Sounds like a regulator but even then it's a quicker fix than the stator so worth the shot.

Voltage should be up to 14.6 or .8 maximum
If you have a full battery this number will get lower but always a few points higher than stationary.

As a disclaimer for others we sometimes test this when hooked up to a large battery so it can not give false readings.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-26-2018, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply....

So, I put a new regulator in it. Disconnected cables from the dead battery. Hooked up a jumper battery. With the jumper battery hooked up, it idles with 14.7 v across the battery cables (that's an improvement).

If I disconnect the jumper battery while the engine is running, it hunts for an idle and barely runs. The voltage reads all over the place. ---If everything was perfect, should the gator run OK with no battery connected? or does the electrical/charging system need that base voltage to work off of?

Is this a difference between charging with a stator set up vs an alternator??

It has sat around a lot. Gas may be a bit stale.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-27-2018, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestut View Post
Thanks for the reply....

So, I put a new regulator in it. Disconnected cables from the dead battery. Hooked up a jumper battery. With the jumper battery hooked up, it idles with 14.7 v across the battery cables (that's an improvement).

If I disconnect the jumper battery while the engine is running, it hunts for an idle and barely runs. The voltage reads all over the place. ---If everything was perfect, should the gator run OK with no battery connected? or does the electrical/charging system need that base voltage to work off of?

Is this a difference between charging with a stator set up vs an alternator??

It has sat around a lot. Gas may be a bit stale.
If it has 14.7 volts that tells me enough.
That's an excellent charge and honestly a tad more than I sometimes see.
As far as i know it should be able to run without battery but there are always variables.
It could be just not running right anyway but having no battery might make the problem worse

Hunting mostly indicates either bad gas, water in carb or valve clearance needs to be adjusted.
cant remember if its briggs or kawasaki
For kawasaki clearances are 0.004 in 0.006 ex
For briggs you have to Google

Start with easiest fixes and work to harder ones
post #5 of 7 Old 07-18-2019, 09:35 AM

i have a 620i gator and older one that wont crank when you turn the key on could this be the volotage regulator i have power going into the regulator but not out of it? i have the correct ohms going in to it as well. it has a new starter in it and a new battery as well. i checked the ohms on the coils and it is all over the place could this be the cause of it not wanting to crank over and raise the cargo bed?

Last edited by noah; 07-18-2019 at 10:05 AM.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-19-2019, 01:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
i have a 620i gator and older one that wont crank when you turn the key on could this be the volotage regulator i have power going into the regulator but not out of it? i have the correct ohms going in to it as well. it has a new starter in it and a new battery as well. i checked the ohms on the coils and it is all over the place could this be the cause of it not wanting to crank over and raise the cargo bed?
I don't think the voltage regulator is the problem.

My gator does not have a bed lift, so I don't know if it is supposed to work without the engine running. If it IS supposed to work even with the engine off, and it is not working, then you should check for blown fuses.

You say the engine wont crank, does that mean it won't turn when you try to start it?
post #7 of 7 Old 07-19-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestut View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
I don't think the voltage regulator is the problem.

My gator does not have a bed lift, so I don't know if it is supposed to work without the engine running. If it IS supposed to work even with the engine off, and it is not working, then you should check for blown fuses.

You say the engine wont crank, does that mean it won't turn when you try to start it?

i actually have it starting now and cranking over but the cargo box lift is a kit for this gator. i don't have any blown fuses and it still will not lift the bed.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   John Deere Gator Forums > John Deere Gator General Discussion > Gator General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the John Deere Gator Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in