Anyone DIY a 20 gallon tank w spray boom on gator? - John Deere Gator Forums
Gator General Discussion If you need to talk about the John Deere Gator XUV/SXS/UTV and it does not fit into a more specific section down below, post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 10-21-2018, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Arrow Anyone DIY a 20 gallon tank w spray boom on gator?

Ok so ive seen the 25 and 60 gallon gator specific tank and spray boom set ups for between $400 and $500. Trying to do this on the cheap since the set up will only be used a few times a year. My idea was a 4' spray bar from amazon $78.00 (gator boom for $70). And a 15 gallon 12 volt tank from HF $100. Use some plumbing fittings to tie the two together and go nuts... Was going to use for fertilizer/bug sprays around the property. The 4' bar I was going to mount on the rear hitch receiver which is pretty close to the ground or hang it off the tailgate with a metal extension...

If any of you guys want to share your projects id like to get some ideas and tips.

2000 Gator 4x2

Last edited by SouthLake; 10-21-2018 at 10:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 10-21-2018, 11:29 PM

Offtopic a little but a free bump.

We got customers who have put on 260 gallon tanks on a tx and hpx.
It's so much it's retarded
Seen them snap axles break shocks and even snap in half frames.

If I see one I'll snap a picture for the sprayer setup

Last edited by טים ירושלמי; 10-21-2018 at 11:42 PM.
post #3 of 18 Old 10-22-2018, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Garage
lol 260 that is crazy!

2000 Gator 4x2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 10-22-2018, 11:53 PM

You have the right idea if cheapest is the highest priority. Bare basics and your bug beatin and weed killin. Just keep in mind, the pump that comes on the tank from HF is....well it is what it is. You’ll probably be replacing it annually. Maybe not if you flush it out after every time it’s used. I use the tank wash from TSC and Deere. They work both the same. It just depends what store I am at when I remember that I need more. I have a DIY spray rig that is built using a 40 gal. tank from Deere. It is a bit more complicated than the standard spray tank. I have a commercial grade continuous run pump with a bypass. I’ll try to remember to get a pic of it to post here.

About the spray bar part. I like the receiver hitch mount type. You can make the hight adjustable and still be able to open/close you tail gate. The tailgate mount, tailgate is stuck in whatever position the bar is designed to be mounted. Plus no hight adjustments.

Just my two cents.
post #5 of 18 Old 10-23-2018, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Granger, what spray bar did you use?

A guy at work was saying the when the pump fails on the HF tank that you can replace it with a "better" one, that they are kind of standard?

ive also seen the single 'nozzle' type sprayer it looks like a flattened duck bill that sprays out a 5' spread from a single point, that might put down too much product though. (dousing vs spraying)

2000 Gator 4x2
post #6 of 18 Old 04-30-2019, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Wanted to update this thread...
So I ended up purchasing this 26 gallon 2-boom tank sprayer from Northern Tool. It was packaged very poorly, I had to replace a pickup tube which NT took care of. I removed the short spray wand hose, and replaced it with this 3/8th x 50' of pneumatic hose. The spray wand is pretty bad. Even though it's all metal with brass tip, I dont like the spray pattern or stream. I feel like you can't reduce it enough, that it's always putting out too much product. I will prob swap the wand out. The other thing is the pump pressure adjustment is facing outward on the right side, so adjusting the pressure / rate on the fly is impossible. To keep it in the bed, just simple rubber straps on the handles pulling the tank towards the front of the bed does the trick to keep it stable. It comes with a hand toggle switch so running the quick clamps to the battery is easy, and you just toggle it for start / stop.

In my particular case I needed 1 oz of product per 1000 sq feet, I mix an ounce to a gallon. The nozzles are supposedly pre-calibarated and a chart is included. In this case I run 20 PSI at 2 MPH from 20" nozzle height and that's 1 gallon per 1000 sq feet according to the chart.

Storage: its kind of big and bulky, I hooked up pulleys from the inside of the shed roof, so I just back the gator in, hook the lines up to the tank handles, and it hoists out and hangs out of way from the roof until its needed again.

It's not perfect, but it's pretty cheap by sprayer tank standards. For occasional residential use this system seems to get the job done. It's only the first time ive used it so I cant speak to longevity. And its my first experience with any tank sprayer so I had a bit of a learning curve trying to figure out the product application.

2000 Gator 4x2

Last edited by SouthLake; 04-30-2019 at 09:41 AM.
post #7 of 18 Old 04-30-2019, 10:33 AM

Garage
Anyone DIY a 20 gallon tank w spray boom on gator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthLake View Post
Storage: its kind of big and bulky, I hooked up pulleys from the inside of the shed roof, so I just back the gator in, hook the lines up to the tank handles, and it hoists out and hangs out of way from the roof until it is needed again...

Great work Kevin, however you really need to scrub yer floor

Something I learned the hard way, always triple wash the tank, pump and lines after each use, at the of the season run a couple gallons of pink RV type antifreeze through the pump, lines and disconnect the spray tips...if you should have freezing conditions.

2012 Gator 825i (new engine at 1700 hours) Power Steering-Sport Exhaust- Deluxe Cab-Heater- Work Lights On Top Front And Rear- Hella HID Driving Lights-Warn ProVantage 4500 synthetic winch-Electric Dump- Gillmore Seat Covers

Last edited by Bradhill; 04-30-2019 at 11:11 AM.
post #8 of 18 Old 04-30-2019, 10:55 AM

You will not get anything done with a 15 gallon tank and a boom spray bar. Each head should be doing close to 1 GPM. You will need 2 heads to cover 6-7 feet of spray width. So 2 GPM on a 15 gallon tank means a lot of refills to accomplish much.

I have a homemade system. I don't have any pictures of the setup, but have my spray bar mounted to a 2" receiver, then I hose up to the 12v pump that sits on a board in the bed from a 60 gallon vertical tank. Reason I chose a vertical tank is so that i can still use my bed. I can get a picture of the setup when I get home, but it will be all the pieces as I am not spraying yet for the season.

2011 825i
post #9 of 18 Old 04-30-2019, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbilly2 View Post
You will not get anything done with a 15 gallon tank and a boom spray bar. Each head should be doing close to 1 GPM. You will need 2 heads to cover 6-7 feet of spray width. So 2 GPM on a 15 gallon tank means a lot of refills to accomplish much.
huh?

its 26 gallons, two heads, width is roughly 6 feet. More than adequate to treat lawn area of wooded acreage. 26,000 sq feet of capacity is plenty.

2000 Gator 4x2

Last edited by SouthLake; 04-30-2019 at 11:32 AM.
post #10 of 18 Old 04-30-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:

And a 15 gallon 12 volt tank from HF $100.
Sorry, you said 15 gallon tank in the original post... I missed that you were the OP now with a 26 gallon tank part. My bad.

2011 825i
post #11 of 18 Old 05-02-2019, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Garage
does anyone here have experience with using dye?

2000 Gator 4x2
post #12 of 18 Old 05-02-2019, 11:34 AM

Garage
Quote:

Yes I have used dye, it works ok kinda spendy tho.. make sure you wash your equipment well after use...

2012 Gator 825i (new engine at 1700 hours) Power Steering-Sport Exhaust- Deluxe Cab-Heater- Work Lights On Top Front And Rear- Hella HID Driving Lights-Warn ProVantage 4500 synthetic winch-Electric Dump- Gillmore Seat Covers
post #13 of 18 Old 05-02-2019, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Thanks Granger, what spray bar did you use?

A guy at work was saying the when the pump fails on the HF tank that you can replace it with a "better" one, that they are kind of standard?

ive also seen the single 'nozzle' type sprayer it looks like a flattened duck bill that sprays out a 5' spread from a single point, that might put down too much product though. (dousing vs spraying)
My apologies! I’m just seeing this now. I really dropped the ball on this one.

Your correct, most pumps (12 volt ones) are kinda standard on the mounting holes.

I have seen and read about the single nozzle spray bar. I personally do not like it bc it has to be mounted high up to be able to get the proper spread. Too much wind drift for where I spray. I have a homemade spray bar that works well. The bar itself is the same width of the gator. My nozzles are low to the ground and the spray pattern faces out to the back to keep the wider pattern, as opposed to pointing down and not getting the entire fan of the nozzle.

Really sorry to hear the bad luck your having with the North Star rig. That is what I would have recommended had I would’ve responded to your question on time. I use a North Star commercial pump on a 40 gal John Deere tank. I’m on my second season with it. Hope this info helps. Let me know if you have any other questions. Hopefully I’ll answer in less than a year this time...
post #14 of 18 Old 05-02-2019, 11:20 PM

Quote:
I have used dye as well. Agree with Brad. It works “ok”. Blue dye on green grass=you have to look really good to see it. Plus you have to rinse your equipment before it dries on whatever is splashed onto to keep it from permanently staining.

On a side note, I use the tank/ pump cleaner sold by Deere after every use. It has served me well. I buy it from my local dealership. I too highly recommend using some sort of spray pump cleaner after each use. You might be able to get some at northern tool, I know you can get some at tractor supply.
post #15 of 18 Old 05-03-2019, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Garage
thanks Brad and Granger, sounds like i will pass on the dye... But I do need to pick up the tank wash. I like this sprayer, the booms sit almost exactly at 20" above the ground, the pattern is good, and their application rate calculations seem to match the chainsaw calculations at home with the unit. The whole unit sits perfectly in the bed of the gator with lots of room for 50' of hose too for the wand. NT was good at getting the parts to me that broke during shipping so they made good on it. I wish there was a way i could see the pressure gauge while driving though, it seems to fluctuate a bit. I might stick a mirror over there so i can monitor it.

The wand puts out wayyyy too much product. Im coming from a 4 gallon chapin backpack sprayer. I ordered another wand for the backpack sprayer and im going to try to adapt it to fit the North Star. The NPT tip on the included northstar wand cant be changed.

2000 Gator 4x2

Lower Navigation
Go Back   John Deere Gator Forums > John Deere Gator General Discussion > Gator General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the John Deere Gator Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode