JD RSX 860M hard to shift - John Deere Gator Forums
Gator General Discussion If you need to talk about the John Deere Gator XUV/SXS/UTV and it does not fit into a more specific section down below, post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 03-03-2019, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

JD RSX 860M hard to shift

I've a 2018 JD RSX 860M, 15 hours or so only. However it is getting hard to shift gears (similar issue as shown in this youtube video
). Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-03-2019, 10:37 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmoa View Post
I've a 2018 JD RSX 860M, 15 hours or so only. However it is getting hard to shift gears (similar issue as shown in this youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1i827lMm6Tw). Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

John

I wish this video was taken off YouTube, the solution they offer is the worst thing you can do for the hard to shift Gator.

For those not familiar with this video, the publisher lubricates the clutch with a spray lubricant. While in the short term this solution may help, in the long term it masks the root cause AND collects dirt and grime which will compound the real issue. Even dry lubricants will collect dirt and grime.

Have you taken your Gator in for service on this issue? If so what was the dealers solution?

JD Clutch Doc can help with a long term fix for hard to shift issues on JD Gators.

Contact JD Clutch Doc at [email protected] for more information.

2012 Gator 825i (new engine at 1700 hours) Power Steering-Sport Exhaust- Deluxe Cab-Heater- Work Lights On Top Front And Rear- Hella HID Driving Lights-Warn ProVantage 4500 synthetic winch-Electric Dump- Gillmore Seat Covers
post #3 of 11 Old 03-03-2019, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the comment Bradhill. The gator was bought last April so it might be still under warranty. I'll check. Meanwhile do you think the dealer would do anything as it is still working just hard to shift?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 03-04-2019, 12:19 AM

I second that Brad. 100%!

Any kind of lubricant will attract dust, dirt, sand, etc. You will do way more harm than good by putting that stuff in a clutch. They are designed to be ran without that. If there are issues with the clutch then it needs repair not lube.

Clutch Doc is absolutely hands down the repair master on sticking clutch issues. Not because I know him, or advertise for him. But because it’s TRUE! My clutch has not gone out yet, but a friend of mine (and neighbor) did. He had clutch doc work his magic. He says, and I agree (from driving and riding his gator before and after) that it is better than show room floor new.

PS: I just read that your machine is still under warranty. I hope your dealer takes good care of you. Please keep us posted.
post #5 of 11 Old 03-04-2019, 08:35 AM

Garage
JD RSX 860M hard to shift

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmoa View Post
Thanks for the comment Bradhill. The gator was bought last April so it might be still under warranty. I'll check. Meanwhile do you think the dealer would do anything as it is still working just hard to shift?

@kingmoa youre welcome!

Deere has replaced the primary clutch in the past while under warranty.

Deere has issued a PIP or Product Improvement Program on this issue for other models in the past for Gators that have been out of warranty.

I sincerely hope your 2018 RSX 860 is still under warranty and your dealer is able to replace the clutch without any cost to you.

I would be remiss if I didnt mention we have read time and time again numerous replacement clutchs have also failed.

2012 Gator 825i (new engine at 1700 hours) Power Steering-Sport Exhaust- Deluxe Cab-Heater- Work Lights On Top Front And Rear- Hella HID Driving Lights-Warn ProVantage 4500 synthetic winch-Electric Dump- Gillmore Seat Covers

Last edited by Bradhill; 03-04-2019 at 11:00 AM.
post #6 of 11 Old 03-08-2019, 07:21 AM

We also purchased a new Rsx860m this last fall. With only 8 hrs on it and had hard time shifting. Took it back to dealer and they said they took everything apart inspected it. Said something about magnet bottons in clutch sticking but when I got it back I haven’t had a problem since. Was done under warranty.
post #7 of 11 Old 03-08-2019, 10:54 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaincat2002 View Post
We also purchased a new Rsx860m this last fall. With only 8 hrs on it and had hard time shifting. Took it back to dealer and they said they took everything apart inspected it. Said something about magnet bottons in clutch sticking but when I got it back I havent had a problem since. Was done under warranty.

Good news !

post #8 of 11 Old 03-11-2019, 08:40 AM

As a Forum member for several years I continue to see reports of "hard to shift" clutch issues on various models of Gators and am struck by the apparent long term and unresolved quality control issues at the point of manufacturing. My assumption (perhaps unfounded) is that the JD dealership network reports both the warranty and non-warranty claims to JD corporate but I have seen no change in the real world frequency of these clutch issues.

I have a 625i Gator with unrelated issues and I have been unable to find a JD Corporate "feedback" page on their web site. Have I missed something or how can Gator owners collectively insure that JD Corporate gets an ear full of their product related failures?

625I: black & olive, roof, full windshield,front cargo rack, floor mats, Koplin tool grips, front cv guards, mid-range front lights, cargo bed protectors,
post #9 of 11 Old 03-15-2019, 10:03 PM

I have a 2016 860i rsx and when the machine got warm only after a mile or two you could hardly shift it to reverse of low gear. I went to my dealership and the regional rep was there that day and he said that he would game care of it. So here was the solution for the machine with only 69 hours and 375 miles: I told them about Larry the clutch doc in Texas that fine tunes the belt spacing and mics the entire clutch assembly. I told them it was useless tothe put a new clutch in with the same tight tolerances not right or precise so they give me a brand new clutch in the box and let me ship it to larry with a check from me for $175.00 plus the cost to ship it so he could machine and polish it to exact specs. When I got it back after a couple of weeks I took it to my dealership and the took care of the cost of new clutch they had give me to have the work done by Larry the clutch doc and installation costs. I paid the machining costs. Now there is no more problems and won't be because it now has proper clearances go move freely and disengage at idle. The wear buttons are so tight on these you can't hardly move them by hand. Larry has done over 1000 of these clutches with no call backs. (DO NOT LUBE THESE UNLESS YOU WANT CATASTROPHIC FAILURE). My machine would not disengage at all and would get up to 2 mph on its own just by taking foot of brake and no disengagement and when in neutral would cause rpms to increase significantly. Clutch doc Larry Bible 307-335-4916
post #10 of 11 Old 06-19-2019, 08:14 AM

I am having the same problem with my XUV 550 Gator. My dealer replaced the clutch under warranty and it will work for a while and then the same thing. Will shift in reverse when cold and then after warms up, it idles fast and you can't shift at all until I cut key off and then it will shift. They tell me at dealer that I'm not driving it hard enough. I tried that and still same thing. I am a 78 year old widow and cannot take a clutch out and send it to the clutch Dr. If my dealer would do what your dealer did, I would be so happy. John Deere called my dealer and they said they would call me and see what they could do and so far they have not called. I am so frustrated.
post #11 of 11 Old 06-22-2019, 09:18 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaure2019 View Post
I am having the same problem with my XUV 550 Gator. My dealer replaced the clutch under warranty and it will work for a while and then the same thing. Will shift in reverse when cold and then after warms up, it idles fast and you can't shift at all until I cut key off and then it will shift. They tell me at dealer that I'm not driving it hard enough. I tried that and still same thing. I am a 78 year old widow and cannot take a clutch out and send it to the clutch Dr. If my dealer would do what your dealer did, I would be so happy. John Deere called my dealer and they said they would call me and see what they could do and so far they have not called. I am so frustrated.

Hello chaure,

I wanted to reach out to you again.

What the dealer is saying is absurd.

We would be happy to work with your dealer on the repair of your primary clutch on your 550.

If they could remove the clutch for you and send the clutch to us, we will hand tune the clutch with existing clutch components and send the clutch back for reinstallation.

Our work is warrantied for as long as you own the Gator.

You will be amazed on our service, the dealership will only hear praise from you on the work completed by JD Clutch Doc.

For more information please email us at [email protected]

Brad and Doc
JD Clutch Doc

Lower Navigation
Go Back   John Deere Gator Forums > John Deere Gator General Discussion > Gator General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the John Deere Gator Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode