6x4 Newbie Questions - John Deere Gator Forums
Gator General Discussion If you need to talk about the John Deere Gator XUV/SXS/UTV and it does not fit into a more specific section down below, post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 04-04-2019, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

6x4 Newbie Questions

Looking for some general guidance on buying a used 6x4. What to look for in terms of must have things, what to watch for when buying. Years to avoid, etc.

I have a house on a lake in the Poconos. Need a UTV to move things around, wood and rocks, put jet-skis/trailer in and out of the water, plow snow in winter.

A lot of my neighbors have side by sides such as a Ranger but I'm looking for something different and have always loved the look of the 6x4.

Price range would be up to $10,000. Vehicle will be garaged but used in winter.

Thoughts on diesel v gas? Do the diesels run forever? Are they really sluggish? Does it matter for the basic things I will be using it for?

Can windshields and glass cab be added to all models/years? Same question for a plow?

I appreciate any advice you can offer.

Thanks

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-04-2019, 03:14 PM

Garage
Check tractorhouse.com for comparable units with the options you are looking for.

By nature dieselís can be somewhat sluggish, however the 6x4 arenít known to be overly peppy.

Perhaps 6x4 owners can chime in on specific things to look out for?

2012 Gator 825i (new engine at 1700 hours) Power Steering-Sport Exhaust- Deluxe Cab-Heater- Work Lights On Top Front And Rear- Hella HID Driving Lights-Warn ProVantage 4500 synthetic winch-Electric Dump- Gillmore Seat Covers
post #3 of 4 Old 04-04-2019, 07:28 PM

Even though I buy, refurbish and sell the pre-2000 6x4's, I hesitate to recommend one if your budget is in the $10k range. The older 6x4's are excellent machines as long as you can deal with the cooling issues that they're known for. And they're hard to find in decent shape. At $10k, you should be able to find a good selection of newer air-cooled TH 6x4's. That said, I'm still a big fan of 6x4's, new or old. A really good condition older 6x4 shouldn't cost you more that $5k, diesel a bit more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 04-05-2019, 09:28 AM

Garage
I second buying a much older unit, one that is simple to maintain and operate. MUCH less crap to break.

if you insist on plowing then you may need to stay with 6x4 configuration. It sounds like the job you want to do is perfect for a gator... but if you are going to clear snow and it might be smarter money to buy a legit garden tractor like a BX2200, infinitely more capable than gator, and if your budget is $10,000 its well within reach. If you buy an older 2000's era gator you will be way under budget. I second the gas air cooled ones, you cant kill them really, but arent cheap to fix up either if you want it just right. One day I hope to change out my 4x2 for something like a BX2200....

2000 Gator 4x2

Lower Navigation
Go Back   John Deere Gator Forums > John Deere Gator General Discussion > Gator General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the John Deere Gator Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode