gator purchase - John Deere Gator Forums
Gator General Discussion If you need to talk about the John Deere Gator XUV/SXS/UTV and it does not fit into a more specific section down below, post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 04-05-2019, 06:39 AM Thread Starter

gator purchase

I've been looking for a used 4x4 Gator/Ranger (sorry) and have not found much. I just recently found a 4x2 gator that looks like the originals. I don't see a sticker so I don't know if it's called a CX or TX or what. The seller wants $4750 and I honestly don't know what something like this costs. It's not really what I want but it would work well over the summer months and probably even in the winter unless the snow is high. I'm replacing a golf cart, so anything will be an improvement. Any thoughts?

Anyone know when these went fuel injected or are they still carb engines? I've asked the guy about year, hours, miles as right now it's just pictures and says RUNS GREAT.

thanks, moday
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-05-2019, 08:58 AM

Garage
Please check online at tractorhouse.com for Gators in your region.
From here you can compare pricing on units that meet your use criteria.

2012 Gator 825i (new engine at 1700 hours) Power Steering-Sport Exhaust- Deluxe Cab-Heater- Work Lights On Top Front And Rear- Hella HID Driving Lights-Warn ProVantage 4500 synthetic winch-Electric Dump- Gillmore Seat Covers
post #3 of 13 Old 04-05-2019, 09:16 AM

Garage
$4700 is very STRONG money for an old 4x2. For that amount of cash it should be showroom, restored condition. New body panels, rust free, engine 100%, electric dump, all boots in excellent condition, and all up to date on maintenance. I think to get a nice one you should be around $3500-$4000 and one that needs some TLC prob $2500-$3200. For around $5000 thats getting up into 6x4 diesel territory...

I love the 4x2, because of high easily it can be maneuvered in thick woods, and the older ones are great because of how simple they are. If you search the forum, there are a few posts around here about what to inspect when buying an old gator.

2000 Gator 4x2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 04-05-2019, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

I was told that this was a 94/95 year vehicle. I may look at it, but I'd like something newer.
post #5 of 13 Old 04-05-2019, 05:44 PM

Garage
there are newer ones available in the same 'old' simple style, you may want to hold out for one 5-7 years newer. Early 2000's maybe? unless the one your looking at is in exceptional shape, reconditioned. Most people seem to just beat the hell out of these things with little regard. It's hard to find ones that have been cared for, but they do pop up.

2000 Gator 4x2
post #6 of 13 Old 04-05-2019, 07:13 PM

I've refurbished and sold several vintage 4x2's and the most I've ever gotten was $3200. That machine was mechanically sound and cosmetically 9/10, tires 50%. New seats and all fenders sound, although repaired. IMHO, $4750 should be near showroom condition. In defense of that price, those older 4x2's are getting really hard to find.
post #7 of 13 Old 04-06-2019, 06:10 AM

Garage
gator purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moday View Post
I was told that this was a 94/95 year vehicle. I may look at it, but I'd like something newer.

If you should look at this Gator, take some photos if you can? This will help others give you honest feedback.

2012 Gator 825i (new engine at 1700 hours) Power Steering-Sport Exhaust- Deluxe Cab-Heater- Work Lights On Top Front And Rear- Hella HID Driving Lights-Warn ProVantage 4500 synthetic winch-Electric Dump- Gillmore Seat Covers

Last edited by Bradhill; 04-06-2019 at 06:14 AM.
post #8 of 13 Old 04-06-2019, 06:49 AM

You might also want to watch on
www.govdeals.com

Just put 'gator' in the search box on the top right corner to see current auctions.
(of course remember to check location and read the rules of the site).

I've got some good deals from there. It's really dangerous to start looking at everything else that is for sale

Note you can search completed sales as well.
post #9 of 13 Old 04-07-2019, 07:08 AM

This chart exists out there for John Deere Gator Serial Numbers and Years of Manufacturer

https://www.scribd.com/document/3307...r-lookup-table
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	111GatorSerNum.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	947.9 KB
ID:	11305  
post #10 of 13 Old 04-07-2019, 09:28 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
This chart exists out there for John Deere Gator Serial Numbers and Years of Manufacturer

https://www.scribd.com/document/3307...r-lookup-table

Thanks JohnN !

post #11 of 13 Old 04-14-2019, 09:55 AM

Today I found a link to the John Deere Technical Manual for the eGator.

Thought I would share

http://golftechs.us/Manuals/JDegator.pdf

Parts manual is here

https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/...quipment/67826

Lithium battery from a Nissan Leaf arrives this week so battery conversion project will be beginning soon.
post #12 of 13 Old 04-14-2019, 10:02 AM

Garage
gator purchase

Quote:
Today I found a link to the John Deere Technical Manual for the eGator.

Thought I would share

http://golftechs.us/Manuals/JDegator.pdf

Parts manual is here

https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/...quipment/67826

Lithium battery from a Nissan Leaf arrives this week so battery conversion project will be beginning soon.

Great Find @JohnN could you post this under a new thread? Doing so would make it easier for others to find. Perhaps a thread title of “e Gator Technical Manual” or similar?

post #13 of 13 Old 04-14-2019, 10:13 AM

Garage
[quote=Bradhill;91449]
Quote:

Great Find @JohnN could you post this under a new thread? Doing so would make it easier for others to find. Perhaps a thread title of “e Gator Technical Manual” or similar?
brad should be a moderator so things like these could be stickied

those manuals are out there for the other ones as well, from JD website, but dont go into detail like the technical manuals you have to buy separately. excellent resource though

2000 Gator 4x2

Lower Navigation
Go Back   John Deere Gator Forums > John Deere Gator General Discussion > Gator General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the John Deere Gator Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode