John Deere Gator Forums

John Deere Gator Forums (https://www.gatorforums.net/forum/)
-   Gator General Discussion (https://www.gatorforums.net/forum/gator-general-discussion/)
-   -   2013 Gator 825i park brake assembly and wheel paint question (https://www.gatorforums.net/forum/gator-general-discussion/14965-2013-gator-825i-park-brake-assembly-wheel-paint-question.html)

wcodyd 04-14-2019 09:36 PM

2013 Gator 825i park brake assembly and wheel paint question

Friends,

Iíve purchased my first Gatoró 2013 825i. Upgrading from a Kubota RTV500, the Gator is a beast!

Itís only problem is the parking brake. It doesnít work at all. Cable is good. Fluid level looks good. Seller said he thought it was something in the transmission. From my reading, it looks like I may need a new parking brake assembly. Part number Iím seeing is AM148453. Part cost is fairly high ($400) so Iím hesitant to buy without some insights from others. Anyone tried to replace this before? It is a DIY project?

Second question. My 2013 825i has the silver wheels. Anyone tried spray painting these black? My Gator is the olive color and the black wheels seems to look better on these. Iím thinking about removing the wheels from the gator, taping off the tires, center wheel cover, and lug nuts, and painting the wheels using a flat or glossy black from rusteoleum. Anyone tried this before?

As always, thanks...

jd772 04-17-2019 05:51 AM

Check if over 6 clicks on brake lever the brake disc are worn or burnt. When you set the brake it also locks the differential lock ,so both cables should have tension on when set ,to not only set brake disc but also set the differential lock to lock. guick way is raise machine and set brake and check if lever on transmission is applying.

Bradhill 04-17-2019 08:43 AM

@jd772 as always, thank you for your technical advise!

magnumpi 04-17-2019 09:12 AM

Second question. My 2013 825i has the silver wheels. Anyone tried spray painting these black? My Gator is the olive color and the black wheels seems to look better on these. Iím thinking about removing the wheels from the gator, taping off the tires, center wheel cover, and lug nuts, and painting the wheels using a flat or glossy black from rusteoleum.

My first though is I think it's a mistake. Invariably, the paint/powder coat whatever will chip and look like hell. I'd be patient and follow CraigsList for the black equivalent of what you have as Deere offered them in black as well as silver alloy. Tractorhouse is another good source. Remember the size - 14" !! Good luck. Craig

Bradhill 04-17-2019 12:56 PM

2013 Gator 825i park brake assembly and wheel paint question

I too have considered painting my silver wheels, however Iím concerned with long term results.

I fear the paint will chip and flake off, in the not so distant future. Thus creating a total mess.

I checked with a local powder coating shop who offers a couple different types of coating, one of which was described as a ďindustrial coatingĒ that would offer better long term results.

Also a important piece of their process is dipping/soaking the wheel in a solution that would allow better coating adhesion to the surface,as these wheels have a clear coating of sorts to protect the surface of the wheel.

This is why I believe any attempt to paint the wheel, without applying this solution would be futile at best.

The cost quoted to me for the ďindustrial coatingĒ to 4 wheels was around $300.00

Iím in total decision paralysis on this one....

jd772 04-17-2019 08:33 PM

Thank you

wcodyd 04-19-2019 09:29 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's a before and after I painted my wheels... I love the result. Not sure this was the best approach, but I cleaned and very lightly sanded the wheels and then sprayed with glossy rustoleum pro spray paint. I'd do it again.

Bradhill 04-19-2019 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wcodyd (Post 91621)
Here's a before and after I painted my wheels... I love the result. Not sure this was the best approach, but I cleaned and very lightly sanded the wheels and then sprayed with glossy rustoleum pro spray paint. I'd do it again.

Nice, please keep us updated!

hillbillybubba 05-29-2019 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wcodyd (Post 91621)

Looks much better!