2013 Gator 825i park brake assembly and wheel paint question - John Deere Gator Forums
Gator General Discussion If you need to talk about the John Deere Gator XUV/SXS/UTV and it does not fit into a more specific section down below, post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 04-14-2019, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

2013 Gator 825i park brake assembly and wheel paint question

Friends,

Iíve purchased my first Gatoró 2013 825i. Upgrading from a Kubota RTV500, the Gator is a beast!

Itís only problem is the parking brake. It doesnít work at all. Cable is good. Fluid level looks good. Seller said he thought it was something in the transmission. From my reading, it looks like I may need a new parking brake assembly. Part number Iím seeing is AM148453. Part cost is fairly high ($400) so Iím hesitant to buy without some insights from others. Anyone tried to replace this before? It is a DIY project?

Second question. My 2013 825i has the silver wheels. Anyone tried spray painting these black? My Gator is the olive color and the black wheels seems to look better on these. Iím thinking about removing the wheels from the gator, taping off the tires, center wheel cover, and lug nuts, and painting the wheels using a flat or glossy black from rusteoleum. Anyone tried this before?

As always, thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-17-2019, 05:51 AM

Check if over 6 clicks on brake lever the brake disc are worn or burnt. When you set the brake it also locks the differential lock ,so both cables should have tension on when set ,to not only set brake disc but also set the differential lock to lock. guick way is raise machine and set brake and check if lever on transmission is applying.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-17-2019, 08:43 AM

Garage
@jd772 as always, thank you for your technical advise!

2012 Gator 825i (new engine at 1700 hours) Power Steering-Sport Exhaust- Deluxe Cab-Heater- Work Lights On Top Front And Rear- Hella HID Driving Lights-Warn ProVantage 4500 synthetic winch-Electric Dump- Gillmore Seat Covers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-17-2019, 09:12 AM

Second question. My 2013 825i has the silver wheels. Anyone tried spray painting these black? My Gator is the olive color and the black wheels seems to look better on these. Iím thinking about removing the wheels from the gator, taping off the tires, center wheel cover, and lug nuts, and painting the wheels using a flat or glossy black from rusteoleum.

My first though is I think it's a mistake. Invariably, the paint/powder coat whatever will chip and look like hell. I'd be patient and follow CraigsList for the black equivalent of what you have as Deere offered them in black as well as silver alloy. Tractorhouse is another good source. Remember the size - 14" !! Good luck. Craig
post #5 of 8 Old 04-17-2019, 12:56 PM

Garage
2013 Gator 825i park brake assembly and wheel paint question

I too have considered painting my silver wheels, however Iím concerned with long term results.

I fear the paint will chip and flake off, in the not so distant future. Thus creating a total mess.

I checked with a local powder coating shop who offers a couple different types of coating, one of which was described as a ďindustrial coatingĒ that would offer better long term results.

Also a important piece of their process is dipping/soaking the wheel in a solution that would allow better coating adhesion to the surface,as these wheels have a clear coating of sorts to protect the surface of the wheel.

This is why I believe any attempt to paint the wheel, without applying this solution would be futile at best.

The cost quoted to me for the ďindustrial coatingĒ to 4 wheels was around $300.00

Iím in total decision paralysis on this one....

2012 Gator 825i (new engine at 1700 hours) Power Steering-Sport Exhaust- Deluxe Cab-Heater- Work Lights On Top Front And Rear- Hella HID Driving Lights-Warn ProVantage 4500 synthetic winch-Electric Dump- Gillmore Seat Covers

Last edited by Bradhill; 04-17-2019 at 10:03 PM.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-17-2019, 08:33 PM

Thank you
post #7 of 8 Old 04-19-2019, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Here's a before and after I painted my wheels... I love the result. Not sure this was the best approach, but I cleaned and very lightly sanded the wheels and then sprayed with glossy rustoleum pro spray paint. I'd do it again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1575.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	562.9 KB
ID:	11353   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1632.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	2.93 MB
ID:	11355  
post #8 of 8 Old 04-19-2019, 10:00 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcodyd View Post
Here's a before and after I painted my wheels... I love the result. Not sure this was the best approach, but I cleaned and very lightly sanded the wheels and then sprayed with glossy rustoleum pro spray paint. I'd do it again.

Nice, please keep us updated!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   John Deere Gator Forums > John Deere Gator General Discussion > Gator General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the John Deere Gator Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode