2011 855D 4wd issues - John Deere Gator Forums
Gator General Discussion If you need to talk about the John Deere Gator XUV/SXS/UTV and it does not fit into a more specific section down below, post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 04-15-2019, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
2011 855D 4wd issues

Hi,
I just got my Gator running. I rebuilt the motor...runs great! Thanks for the advice on specs, etc.

We tested the 4wd by going up a rock mound in 2wd to make sure it would not climb it. Then we put in neutral, put in 4wd and put in H range...it climbed it!! So it worked.

However, a couple of days later I was taking a friend around the property and hit some mud. I pressed the 4wd while in gear...and it worked!!

All good except I took it out of 4wd and then later we went up a grass hill that was wet. I pushed the 4wd and it started grinding and catching like it was trying to go in and catching and then slipping out. Making a terrible noise. Now even on level ground and putting in neutral first it does the same thing. What have I messed up?

Thganks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-16-2019, 06:48 AM

It would be pure speculation to guess what is wrong and you will need to investigate further. Strongly suggest you procure a repair manual if you plan on doing the work yourself. There is a lot of good information and pictures to make the job significantly easier and less expensive in the long run.

Suggest you do a search as others have had engagement issues in the past.

I've included a few pictures on how the 4x4 system works, but did not include the ones for the most recent serial numbers. Hopefully they will provide some value to you.

Please document your findings and resolution, so others can learn.

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4x4 early SN.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	11343   Click image for larger version

Name:	4x4 mid SN.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	181.2 KB
ID:	11345  

2012 JD855D OPS Black Poly Roof, Deluxe Cargo Box, Front and Rear Protection, Power Lift, Front Hood Rack, Rear Screen (homemade), 800 Watt Inverter, 2500lb Winch installed in cargo bed, Front and Rear LED auxiliary lighting (4" square 27 watt), Front and Rear CV Guards, Koplin Side Mirrors
post #3 of 12 Old 04-16-2019, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Garage
will do and thanks.

Your response answered my main question about engaging the 4WD. As I thought it should be the 4WD can be engaged while in gear and moving. Here is what my initial thoughts are. It was working fine one engagement and 5 minutes later did not, meaning it stopped engaging completely and slipping and catching back like it was going in but slipping out. I think something broke or is impeding the gear from engaging completely. The person testing the 4WD drove it over a pea gravel mound and as a result (I saw this last night while underneath it) there is a LOT of gravel in the skid pan under the motor. Not a big thing but maybe some gravel got lodged in the front. Will jack it up and look into sometime this week as I have time. This working for a living gets in the way sometimes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 04-16-2019, 02:48 PM

Keep in mind engagement is electronic via a solenoid and I believe all moving parts are protected from the elements. (Internal to the trans-axle case). Poor electrical ground or limited voltage from corroded or loose fitting terminals will limited the magnetic power the solenoid coil generates to move the engagement linkage.

Hope it is something simple.

I'm anxious to hear what you find.

2012 JD855D OPS Black Poly Roof, Deluxe Cargo Box, Front and Rear Protection, Power Lift, Front Hood Rack, Rear Screen (homemade), 800 Watt Inverter, 2500lb Winch installed in cargo bed, Front and Rear LED auxiliary lighting (4" square 27 watt), Front and Rear CV Guards, Koplin Side Mirrors
post #5 of 12 Old 04-16-2019, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Good news. I took your advice and perused other postings and tried the one where they talked about wedging on a 625. Crank the machine, place in neutral and cycle the drive selector switch a few times, then leave in 4wd, put machine in reverse and back it up several feet. Worked like a charm! I drove it around putting it in 4WD and 2WD with no issues. Again I can’t thank you guys enough. The next issue is I have to trace the wiring and install a switch for the dump bed.
post #6 of 12 Old 04-16-2019, 08:50 PM

Garage
You stumbled on a well know behavior of the front drive. When the solenoid clicks in, some forks engage up front. Normally, they retract when you switch back. However, they'll stick if you are coasting (letting the engine brake) downhill. You'll see one or both wheels lock every 1/4 roll, stuff grinds, etc. Put the Gator in reverse and back up 10-15 feet to allow the spring loaded forks to retract. Moral of the story: Gators always go into 4WD and go back to 2WD when certain conditions exist.
post #7 of 12 Old 04-17-2019, 09:45 AM

Garage
2011 855D 4wd issues

You should consider draining the front differential in to a clean oil pan, carefully inspect the oil in the pan for debris such as metal or plastic.

When I serviced the front differential in my 2012 825i I found pieces of white plastic, this was an indication the roller cage was failing.

Although I did not have any known issues with my front differential at that time, failure was inevitable.

The roller cages have been known to crack, which causes misalignment of the roller bearings when engaging the 4WD system.

The noise that you heard/felt could be an indicator of a faulty roller cage.

I posted additional information in a separate thread, please note the Theory of Operation screenshot.

2013 825i HELP 4wd stuck on.
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...9&share_type=t

2012 Gator 825i (new engine at 1700 hours) Power Steering-Sport Exhaust- Deluxe Cab-Heater- Work Lights On Top Front And Rear- Hella HID Driving Lights-Warn ProVantage 4500 synthetic winch-Electric Dump- Gillmore Seat Covers

Last edited by Bradhill; 04-17-2019 at 09:48 AM.
post #8 of 12 Old 04-17-2019, 09:59 AM

Garage
2011 855D 4wd issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmwmbacpa View Post
....We tested the 4wd by going up a rock mound in 2wd to make sure it would not climb it. Then we put in neutral, put in 4wd and put in H range...it climbed it!! So it worked...........
What have I messed up?

When operating the Gator in conditions that you have described, always use low range.

2012 Gator 825i (new engine at 1700 hours) Power Steering-Sport Exhaust- Deluxe Cab-Heater- Work Lights On Top Front And Rear- Hella HID Driving Lights-Warn ProVantage 4500 synthetic winch-Electric Dump- Gillmore Seat Covers

Last edited by Bradhill; 04-17-2019 at 12:39 PM.
post #9 of 12 Old 04-18-2019, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradhill View Post
Quote:
....We tested the 4wd by going up a rock mound in 2wd to make sure it would not climb it. Then we put in neutral, put in 4wd and put in H range...it climbed it!! So it worked...........
What have I messed up?

When operating the Gator in conditions that you have described, always use low range.
Thanks Will do. Just one more thing a novice user does not know.
post #10 of 12 Old 04-18-2019, 10:29 AM

Garage
2011 855D 4wd issues

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What have I messed up?

You’re welcome using low gear when climbing,starting out on a incline, driving through ruts, ditches and rough terrain will greatly improve the performance of the clutch’s and belt longevity.

If you don’t have a copy of a Operators Manual for your 855d below is a link.

Enjoy your Gator!!

http://manuals.deere.com/cceomview/O...dex.html?tM=HO

On Edit:

Here is a link to a OEM Technical Manual. As @200mph mentioned these manuals are extremely helpful for anyone who owns a Gator.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F113003092963

Last edited by Bradhill; 04-18-2019 at 10:36 AM.
post #11 of 12 Old 04-18-2019, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You’re welcome using low gear when climbing,starting out on a incline, driving through ruts, ditches and rough terrain will greatly improve the performance of the clutch’s and belt longevity.

If you don’t have a copy of a Operators Manual for your 855d below is a link.

Enjoy your Gator!!

OMM158412_F0

On Edit:

Here is a link to a OEM Technical Manual. As @200mph mentioned these manuals are extremely helpful for anyone who owns a Gator.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F113003092963
Done and done...you guys are awesome. I am going to take a few pics and post them. I did not realize how much I would love my Gator!!
post #12 of 12 Old 04-18-2019, 01:00 PM

Garage
Fantastic we all enjoy photos!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   John Deere Gator Forums > John Deere Gator General Discussion > Gator General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the John Deere Gator Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode