Radiator 2011 855D - John Deere Gator Forums
Gator General Discussion If you need to talk about the John Deere Gator XUV/SXS/UTV and it does not fit into a more specific section down below, post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 05-08-2019, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Radiator 2011 855D

Son walks up and said the Gator overheated. Sigh

After it cooled down I took off radiator cap and it was dry. Poured in antifreeze and it runs out at bottom as fast as I pour it in. I am hopeful it is a busted hose at clamp. We will see. I will keep you posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-08-2019, 04:18 PM

I hope it is a hose for your sake...

New radiator is approximately $460.

Good luck!

2012 JD855D OPS Black Poly Roof, Deluxe Cargo Box, Front and Rear Protection, Power Lift, Front Hood Rack, Rear Screen (homemade), 800 Watt Inverter, 2500lb Winch installed in cargo bed, Front and Rear LED auxiliary lighting (4" square 27 watt), Front and Rear CV Guards, Koplin Side Mirrors
post #3 of 17 Old 05-08-2019, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 200mph View Post

Good luck!
Good news.....I found the problem. And that is the end of the good news.

The metal pipe that runs from the radiator to the motor has rusted and has a hole in it and will have to be replaced. So no easy fix of course. Looks to me like it is going to be a job to replace that. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 05-09-2019, 08:40 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmwmbacpa View Post
Quote:

Good luck!

The metal pipe that runs from the radiator to the motor has rusted and has a hole in it and will have to be replaced. So no easy fix of course. Looks to me like it is going to be a job to replace that. Any suggestions?

Do you have a local radiator repair shop? Often these shops can repair radiators for far less than new.

2012 Gator 825i (new engine at 1700 hours) Power Steering-Sport Exhaust- Deluxe Cab-Heater- Work Lights On Top Front And Rear- Hella HID Driving Lights-Warn ProVantage 4500 synthetic winch-Electric Dump- Gillmore Seat Covers
post #5 of 17 Old 05-09-2019, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradhill View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Good luck!

Do you have a local radiator repair shop? Often these shops can repair radiators for far less than new.
I found the diagram and part number. There are two lines and I might as well replace them both. JDM162821 for $113.40 each.

I have not crawled under it yet but I am guessing I will have to remove the skid plates. After that it looks like four clamps (two clamps times 2 pipes) and a holder bracket. It can't be that simple. What am I missing?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	855 D Radiator Diagram.png
Views:	20
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	11413  
post #6 of 17 Old 05-09-2019, 09:05 AM

Garage
Ahh I misunderstood your description of where you found the holes.

Do you have a OEM technical manual? This manual may provide instructions for R&R of the metal tubes?

2012 Gator 825i (new engine at 1700 hours) Power Steering-Sport Exhaust- Deluxe Cab-Heater- Work Lights On Top Front And Rear- Hella HID Driving Lights-Warn ProVantage 4500 synthetic winch-Electric Dump- Gillmore Seat Covers
post #7 of 17 Old 05-09-2019, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradhill View Post
Ahh I misunderstood your description of where you found the holes.

Do you have a OEM technical manual? This manual may provide instructions for R&R of the metal tubes?
I ordered the tubes (decided to replace both while I am at it). $98 each

John Deere dealer quoted it a 5 hour job at $362..plus parts. A friend has a shop and he is going to do it for me. Unsure of the price but can't be more than the dealership.
post #8 of 17 Old 05-10-2019, 02:29 PM

Did it rust from the outside in or inside out?

2012 JD855D OPS Black Poly Roof, Deluxe Cargo Box, Front and Rear Protection, Power Lift, Front Hood Rack, Rear Screen (homemade), 800 Watt Inverter, 2500lb Winch installed in cargo bed, Front and Rear LED auxiliary lighting (4" square 27 watt), Front and Rear CV Guards, Koplin Side Mirrors
post #9 of 17 Old 05-10-2019, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Did it rust from the outside in or inside out?
Outside in. A salty environment
post #10 of 17 Old 05-17-2019, 02:00 PM

Many years ago I was servicing my Kubota, including changing out the anti-freeze. I wasn't going to dump the old stuff anywhere on the ranch and had a 5 gallon bucket with a few gallons in it, covered in a corner in the shop while I figured out what to do with it.

Month or more later I put the GShep in the shop over night during a blizzard/sub-zero storm. Yup, she got into it. The next morning there was piss and shit everywhere and a valued family member that I had to put down - ya can't reverse the damage for any amount of money.

So, even for a slightly leaky hose, anti-freeze is really dangerous stuff. Even if its a little wetness on the ground its killer dangerous and sweet to the senses.

I had to pass this along 'cause I'll never forget the experience. Plz be careful with anti-freeze.
post #11 of 17 Old 05-30-2019, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrhill View Post
Many years ago I was servicing my Kubota, including changing out the anti-freeze. I wasn't going to dump the old stuff anywhere on the ranch and had a 5 gallon bucket with a few gallons in it, covered in a corner in the shop while I figured out what to do with it.

Month or more later I put the GShep in the shop over night during a blizzard/sub-zero storm. Yup, she got into it. The next morning there was piss and shit everywhere and a valued family member that I had to put down - ya can't reverse the damage for any amount of money.

So, even for a slightly leaky hose, anti-freeze is really dangerous stuff. Even if its a little wetness on the ground its killer dangerous and sweet to the senses.

I had to pass this along 'cause I'll never forget the experience. Plz be careful with anti-freeze.
So I am back on trying to replace the two tubes. Took to a garage on adjacent property. He said it looks like it replaces from the top. My research leads me to believe they replace from the bottom. Neither way looks promising. Another option is to take off front cap and remove the radiator. Any body have any knowledge on this R&R of those tubes?
post #12 of 17 Old 05-30-2019, 10:07 AM

Garage
Radiator 2011 855D

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrhill View Post

So I am back on trying to replace the two tubes. Took to a garage on adjacent property. He said it looks like it replaces from the top. My research leads me to believe they replace from the bottom. Neither way looks promising. Another option is to take off front cap and remove the radiator. Any body have any knowledge on this R&R of those tubes?

Canít help with the R&R procedures, however this OEM Technical Manual should give you the procedures.

These manuals are extremely valuable to any Gator Owner.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F113003092963

post #13 of 17 Old 05-30-2019, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Yep. I bought that per your earlier post. Good info but no help on this issue
post #14 of 17 Old 05-30-2019, 10:13 AM

Garage
Quote:
Yep. I bought that per your earlier post. Good info but no help on this issue

Dang !

post #15 of 17 Old 05-31-2019, 07:55 AM

Seems like you might be one of the first forum members to tackle this project. Please document with notes and photos when completed. I'm certain others will appreciate your effort as these gators age.

Perhaps call the dealer where parts were purchased.They might be willing to give advice or be able to contact mother Deere for support.

While definitely not ideal, maybe the tubes can be cut at a strategic location and spliced using heater hose to reduce the R&R effort.

Good luck and keep us posted how it goes.

Thought... Given your salty environment, would it be worth adding a few extra coats of pain to the tubes prior to installation?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   John Deere Gator Forums > John Deere Gator General Discussion > Gator General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the John Deere Gator Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode