John Deere Gator Forums banner

6x4 diesel no crank

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  gatorvirgin 
#1 ·
My older (2000-2002 I think) 6x4 diesel gator won't crank. I had an oil leak (oil pressure sender) and used a pressure washer and gunk to clean and help find the source of the leak. The Gator started and ran fine for a few days. First sign of problems was dash lights flickering and no crank. I could hear a buzzing sound but it was dark. I cleaned the plug that goes into the gearbox (neutral safety I'm guessing) and she started right up. Today the dash lights are fine but the relays are buzzing down by the fuel filter. Two relays are identical and have been replaced. Still no crank. The 3rd relay seems to be for the glow plugs but I'm not even cranking so I don't think that relay is the problem. I did have the battery out while I was pressure washing so perhaps bad connection at the battery?

#2 ·
Have you cleaned the ground?

#3 ·
not only check the ground but check battery voltage and all battery cable connections. The slightest drop in power from the battery or loose/corroded cables will leave a diesel engine dead due to lack of power to compress the fuel to start. The dash lights flickering could also be due to loose wiring of the oil pressure switch and if I remember, without checking the schematic, the temperature switch. Those switches must be closed to complete the circuit and start the engine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.