John Deere Gator Forums banner

2019 xuv 865m

7K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Mr. Whippy 
#1 ·
Just purchased my new Gator and am looking to put a winch on t. Price of this winch mount and Warn winch's high. Anyone had much luck with ther winches and how they worked as far as mounting and wring? They say this machine s prewired for a winch, but don't know about what plugs they have and how that will interchange.

#2 · (Edited)
The wiring that is included with the M package : there is a quick disconnect up front near the chasis mount. This runs to where the windshield washer unit is, just in front of the battery, under right passenger seat / storage box (there is a 200a fuse built into this cable). Above the front left strut, where you see the other wires, are 2 connectors for the contactor (green and black) . Behind the dash, near the glove box, you will find the corresponding green/black connector, and also yellow and black single connectors, which are for the remote connection (power / ground).

Now I don't know how the wiring that comes with the warn package that deere sells runs (not sure why they have the quick disconnect running to battery and have the contactor up front left, but I digress ), but I bought a viper elite winch and used the existing behind dash connectors to fit my needs.

1) I placed my contactor on the back side of the storage box (but outside of the box), so it was very close to the battery. This enabled me to simply hook up the existing 6 gauge cables from the aforementioned quick disconnect to the contactor. The screws heads that secure the contactor sit in a groove on the inside of the box, so they don't really eat any space (unless you have some dividers you planned on using in those grooves).

2) I ran wires from the aforementioned green/black connectors on top of left strut area down to contactor.

3) My winch came with a wireless controller, I mounted it on the lower right of the plastic that separates the radiator from the rest of the under the hood compartment, and ran its wires to contactor. (the wires from the manual switch piggy back onto the wires from the wireless @ the contactor ). I pulled power for the wireless controller from 2 connectors I knew I wouldn't use.. would have been more professional to run my own circuit :)

4) Hooked up the contactor to battery using winch supplied cables

5) I cut the winch supplied cables to run from contactor to winch, making a short length that would reach from winch to quick disconnect, then put a quick disconnect on it. The quick disconnect is a 50a one, but the ones I got didn't exactly fit the existing one, I had to dremel out a small area from the one I purchased. I put the other quick disconnect purchased on the Long part of the cables I cut. Why? Because it's long enough to reach the back hitch receiver from the contactor, should I ever decide to switch to a receiver mount for the winch.

6) I ran 4 wires from the supplied dash mount switch to connect to the aforementioned black/green connector and single yellow and black connectors inside the dash.

Hope that's not too confusing.

#3 ·
Loktite did a lot of work to get his hooked up, I have the 835M, dealer saved me a little money and installed a Koplin winch which has operated my snow plow fine. Have you received your 865m already? This winch option my be worth having the dealer installed as part of the deal.

I've found for me that installing accessories after purchase is a little harder since you have to splice into the electrical connectors unless you buy John Deere accessories. For example I installed a radio after receiving my Gator, bought the John Deere radio wiring harness, the connections matched up perfecting. Installed aftermarket lights, had to splice into the light connections in the roof wring harness.

As you get older sometimes it is not much fun crawling around getting things connected. But if you take your time and work at your own pace and not be in a hurry you will get it down.

Good luck on your install.

#4 ·
On my 835M, I think I had to have them add the quick connect high tension cables, although they weren't hooked up, since I bought my own winch. I put the contactor on the left upper fender bracket, as indicated in the JD winch installation manual (I got just the manual and installed a Warn VTX45 instead of the JD option and saved several hundred $$.

The dash switch and remote controller already had plugs wired into the harness, so it was basically plug and play. Not cutting or splicing needed. Also: The glove compartment has a knockout in the bottom of the box for the remote plug, so no drilling necessary.

It really helps to remove the windscreen, and the top of the dash panel to access the harness.

It took me a couple hours to install, but I worked slowly and made sure all harness wiring up front (near the winch) were tied down safely and had no potential rub areas.

If I were wiring another 835M, it would take me maybe an hour, being careful but knowing where it all goes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.