clutch issue 850d - John Deere Gator Forums
Gator General Discussion If you need to talk about the John Deere Gator XUV/SXS/UTV and it does not fit into a more specific section down below, post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 05-23-2019, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
ddf

clutch issue 850d

Tried this once, didn't seem to post so trying again.
My problems started when the from clutch broke and we replaced it. Now gator seems very slow/weak uphil, even a graduual incline it doesn't get up to speed, downhill it works fine.

So far (thinking engine first) checked injector pressure, air filter, fuel & filter, and throttle high stop.

Then changed belt. Got ahold of a similar gator manual (unsure model) to help troubleshoot and checked the aft clutch spring tension which was about 45 pounds. Book said for a green spring it was supposed to be around 12-18 pounds and a lower tension would increase speed so backed of the spring to lowest notch & that took it to about 20 pounds. Worked better but still bad on hills/incline. Reverse seemed much better. Hand moving it felt smooth, some wear noted on glides but not excessive. Spring on this unit is white and do not know what it's tension is supposed to be.

Operated with bed up and drove level/slight incline and front belt is all the way out on the front clutch and about mid way on the back clutch. Check parking brake & 4wd, brake is free and 4wd is disengaged.
Help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-23-2019, 11:50 AM

Garage
When in "lethargic mode" uphill, what is your RPM range? Looking at your front clutch, I suspect you're not in the torque range you need. In other words, your front clutch has the belt out too far which prevents the engine from running in the 3400-3600 RPM range which on my 855D and 865R is the sweet spot. If that is true, then you have a mismatched spring/weight configuration. The Clutch Doc on this forum would have much better insight than me.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-23-2019, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
ddf

Don't know the RPM's, no indicator, but it doesn't sound like it changes much if at all. As I understand the drive system the front clutch is RPM driven via flyweights and the rear is governed by back pressure/load transferred from the rear wheels which is balanced out by the torsion spring in that clutch.

Unsure how to get ahold of the clutch doc, new to this forum

Last edited by ddf; 05-23-2019 at 12:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 05-23-2019, 02:20 PM

Garage
Just search JD Clutch Doc on the forum and there're lots of posts. They have a FB page as well.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-23-2019, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
ddf

Not on facebook. Tool a while searching multiple ways and found a jdclutchdoc (no spaces) as a user name but as I said, new to this (or any) forum and can't seem to find out how to send new thread to just the user name. Will keep trying to find out. Would help if there was a
'how to use page" somewhere but unable to find that as well. Oh, well. Learning curve.....

Thanks for your help.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-24-2019, 08:59 AM

Contact bradhill. He’s the conduit to CD

2012 JD855D OPS Black Poly Roof, Deluxe Cargo Box, Front and Rear Protection, Power Lift, Front Hood Rack, Rear Screen (homemade), 800 Watt Inverter, 2500lb Winch installed in cargo bed, Front and Rear LED auxiliary lighting (4" square 27 watt), Front and Rear CV Guards, Koplin Side Mirrors
post #7 of 10 Old 05-24-2019, 02:20 PM

Garage
Send a private message to MBDiagMan and also BradHill.
post #8 of 10 Old 05-24-2019, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
ddf

sent a private message to jdclutchdoc but no response. Ill try MBdiegMan & BradHill
Thank you
post #9 of 10 Old 05-24-2019, 09:21 PM

A bad driven clutch, not letting the belt travel only half way
post #10 of 10 Old 05-25-2019, 09:14 AM

Garage
Contacted OP, thank you all!

2012 Gator 825i (new engine at 1700 hours) Power Steering-Sport Exhaust- Deluxe Cab-Heater- Work Lights On Top Front And Rear- Hella HID Driving Lights-Warn ProVantage 4500 synthetic winch-Electric Dump- Gillmore Seat Covers

Lower Navigation
Go Back   John Deere Gator Forums > John Deere Gator General Discussion > Gator General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the John Deere Gator Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode