xuv 550 not firing on front cylinder - John Deere Gator Forums
Gator General Discussion If you need to talk about the John Deere Gator XUV/SXS/UTV and it does not fit into a more specific section down below, post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 06-14-2019, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

xuv 550 not firing on front cylinder

Hi,
I've got a xuv 550 with a Briggs engine. It runs but has no power. I've got spark and fuel getting the both cylinders but the front cylinder did not appear to be firing, just a wet plug. I tested the compression and found no pressure in the cylinder. There's no oil leak or sign of a head gasket being blown. I've heard that on these air cooled engines the valves could start the stick due to deposits. I remove the valve cover and the valves seem to move freely. Any suggestions? This may be answering my own question, but I did notice what could be a crack, but could also be a mold line, in the block below the exhaust port, has anyone had this happen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190614_101316_1560544574756.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	2.40 MB
ID:	11487  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-14-2019, 04:32 PM

With no compression, I'd blow some air through the spark plug and ID where it is coming from. Don't need much air pressure. It could be the valves are not seating correctly or worse.

If you had a dial indicator, place on each valve and measure stroke. Compare two exhaust and two intakes to see if there is a difference.

Good luck and report back what you find.

2012 JD855D OPS Black Poly Roof, Deluxe Cargo Box, Front and Rear Protection, Power Lift, Front Hood Rack, Rear Screen (homemade), 800 Watt Inverter, 2500lb Winch installed in cargo bed, Front and Rear LED auxiliary lighting (4" square 27 watt), Front and Rear CV Guards, Koplin Side Mirrors
post #3 of 10 Old 06-15-2019, 07:33 AM

Garage
xuv 550 not firing on front cylinder

Perhaps this will help?

2012 Gator 825i (new engine at 1700 hours) Power Steering-Sport Exhaust- Deluxe Cab-Heater- Work Lights On Top Front And Rear- Hella HID Driving Lights-Warn ProVantage 4500 synthetic winch-Electric Dump- Gillmore Seat Covers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 06-16-2019, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Turns out after closer inspection, there are several hairline crack in the engine block itself. Even though they are hardly visible at first, I'm guessing that's the problem. I'm curious what could have caused this in the first place? The engine only has about 390 hours on it and has had all regular schedule maintenance.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-16-2019, 10:17 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pescaderoed#1 View Post
Turns out after closer inspection, there are several hairline crack in the engine block itself. Even though they are hardly visible at first, I'm guessing that's the problem. I'm curious what could have caused this in the first place? The engine only has about 390 hours on it and has had all regular schedule maintenance.

Dang... if you decide to re-power your Gator, contact @dane

Dane re-powered his 550 with a Honda engine, to my knowledge he has been very pleased with the outcome.

2012 Gator 825i (new engine at 1700 hours) Power Steering-Sport Exhaust- Deluxe Cab-Heater- Work Lights On Top Front And Rear- Hella HID Driving Lights-Warn ProVantage 4500 synthetic winch-Electric Dump- Gillmore Seat Covers
post #6 of 10 Old 06-17-2019, 02:48 PM

Are you certain they are cracks and not small inconsequential casting defects? Before discarding the engine, perhaps it is worth confirming using a dye penetrant crack detection kit (spray).

It would be hard to pass enough air through hairline cracks to register zero compression. Low pressure is plausible but not zero unless they are major cracks.

Curious... Does this block use cast iron sleeves?

Not trying to second guess your visual observation... Just hoping the engine isn't toast and it is something repairable for minimal dollars.

2012 JD855D OPS Black Poly Roof, Deluxe Cargo Box, Front and Rear Protection, Power Lift, Front Hood Rack, Rear Screen (homemade), 800 Watt Inverter, 2500lb Winch installed in cargo bed, Front and Rear LED auxiliary lighting (4" square 27 watt), Front and Rear CV Guards, Koplin Side Mirrors
post #7 of 10 Old 06-17-2019, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

Not sure if the engine is sleeved. As far as the cracks go, the first I questioned could be a die mark, but asked a coworker to look too and he spotted the others. One of which extends up to the head.
post #8 of 10 Old 06-19-2019, 05:18 AM

I would do a blow down test before tossing the engine just to make sure that you are correct about the cracks.

I had so much trouble with my Briggs engine that I replaced it at about 100 hours. If you want to see some pictures of what the engine looks like out of the Gator and cleaned here is a link when I sold the old engine. Maybe you can see the mold lines to help confirm if you have cracks.

If you are considering going to another engine here is a link to my conversion on the other forum. You will see that it was not a simple swap so carefully consider if you have the skills and tools for the job before beginning.

I love the Honda. The additional power has been great and it's been totally reliable. I hunt and use the Gator as a mobile lighting source when dressing game and the old Briggs engine would load up badly if left idling for long periods. I can completely process a deere and the Honda still purrs nicely while powering the lights.
post #9 of 10 Old 07-19-2019, 01:22 AM

Those lines dont look like cracks to me.
You should check the compression in the other cylinder for comparison's sake before you pull the engine. I may be wrong, but I think that engine has a compression release. If it does, I think that feature makes it tricky to do a compression check.
post #10 of 10 Old 07-20-2019, 02:16 PM

So what did the OP find after performing the recommended tests above (compression, leak down test or other) diagnostic steps to confirm root cause?

It would be nice if everyone learned to complete the threads.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   John Deere Gator Forums > John Deere Gator General Discussion > Gator General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the John Deere Gator Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode