Gator 865m - to buy or not? - John Deere Gator Forums
Gator General Discussion If you need to talk about the John Deere Gator XUV/SXS/UTV and it does not fit into a more specific section down below, post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 06-22-2019, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Gator 865m - to buy or not?

Much havier, same engine like 855d, cargo box not as large as the cab, what are your experiences?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-22-2019, 05:45 PM

Garage
You can take a look at my review "855D vs. 865R" and get my take on it. Everything aft of the cab is the same as the 855D with the exception of shrouding. There is less rated cargo capacity due to the extra weight for the cab, etc. I use mine every day and enjoy the better seats, quieter cab, better heater/AC, and a good radio. Note: the 865 will slow down even more on the hills when you cut in the A/C.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-23-2019, 06:18 AM Thread Starter

Gator 855d verus 865/835m

Thanks a lot!!! I hoped, not to read that, even I expected it. I had several Gators: HPX, 850, 3x855d, once 825i just for testing. The 855d without doors was running in my Region (1300m to 2200m) with load sometimes only 12km/h, very noisy and dusty. Big Horn tires after 200h at the end... I missed double wheels.
I really would appreciate the new cab. Somebody has experience with the 835m (speed, consumption, noise). At the 825i I didn't support the Chinese-noice and the consumption of this Gator was here in the mountains was very high.
Today i'm driving my Fendt 211, but I would like sometimes to have the small Gator beside. I don't think, there are other vehicles to compare?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-23-2019, 10:33 AM

Garage
Both Kubota and Polaris have diesel offerings. I looked at them again before my 865R purchase. Everyone keeps the diesel below 25HP to avoid having to add smog controls. The Kubota has much lower top end speed and the Polaris is about the same. I'll put a turbo on mine like I did the 855D. Overall, the JD had a better total package that I preferred even with the persistent design flaws and anti consumer practices.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-23-2019, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

And what about the 835m? I don‘t think we are here (in Switzerland) allowed to install a turbo.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-23-2019, 12:48 PM

The 835 is a good machine with plenty of power (54 hp). I, like Captseabee, went with an 865r. I like my Yanmar engine. It is definitely not a speed demon, but it is fast enough for me. I use it to run around a small 220 acre cattle ranch. Most of the time Im going less than 15 mph.
In the end, I decided that I would rather have a Japanese industrial Diesel engine as opposed to a Chinese automotive engine.
At your elevation, if turbocharging the diesel is not an option, I would probable go with the gas engine.
By the way, think about going with the R models, there are some nice enhancements over a M.

Gator 865r Fully Pimped Out
post #7 of 9 Old 06-23-2019, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks a lot!!! R-Gators are not available in Switzerland till now. The best will be a test drive with the 835 and maybe even with the 865. I appreciate your comments very much. I wanted to buy a JD 5125r, but Fendt is on a much higher level. Now for Gator similar vehicles I will go back to JD and i hope to find my prefered Gator. At the end I think, it will be the diesel. Slow, but always strong enough. Send me your e-mail and I will send you some pictures from my Gator-land.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-24-2019, 09:42 AM

Unless you have a bunch of other diesels, and running that fuel would be a convenience to you, I can not recommend the diesel version. It's just too slow and weak compared to the gas machines. The gas Gators have more torque and more speed.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-26-2019, 04:57 AM

hi I have the 865m and to be honest its the best very quiet great cab tried others like the new Polaris diesel etc but residual values on John Deere are very good and build quality is excellent

Lower Navigation
Go Back   John Deere Gator Forums > John Deere Gator General Discussion > Gator General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the John Deere Gator Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode