850D Steering Problems - John Deere Gator Forums
Gator General Discussion If you need to talk about the John Deere Gator XUV/SXS/UTV and it does not fit into a more specific section down below, post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 06-24-2019, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Angry 850D Steering Problems

My 850D steering wheel jerks violently at random times left and right. Seems to be random and also hard to steer. Anyone have this issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-25-2019, 07:14 AM

It might be helpful to know if it is equipped with Manual or Power steering.

2012 JD855D OPS Black Poly Roof, Deluxe Cargo Box, Front and Rear Protection, Power Lift, Front Hood Rack, Rear Screen (homemade), 800 Watt Inverter, 2500lb Winch installed in cargo bed, Front and Rear LED auxiliary lighting (4" square 27 watt), Front and Rear CV Guards, Koplin Side Mirrors
post #3 of 15 Old 06-25-2019, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

It does have power steering. Also when jacking the front end up, turning the key on, the power steering turns the wheel all the way left or right by its self.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 06-26-2019, 09:40 AM

Garage
I believe your Power Steering is a aftermarket product, is this correct?

Can you see the manufacture of the PS kit? Do you see any flashing diagnostic lights ?

You may have a EZ Steer Kit, is this correct?

https://www.superatv.com/amfile/file...roduct_id/444/

2012 Gator 825i (new engine at 1700 hours) Power Steering-Sport Exhaust- Deluxe Cab-Heater- Work Lights On Top Front And Rear- Hella HID Driving Lights-Warn ProVantage 4500 synthetic winch-Electric Dump- Gillmore Seat Covers
post #5 of 15 Old 06-26-2019, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Yes i believe its after market. I was not aware it even had power steering untill i tore into it thats how hard it steers sometimes. It looks alot like the ez steer unit. I will check brand later. There is a red warning light (after market) on the dash assume this goes with the ps unit. Its on and off intermittently.
post #6 of 15 Old 06-26-2019, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Cleaned all connections, grounds, etc
post #7 of 15 Old 06-26-2019, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradhill View Post

Can you see the manufacture of the PS kit? Do you see any flashing diagnostic lights ?

The only manufacturer is maval gear. Which assume is the gear and motor manufacturers. Unit is very similar to the ez steer.
post #8 of 15 Old 06-27-2019, 06:33 AM

I don't own PS or have the manual for such, but the following is typical with a lot of equipment...

The red light off and on might be a flash sequence for a numerical code. Typically short pause between flashes is for determining the number and long pauses between flashes are for separation between code numbers.

Flash SP Flash SP Flash LP Flash SP Flash would indicate error code 32. (SP = short Pause, LP = long Pause)

In any case, I suggest you procure the owners manual or consult the manufacturer for list of error codes and how to retrieve.

Good luck and please follow up with resolution so others can learn from your situation.

2012 JD855D OPS Black Poly Roof, Deluxe Cargo Box, Front and Rear Protection, Power Lift, Front Hood Rack, Rear Screen (homemade), 800 Watt Inverter, 2500lb Winch installed in cargo bed, Front and Rear LED auxiliary lighting (4" square 27 watt), Front and Rear CV Guards, Koplin Side Mirrors
post #9 of 15 Old 06-27-2019, 08:47 AM

Garage
850D Steering Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgey87 View Post
Quote:

The only manufacturer is maval gear. Which assume is the gear and motor manufacturers. Unit is very similar to the ez steer.

Can you see the ECU unit for the PS?

Did you reset the ECU by unplugging the connections briefly?

2012 Gator 825i (new engine at 1700 hours) Power Steering-Sport Exhaust- Deluxe Cab-Heater- Work Lights On Top Front And Rear- Hella HID Driving Lights-Warn ProVantage 4500 synthetic winch-Electric Dump- Gillmore Seat Covers

Last edited by Bradhill; 06-27-2019 at 08:53 AM.
post #10 of 15 Old 06-27-2019, 11:23 PM

I had the same problem on my, new to me, 825i once. It turns out I disengaged the 4WD while Gator was still in motion. Now I come to a complete stop before engaging and disengaging the 4WD and never had the problem since.
post #11 of 15 Old 06-28-2019, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrylag View Post
I had the same problem on my, new to me, 825i once. It turns out I disengaged the 4WD while Gator was still in motion. Now I come to a complete stop before engaging and disengaging the 4WD and never had the problem since.
Sorry I don't understand the connection...
What does the 4WD engagement have to do with a steering issue that the OP stated "It does have power steering. Also when jacking the front end up, turning the key on, the power steering turns the wheel all the way left or right by its self"?

Thanks in advance for your explanation.

post #12 of 15 Old 06-30-2019, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200mph View Post
I don't own PS or have the manual for such, but the following is typical with a lot of equipment...

The red light off and on might be a flash sequence for a numerical code. Typically short pause between flashes is for determining the number and long pauses between flashes are for separation between code numbers.

Flash SP Flash SP Flash LP Flash SP Flash would indicate error code 32. (SP = short Pause, LP = long Pause)

In any case, I suggest you procure the owners manual or consult the manufacturer for list of error codes and how to retrieve.

Good luck and please follow up with resolution so others can learn from your situation.
The light is either on or off it doesn't flash at all. Its off more than its on by a long shot. I dont believe it to be flashing any codes.

It
post #13 of 15 Old 06-30-2019, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgey87 View Post
Quote:

Can you see the ECU unit for the PS?

Did you reset the ECU by unplugging the connections briefly?

Yes everything has been unplugged cleaned, inspected, voltage checked etc.
post #14 of 15 Old Yesterday, 07:47 PM

I don't know why it acted like it did. It would radically steer back and forth left to right. Maybe the 4wd only was only part way disengaged.
post #15 of 15 Old Today, 12:18 AM

Garage
Re: disengaging the 4WD while still in motion. It's a known JD issue that is most prevalent when you disengage while decelerating downhill. The engagement splines typically don't fully pull away from one side and the wheel can grab and drag. Solution is to back up in reverse, engage 4WD, drive a few hundred feet and disengage when not under load. Happened to me once on my 855D and 865R. Also if you jar the front end hard doing it, you usually need a front end alignment (toe-in only). Had to do that on the 865R as well.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   John Deere Gator Forums > John Deere Gator General Discussion > Gator General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the John Deere Gator Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode