835R gator with cab issues - John Deere Gator Forums
Gator General Discussion If you need to talk about the John Deere Gator XUV/SXS/UTV and it does not fit into a more specific section down below, post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 07-08-2019, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

835R gator with cab issues

Hey guys first post.
I have 835R Cab unit. I took possession of it in November of 18.
Less then 100hrs.
It has been in the shop 5 times as of today.
So far the AC has been out twice.
Condenser first go around
Condenser belt second time
Windshield leak and door leak 3 rd time to the point if raining the cab would just fill up.
4th time rear axle broke
5th time altinator went out
6th time brakes failed and needs a new altinator belt

Every time my dealer has blamed it on too much mud. Except the door and windshield leak.
Now Iíve been using this dealer since 2006. Iím very good friends with all the mangers. I own multiple tractors, skidsteer, excavators and zero turns. This is my 4th gator.

They claim the cab unit just isnít made for mud.
Now Iím not mud riding this thing. I have 210 acres and a lot of the roads are wet but my Polaris EV makes it through all of them just fine.

Iím just having a hard time thinking mud is the culprit. Has any one else had issues with there 835r.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-08-2019, 09:14 PM

I have had my 835 M since Sept 2018. 300 hours on dial. On my property, I ride thru LOTS of mud. Thru the Mighty Wildcat creek Then out on the road generally throwing mud everywhere. On a daily basis. My machine is usually so muddy, my wife, Slick, refuses to ride it in. Bessie the basset hound doesnít mind, sheíll go muddy or not.
Never has presented any issue at all. Pressure washer it off, do the maintenance and lets go again. So you dealer is saying John Deere equipment canít get muddy . If you look at the sales brochures and pictures offered on their website, John Deere shows plenty of pictures with our unit deep into the mud hole.
My cab has had same problem with leaks. Both top front corners. Water and air. My dealer has attempted adjustment several times. The truth is, I donít think they know how. I wish someone on this forum would educate me on how to do that adjustment. I could play with it everyday till I get it right.
I am really sorry to hear about your problems with your new unit. You seem to have much more patience than I would have. Way too much money was spent to have such medicore results. I will be following closely...good luck. Joe

Last edited by KokomoJoe; 07-08-2019 at 09:20 PM.
post #3 of 16 Old 07-09-2019, 10:00 AM

Garage
I had similar issues with air leaking in the cab of my 2011 F350 KR. After several attempts by the dealership, I found a solution on a forum.

If the door and window seals have an open void in the center, I added some closed cell 1/4 ď foam cord. Problem solved!

Iím not sure if the 835 Gator has a similar type of door/window seal, but I would throw this out there.

Please report back on your findings!

2012 Gator 825i (new engine at 1700 hours) Power Steering-Sport Exhaust- Deluxe Cab-Heater- Work Lights On Top Front And Rear- Hella HID Driving Lights-Warn ProVantage 4500 synthetic winch-Electric Dump- Gillmore Seat Covers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 07-09-2019, 04:28 PM

I think I change my mind. Thought about this quite a bit today because what is affecting you, could happen to me as well... Here's my take

When I go thru the Mud, and I do, I go at a crawl. Literally. Because I do not want to get mud everywhere, which includes the engine compartment. It gets dirty, just not overwhelming. Clean it up once in awhile and you are good to go.

You have over 200 acres... I have 60. You have dirt roads and lanes that you routinely use that get muddy and sloppy when it rains, snows etc. If you have any speed at all, you are going to load your engine compartment with mud and dirt. No doubt about it. The entire machine itself is not greatly protected from gettin very muddy and dirty. On a dry dusty road the air cleaner loads up with an unbelievable amount of dust. I clean it out every time I go down a gravel road at anything over 10mph.

I will bet you travel at a fair but safe speed when you are on the muddy sloppy road. Like I said, any thing over 10mph will load the engine compartment with mud. Raise your bed and take a look after your next muddy trip. I think its going to be very full of mud.

With that in mind, I want to say that I am usually wrong and this is just an idea and my observations. Won't hurt my feelings a bit if I am wrong. Joe
post #5 of 16 Old 07-10-2019, 02:37 PM

Well, here I go again. Sorry about multiple replies.....
I have been riding my 835 M for a few hours today. Been thinking about this issue, because it bothers me.
My rant today is : does the xuv full cab get muddy? Yes, very. Does it get into the engine area under the bed ? Yep, a lot.
Should this effect performance of the machine ? Maybe a little would be understandable.
Should mud in the engine bay and on the engine and accessories cause component failure and operational issue ? ABSOLUTELY NO WAY. I have had other side by side units completely buried in mud. Engine almost fully encased. Winch it out, fire it up and keep going. But it did not have all of the belt driven components and accessories. And the belt driven components are what is failing on the OP Ďs machine. But that is not acceptable. For $30 k I expect my machine to be the most rugged, durable, highest quality piece of equipment that was ever put on this earth. But itís not.
It is a very nice machine to ride around in and I like it very much. I am learning it has some limitations. So far, I can live with those limitations.
There you have it. I shall cease the ranting for now.
Joe
post #6 of 16 Old 07-10-2019, 04:34 PM

Garage
Why didnít the dealership replace the belt when the alternator failed?

2012 Gator 825i (new engine at 1700 hours) Power Steering-Sport Exhaust- Deluxe Cab-Heater- Work Lights On Top Front And Rear- Hella HID Driving Lights-Warn ProVantage 4500 synthetic winch-Electric Dump- Gillmore Seat Covers
post #7 of 16 Old 07-12-2019, 08:48 PM

The dealer should take care of it , they have DTAC notes of door leaks ,and air condition issues. even belt issue. I hope warranty is taking care of it. all the problems they can summit .
post #8 of 16 Old 10-21-2019, 08:14 AM

I have an 835R that is almost a year old with well over 100 hrs. I use this machine every day on my old retired 300 acre hobby farm. I've owned several other side-by-side machines including Polaris Rangers, Honda Pioneers and Kubotas. I'm not a big fan of CVT systems, which the 835R has, but all in all this current Deere 835R XUV is my favorite by far and I won't hesitate trading it for another in a couple of years if it continues to be reliable and trouble free.

This leads me to the next point. I'm suspicious of the original poster's intentions since this post was made July 8, 2019 and it's the only post he ever made and he never returned to this forum according to forum history log. Usually folks return to see replys/responses. Not saying it isn't legit but I'm awfully suspicious.
post #9 of 16 Old 10-21-2019, 06:03 PM

I was thinking the same thing when he first posted this. I have about 150hrs on mine now and have had zero troubles. I had a 2018-19 ranger xp 1000 before this and I loved it but had a lot of stuff break on me. I think they have to much power for there design. Thatís kinda what drew me to the gator. Very nice cab and nowhere near the belt burning power.
post #10 of 16 Old 10-21-2019, 07:56 PM

835R gator with cab issues

Mine has over 150 hours 770 miles days from being a year old
Zero issues other than windshield washer hose broke think branch caught it so my fault
see a lot of steep slopes runs thru golden rod 5í tall
Guess I got a good one

These two guys keep trying to steal it

Last edited by js4fn1; 10-21-2019 at 08:01 PM.
post #11 of 16 Old 10-24-2019, 03:13 PM

Nah. OP's complaints are legitimate, at least as far as I can attest with my doors that leak. Yes, doors are closed tightly. Rain is steadily pouring in. Proof? Okie doke. Attached. It's an 835R, several months old. I absolutely love the machine; however, at $30K if the doors leak, John Deere and others will know about it as a remedy is sought and improvement is required. More proof, well okay. Video of water dripping ....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uh6f8j8eyy..._4455.MOV?dl=0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyside360 View Post
I have an 835R that is almost a year old with well over 100 hrs. I use this machine every day on my old retired 300 acre hobby farm. I've owned several other side-by-side machines including Polaris Rangers, Honda Pioneers and Kubotas. I'm not a big fan of CVT systems, which the 835R has, but all in all this current Deere 835R XUV is my favorite by far and I won't hesitate trading it for another in a couple of years if it continues to be reliable and trouble free.

This leads me to the next point. I'm suspicious of the original poster's intentions since this post was made July 8, 2019 and it's the only post he ever made and he never returned to this forum according to forum history log. Usually folks return to see replys/responses. Not saying it isn't legit but I'm awfully suspicious.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	59347454037__67D4C6B8-1CED-42AD-863B-CEFDB8F84978.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	12183   Click image for larger version

Name:	59347453086__A3492A46-4FC6-442E-A8FE-EE7D4D674B6D.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	12185  
post #12 of 16 Old 10-24-2019, 03:47 PM

I'm wondering if JD does an end of line "Rain Test" like most cars/trucks are exposed to.

As the prices of the machines continue to rise nearing to what a striped down suv/truck cost, it will be interesting to see if peoples quality expectations increase.

2012 JD855D OPS Black Poly Roof, Deluxe Cargo Box, Front and Rear Protection, Power Lift, Front Hood Rack, Rear Screen (homemade), 800 Watt Inverter, 2500lb Winch installed in cargo bed, Front and Rear LED auxiliary lighting (4" square 27 watt), Front and Rear CV Guards, Koplin Side Mirrors
post #13 of 16 Old 10-24-2019, 07:24 PM

I was looking at all the issues claimed in such a short period of time .... not just rain leaks.

"So far the AC has been out twice.
Condenser first go around
Condenser belt second time
Windshield leak and door leak 3 rd time to the point if raining the cab would just fill up.
4th time rear axle broke
5th time altinator went out
6th time brakes failed and needs a new altinator belt
"

Maybe I'm lucky ... my 835R doesn't leak water from rain or pressure washing, plus not a single issue to date.
Why hasn't the OP logged in since dropping the complaint? Most folks respond. Guess it could still be legit.
post #14 of 16 Old 10-25-2019, 06:38 AM Thread Starter

Iím sorry I have been absent. JohnDeere could not seem to get it right. They even brought someone in to look at it. After 6 weeks in the shop I asked for them to buy it back and to my surprise got zero resistance.
Trigreen and JohnDeere where incredibly nice and very professional. I lost about $3,000.00 in repairs and accessories how ever not the end of the world but still frustrating. I ended up purchasing a Kawasaki Mule and a Honda pioneer. They have been great farm machines this fall how ever ride quality, fit to finish and motor noise makes them seem very cheap compared to the gator. I understand why gators cost a significant amount more.

Also as a side note I was willing to buy another gator however the service manger who is now been let go made a comment that it still was all my fault about the issues and if bought another one it would still have all these issues. So I went to buy a Polaris cab unit and settled on 2 units instead of one. That was because shortly after this post I got robbed at my farm. The thief took my 16í trailer and stole my Honda four wheelers zero turns tools etc. hey drove the gator out of the barn using the zero tun key but I think he thought it was broke because the seat belt wasnít plugged in. So he left close to where he loaded my other stuff up. All caught on camera. He cut 7 locks with a grinder stole 31k in equitment in 24 mins flat. He had a Honda key and was smart enough to use my zero turn key to crank the grater.

Side note
I go to my JohnDeere dealer weekly for parts. Every time I look for the gator and itís just sitting in the back corner with all the old junkers. I assumed they where going to wholesale it but JohnDeere is taking it back to Wisconsin. That means a lot in my books.

Lastly Iíve read everyoneís comments sense the original post as they get emailed to me. Just not a lot of questions for me to answer which is why I hadnít responded. Then when I would try to get logged in for update Iíd get side tracked or busy etc. very sorry

Thank yíall for all rather Responses.
post #15 of 16 Old 10-25-2019, 08:05 AM

Sir, I'm sorry about all your misfortunes. Seems you just got a problematic 835R, but in the end John Deere helped you out buying the machine back. I had a similar experience with a new tractor about 15 years ago where John Deere offered to replace or buy back the tractor. I opted to replace and the tractor has been rock solid ever since. I've found John Deere is very good about keeping satisfied customers but a lot also depends on the dealer.

Talk about bad luck....... theft of your equipment and issues with new 835R all in short period of time. Good luck with your new Honda Pioneer and Kawasaki Mule. Both are good machines. Hope they caught the thief.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   John Deere Gator Forums > John Deere Gator General Discussion > Gator General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the John Deere Gator Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode