835R gator with cab issues - John Deere Gator Forums
Gator General Discussion If you need to talk about the John Deere Gator XUV/SXS/UTV and it does not fit into a more specific section down below, post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 07-08-2019, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

835R gator with cab issues

Hey guys first post.
I have 835R Cab unit. I took possession of it in November of 18.
Less then 100hrs.
It has been in the shop 5 times as of today.
So far the AC has been out twice.
Condenser first go around
Condenser belt second time
Windshield leak and door leak 3 rd time to the point if raining the cab would just fill up.
4th time rear axle broke
5th time altinator went out
6th time brakes failed and needs a new altinator belt

Every time my dealer has blamed it on too much mud. Except the door and windshield leak.
Now Ive been using this dealer since 2006. Im very good friends with all the mangers. I own multiple tractors, skidsteer, excavators and zero turns. This is my 4th gator.

They claim the cab unit just isnt made for mud.
Now Im not mud riding this thing. I have 210 acres and a lot of the roads are wet but my Polaris EV makes it through all of them just fine.

Im just having a hard time thinking mud is the culprit. Has any one else had issues with there 835r.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-08-2019, 08:14 PM

I have had my 835 M since Sept 2018. 300 hours on dial. On my property, I ride thru LOTS of mud. Thru the Mighty Wildcat creek Then out on the road generally throwing mud everywhere. On a daily basis. My machine is usually so muddy, my wife, Slick, refuses to ride it in. Bessie the basset hound doesnt mind, shell go muddy or not.
Never has presented any issue at all. Pressure washer it off, do the maintenance and lets go again. So you dealer is saying John Deere equipment cant get muddy . If you look at the sales brochures and pictures offered on their website, John Deere shows plenty of pictures with our unit deep into the mud hole.
My cab has had same problem with leaks. Both top front corners. Water and air. My dealer has attempted adjustment several times. The truth is, I dont think they know how. I wish someone on this forum would educate me on how to do that adjustment. I could play with it everyday till I get it right.
I am really sorry to hear about your problems with your new unit. You seem to have much more patience than I would have. Way too much money was spent to have such medicore results. I will be following closely...good luck. Joe

Last edited by KokomoJoe; 07-08-2019 at 08:20 PM.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-09-2019, 09:00 AM

Garage
I had similar issues with air leaking in the cab of my 2011 F350 KR. After several attempts by the dealership, I found a solution on a forum.

If the door and window seals have an open void in the center, I added some closed cell 1/4 foam cord. Problem solved!

Im not sure if the 835 Gator has a similar type of door/window seal, but I would throw this out there.

Please report back on your findings!

2012 Gator 825i (new engine at 1700 hours) Power Steering-Sport Exhaust- Deluxe Cab-Heater- Work Lights On Top Front And Rear- Hella HID Driving Lights-Warn ProVantage 4500 synthetic winch-Electric Dump- Gillmore Seat Covers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 07-09-2019, 03:28 PM

I think I change my mind. Thought about this quite a bit today because what is affecting you, could happen to me as well... Here's my take

When I go thru the Mud, and I do, I go at a crawl. Literally. Because I do not want to get mud everywhere, which includes the engine compartment. It gets dirty, just not overwhelming. Clean it up once in awhile and you are good to go.

You have over 200 acres... I have 60. You have dirt roads and lanes that you routinely use that get muddy and sloppy when it rains, snows etc. If you have any speed at all, you are going to load your engine compartment with mud and dirt. No doubt about it. The entire machine itself is not greatly protected from gettin very muddy and dirty. On a dry dusty road the air cleaner loads up with an unbelievable amount of dust. I clean it out every time I go down a gravel road at anything over 10mph.

I will bet you travel at a fair but safe speed when you are on the muddy sloppy road. Like I said, any thing over 10mph will load the engine compartment with mud. Raise your bed and take a look after your next muddy trip. I think its going to be very full of mud.

With that in mind, I want to say that I am usually wrong and this is just an idea and my observations. Won't hurt my feelings a bit if I am wrong. Joe
post #5 of 7 Old 07-10-2019, 01:37 PM

Well, here I go again. Sorry about multiple replies.....
I have been riding my 835 M for a few hours today. Been thinking about this issue, because it bothers me.
My rant today is : does the xuv full cab get muddy? Yes, very. Does it get into the engine area under the bed ? Yep, a lot.
Should this effect performance of the machine ? Maybe a little would be understandable.
Should mud in the engine bay and on the engine and accessories cause component failure and operational issue ? ABSOLUTELY NO WAY. I have had other side by side units completely buried in mud. Engine almost fully encased. Winch it out, fire it up and keep going. But it did not have all of the belt driven components and accessories. And the belt driven components are what is failing on the OP s machine. But that is not acceptable. For $30 k I expect my machine to be the most rugged, durable, highest quality piece of equipment that was ever put on this earth. But its not.
It is a very nice machine to ride around in and I like it very much. I am learning it has some limitations. So far, I can live with those limitations.
There you have it. I shall cease the ranting for now.
Joe
post #6 of 7 Old 07-10-2019, 03:34 PM

Garage
Why didnt the dealership replace the belt when the alternator failed?

2012 Gator 825i (new engine at 1700 hours) Power Steering-Sport Exhaust- Deluxe Cab-Heater- Work Lights On Top Front And Rear- Hella HID Driving Lights-Warn ProVantage 4500 synthetic winch-Electric Dump- Gillmore Seat Covers
post #7 of 7 Old Today, 07:48 PM

The dealer should take care of it , they have DTAC notes of door leaks ,and air condition issues. even belt issue. I hope warranty is taking care of it. all the problems they can summit .

Lower Navigation
Go Back   John Deere Gator Forums > John Deere Gator General Discussion > Gator General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the John Deere Gator Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in