100hr. Valve Adjustment Necessary???? - John Deere Gator Forums
Gator General Discussion If you need to talk about the John Deere Gator XUV/SXS/UTV and it does not fit into a more specific section down below, post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 07-10-2019, 07:23 AM Thread Starter

100hr. Valve Adjustment Necessary????

As I mentioned in a previous post, my XUV 550 just hit the 100 hr. mark. Due to hitting this milestone, I was looking through the owner’s manual for anything else I should service, in addition to changing the oil.

I came across some information stating that, after the first 100 hrs. the machine should be taken to a dealership to have the engine valves adjusted. I was wondering if anyone has actually done this? Is it really necessary and beneficial? Is this an expensive service? Etc.?

Any advice or insight you can offer is greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-10-2019, 05:09 PM

My machine is a 2014 model 625I that recently passed the 100 hour mark. Had the dealer change all relevant filters, flushes, and liquid changes (radiator, oil, air, fuel etc). There was no mention of the need for valve adjustment.

625I: black & olive, roof, full windshield,front cargo rack, floor mats, Koplin tool grips, front cv guards, mid-range front lights, cargo bed protectors,
post #3 of 8 Old 07-10-2019, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shink4 View Post
My machine is a 2014 model 625I that recently passed the 100 hour mark. Had the dealer change all relevant filters, flushes, and liquid changes (radiator, oil, air, fuel etc). There was no mention of the need for valve adjustment.
Interesting. It definitely states to have them adjusted after the first 100 hrs. in my manual. I just don’t know how necessary that service really is. I own a large property and will be using this machine quite a bit. I need it to last. So, maintenance is very important to me for optimum performance and longevity.

I’m heading to my dealership tomorrow to pick up an oil filter and a rear bumper I ordered. While there, I’ll see what they have to say. Thank you, for your input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old Yesterday, 02:23 AM

Garage
I believe the 625i XUV and the 550 XUV have different engines manufacture’s, thus different maintenance specifications.

2012 Gator 825i (new engine at 1700 hours) Power Steering-Sport Exhaust- Deluxe Cab-Heater- Work Lights On Top Front And Rear- Hella HID Driving Lights-Warn ProVantage 4500 synthetic winch-Electric Dump- Gillmore Seat Covers
post #5 of 8 Old Yesterday, 06:31 AM Thread Starter

@Bradhill

You’re absolutely right, very different engines. I’m just curious if anyone has had this service performed to any engine in the Gator lineup. Trying to decide if it is a good idea or a waste of time & money. Like I said, I’ll be visiting my dealer today. While there, I’m going to speak with a mechanic, not a salesman, and try to get a feel for whether or not it is recommended. I’ll report back for anyone who might be interested.
post #6 of 8 Old Yesterday, 08:13 AM

Garage
PM sent

2012 Gator 825i (new engine at 1700 hours) Power Steering-Sport Exhaust- Deluxe Cab-Heater- Work Lights On Top Front And Rear- Hella HID Driving Lights-Warn ProVantage 4500 synthetic winch-Electric Dump- Gillmore Seat Covers
post #7 of 8 Old Yesterday, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Update: I spoke with the head of the service department at my dealership and asked about the manual’s recommendation for engine valve adjustment at the 100 hr. mark.

In a nutshell, I was told, “If the machine seems to be running fine, don’t worry about it!” So, I guess I’ll skip it for now until I have reason to believe it is needed.

Last edited by IrishRed; Yesterday at 05:42 PM.
post #8 of 8 Old Today, 05:20 AM

The good thing is the valve covers are easily accessible on the 550. It would be a easy job to do the valve adjustment yourself especially if you pull the bed off.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   John Deere Gator Forums > John Deere Gator General Discussion > Gator General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the John Deere Gator Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in