Heat issue - John Deere Gator Forums
Gator General Discussion If you need to talk about the John Deere Gator XUV/SXS/UTV and it does not fit into a more specific section down below, post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 07-10-2019, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Heat issue

Just purchased a 590m and am experiencing a lot of heat coming from the center section of the bucket seat, does everybody just deal with this or has anybody found a fix to divert this heat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-16-2019, 12:23 PM

Mine produces a lot of heat as well. So just following for ideas.
post #3 of 14 Old 07-16-2019, 01:30 PM

I have a 860m and it’s unbearable in summer even with shorts on. Nice in fall and spring but not summer.
I took the seats and plastic off as if you were going to change the belt and I went to Menards and picked up some reflextic. It’s flexable, I wrapped up behind seats to top of air cleaner box, in front of compartment behind my feet and top. Around shifter and seatbelts. I used heat tape to seal everything and screwed the plastic compartment screws right thru the reflextic. I sealed up the battery and fuse compartment up but I have a utility knife with me if I have to cut a opening to get to them, and have some heat tape with me also to tape it back up. I would say it’s about a 90% difference in heat reduction.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DBDD35F5-F058-4EFC-A4A3-2CB0954F0859_1563301723401.jpeg
Views:	21
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	11635  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 07-16-2019, 01:49 PM

My next project this winter is to put 2 bilge fans below seats and run 3” defrost ducting tubes and put a bezel vent deflector out bottom skid plate and pump hot air out of under seat,!with switch on the dash.
post #5 of 14 Old 07-17-2019, 12:52 PM

Do you have pictures of your project where you used the reflector tape. I wanna see how it came out. Get a picture to what you are talking about.
post #6 of 14 Old 07-19-2019, 05:14 AM

Garage
Check out jegs.com they offer automotive heat shield with adhesive backing. This is great stuff!!

https://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS/JEGS-Hea...18562/10002/-1

2012 Gator 825i (new engine at 1700 hours) Power Steering-Sport Exhaust- Deluxe Cab-Heater- Work Lights On Top Front And Rear- Hella HID Driving Lights-Warn ProVantage 4500 synthetic winch-Electric Dump- Gillmore Seat Covers
post #7 of 14 Old 07-21-2019, 10:35 PM

Brad...do you think the heat shield matting material can be applied to or perhaps between an existing metal heat shield and a fuel line on a 1953 Ford tractor? The machine develops a vapor lock after 60-80 minutes of operation whenever the air temps are above 65 degrees....really poor design. The fuel line gets gunked up with dirt, fuel etc and I have not found anything that will stick to that tube surface that is approx 3/8 in O.D. diameter.

625I: black & olive, roof, full windshield,front cargo rack, floor mats, Koplin tool grips, front cv guards, mid-range front lights, cargo bed protectors,
post #8 of 14 Old 07-22-2019, 12:05 AM

Garage
Heat issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shink4 View Post
Brad...do you think the heat shield matting material can be applied to or perhaps between an existing metal heat shield and a fuel line on a 1953 Ford tractor? The machine develops a vapor lock after 60-80 minutes of operation whenever the air temps are above 65 degrees....really poor design. The fuel line gets gunked up with dirt, fuel etc and I have not found anything that will stick to that tube surface that is approx 3/8 in O.D. diameter.

Perhaps this will help? This sleeve is made specifically for fuel lines, other diameters and lengths are available.

There are other types of heat shield that you can wrap and secure with stainless wire ties.

2012 Gator 825i (new engine at 1700 hours) Power Steering-Sport Exhaust- Deluxe Cab-Heater- Work Lights On Top Front And Rear- Hella HID Driving Lights-Warn ProVantage 4500 synthetic winch-Electric Dump- Gillmore Seat Covers

Last edited by Bradhill; 07-22-2019 at 02:07 AM.
post #9 of 14 Old 07-22-2019, 09:23 AM

Will try it....really appreciate the suggestion....Brad Shinkle

625I: black & olive, roof, full windshield,front cargo rack, floor mats, Koplin tool grips, front cv guards, mid-range front lights, cargo bed protectors,
post #10 of 14 Old 07-22-2019, 07:40 PM

Garage
Keep us updated!

post #11 of 14 Old 08-05-2019, 10:14 AM

Brad...wanted to thank you for the suggested application of the "heat sleeve" for my vapor lock issue with a 1953 Ford 800 tractor. The installation was a major pain but the performance is a remarkable improvement. I ran 2-3 hours in 80+ degree air temps with zero vapor lock stall events. The stuff works like a charm.

Shink4

post #12 of 14 Old 08-05-2019, 10:54 AM

Garage
Heat issue

Quote:
Brad...wanted to thank you for the suggested application of the "heat sleeve" for my vapor lock issue with a 1953 Ford 800 tractor. The installation was a major pain but the performance is a remarkable improvement. I ran 2-3 hours in 80+ degree air temps with zero vapor lock stall events. The stuff works like a charm.

Shink4

You’re welcome!! I was curious about the Installation on your 53.

Glad to help and happy with the results.

On edit:

Brad, do you have any photos of the “heat sleeve “ installed?

Last edited by Bradhill; 08-05-2019 at 12:21 PM.
post #13 of 14 Old 08-06-2019, 12:09 PM

The fuel line emerges from the bottom of the tank, makes a 90 degree bend , runs the length of the engine between the valve cover and the exhaust muffler, makes another 90 degree bend, runs down the left side of the engine to the collector bowl. I detached the fuel line at both points and, with substantial swearing and wrist twisting, was able to thread the sleeve over the line.

The tractor is 175 miles from home, will try to get photos next time I am up there in a couple of weeks...thanks again for the idea.

Photos try to show installation of insulating sleeve over fuel line from bottom of fuel tank (photo 2) to top of the collection bowl (photo 1). The sleeve has made a significant improvement in hot weather operations.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuel Sleeve #1.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	11789   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuel Sleeve #2.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	835.5 KB
ID:	11791  

Last edited by Shink4; 08-18-2019 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Add Photos
post #14 of 14 Old 08-06-2019, 12:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
The fuel line emerges from the bottom of the tank, makes a 90 degree bend , runs the length of the engine between the valve cover and the exhaust muffler, makes another 90 degree bend, runs down the left side of the engine to the collector bowl. I detached the fuel line at both points and, with substantial swearing and wrist twisting, was able to thread the sleeve over the line.

The tractor is 175 miles from home, will try to get photos next time I am up there in a couple of weeks...thanks again for the idea.

Sounds great!! Thanks

Lower Navigation
Go Back   John Deere Gator Forums > John Deere Gator General Discussion > Gator General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the John Deere Gator Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode