What windshield washer fluid do you use? - John Deere Gator Forums
Gator General Discussion If you need to talk about the John Deere Gator XUV/SXS/UTV and it does not fit into a more specific section down below, post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 07-29-2019, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

What windshield washer fluid do you use?

JD says cleaning Gator XUV835 polycarbonate windshield with regular windshield washer fluid will ruin it.

Um ... huh? First thing I did when I found the reservoir was fill it with the normal blue stuff. Now I'm supposed to drain it out and not use it, I suppose.

Instead, JD sells a $19 + SH, to clean it. Better not use the other stuff, they say.

Anyone paying 19 bucks to fill up their washer bottle!?

If not, what are you using, and to what result? Apparently this stuff is Lexan.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-29-2019, 11:31 AM

Garage
What windshield washer fluid do you use?

This product is reportedly safe for a plastic headlights which are a Lexan product I believe.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001NZFCRW..._07XpDb3NX9SN3

On edit: I believe the key is to use a product without Ammonia

2012 Gator 825i (new engine at 1700 hours) Power Steering-Sport Exhaust- Deluxe Cab-Heater- Work Lights On Top Front And Rear- Hella HID Driving Lights-Warn ProVantage 4500 synthetic winch-Electric Dump- Gillmore Seat Covers

Last edited by Bradhill; 07-29-2019 at 01:21 PM.
post #3 of 13 Old 07-29-2019, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Bradhill! I bought it. I'll use it in the summer, but will need to remember to drain it in the winter. It's not freeze proof. They make one that is but it has alcohol and I'm not sure about that with this windshield. I'd like to have the MSDS on the John Deere recommended fluid:

https://www.greenpartstore.com/John-...3-TY27682.html

Last edited by Deere John; 07-29-2019 at 09:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 07-30-2019, 10:25 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deere John View Post
Thanks Bradhill! I bought it. I'll use it in the summer, but will need to remember to drain it in the winter. It's not freeze proof. They make one that is but it has alcohol and I'm not sure about that with this windshield. I'd like to have the MSDS on the John Deere recommended fluid:

https://www.greenpartstore.com/John-...3-TY27682.html

Deere should be able to provide MSDS on their products-I believe they are required by law, to do so.

I would contact Green Farm Parts or your local dealership to obtain a copy of the MSDS.

2012 Gator 825i (new engine at 1700 hours) Power Steering-Sport Exhaust- Deluxe Cab-Heater- Work Lights On Top Front And Rear- Hella HID Driving Lights-Warn ProVantage 4500 synthetic winch-Electric Dump- Gillmore Seat Covers
post #5 of 13 Old 07-30-2019, 03:58 PM

Another option is to reference the chemical compatibility charts based on the windshield material (polycarbonate?).

Here's an example of what I'm referring to. https://www.ameriluxinternational.co...bility2015.pdf

file:///C:/Users/Michael%20O'Ship/AppData/Local/Packages/Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe/TempState/Downloads/Polycarbonate%20Chemical%20Compatibility%20Overvie w%20(1).pdf

2012 JD855D OPS Black Poly Roof, Deluxe Cargo Box, Front and Rear Protection, Power Lift, Front Hood Rack, Rear Screen (homemade), 800 Watt Inverter, 2500lb Winch installed in cargo bed, Front and Rear LED auxiliary lighting (4" square 27 watt), Front and Rear CV Guards, Koplin Side Mirrors
post #6 of 13 Old 07-31-2019, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Wow - that's an awesome resource. Thanks 200.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200mph View Post
Another option is to reference the chemical compatibility charts based on the windshield material (polycarbonate?).

Here's an example of what I'm referring to. https://www.ameriluxinternational.co...bility2015.pdf

file:///C:/Users/Michael%20O'Ship/AppData/Local/Packages/Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe/TempState/Downloads/Polycarbonate%20Chemical%20Compatibility%20Overvie w%20(1).pdf
post #7 of 13 Old 07-31-2019, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Good idea. Thank you.
post #8 of 13 Old 08-02-2019, 11:19 AM

The windshield in my 865r gator is glass. I think that reference in the manual is a copy paste error from and old model.

Gator 865r Fully Pimped Out
post #9 of 13 Old 08-03-2019, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattleboy View Post
The windshield in my 865r gator is glass. I think that reference in the manual is a copy paste error from and old model.
Consider yourself lucky. Not all windshield options are glass. A majority of them are not and require special attention to prevent scratching, hazing and crazing.

2012 JD855D OPS Black Poly Roof, Deluxe Cargo Box, Front and Rear Protection, Power Lift, Front Hood Rack, Rear Screen (homemade), 800 Watt Inverter, 2500lb Winch installed in cargo bed, Front and Rear LED auxiliary lighting (4" square 27 watt), Front and Rear CV Guards, Koplin Side Mirrors
post #10 of 13 Old 08-03-2019, 11:37 AM

Garage
Quote:
Quote:

Consider yourself lucky. Not all windshield options are glass. A majority of them are not and require special attention to prevent scratching, hazing and crazing.

@200mph during your research did you come across the types of any special coatings that are applied to the polycarbonate to help minimize scratching?

I wonder how these coatings withstand the pressure/movement of wipers across a windshield contaminated with dust, dirt, bird droppings, etc?

post #11 of 13 Old 08-03-2019, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Good point. Im not sure what the OP has, but I thought it was an 835 with a factory cabwhich should be glass

Gator 865r Fully Pimped Out
post #12 of 13 Old 08-04-2019, 06:25 AM

Various hard coatings can be applied to polycarbonate to improve durability against wear. They make a big difference as uncoated material will scratch very easily. I wouldn't buy without some type of hard coating especially if contemplating a wiper.

Various coatings can be applied, but I'm not aware of anything that can be applied at home. The best one can typically do is to make certain the vendor will certify a hard coating has been applied. Yes, there are differences between the coatings and how durable they are, but any hard coating will be vastly superior compared to uncoated.

More than 25 years ago a supplier sent samples of hard coating examples for a product I was developing. It came with a few 2"x3" polycarbonate plaques and steel-wool. The uncoated scratched immediately while some samples were almost impervious to the steel-wool. I was shocked at the difference they make.

These are the same type of coatings applied to eye wear to improve durability.

post #13 of 13 Old 08-04-2019, 06:49 AM

Garage
Quote:
Various hard coatings can be applied to polycarbonate to improve durability against wear. They make a big difference as uncoated material will scratch very easily. I wouldn't buy without some type of hard coating especially if contemplating a wiper.

Various coatings can be applied, but I'm not aware of anything that can be applied at home. The best one can typically do is to make certain the vendor will certify a hard coating has been applied. Yes, there are differences between the coatings and how durable they are, but any hard coating will be vastly superior compared to uncoated.

More than 25 years ago a supplier sent samples of hard coating examples for a product I was developing. It came with a few 2"x3" polycarbonate plaques and steel-wool. The uncoated scratched immediately while some samples were almost impervious to the steel-wool. I was shocked at the difference they make.

These are the same type of coatings applied to eye wear to improve durability.

Amazing information Thank you!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   John Deere Gator Forums > John Deere Gator General Discussion > Gator General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the John Deere Gator Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode