xuv 550 vs xuv 560 - John Deere Gator Forums
Gator General Discussion If you need to talk about the John Deere Gator XUV/SXS/UTV and it does not fit into a more specific section down below, post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 08-11-2019, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

Garage
xuv 550 vs xuv 560

When I bought the 560, I was told that there had been some clutch / transmission issues with the 550. The 560 supposedly has the issues "worked out". Anyone know the particulars regarding the differences between the two models? They seem to be the same machine with the same engine, with perhaps some difference in the drive train. Appreciate any info on the subject.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 08-11-2019, 08:03 AM

Garage
I would be surprised if the primary clutch issues have been resolved with this model.

JD certainly did not address the issues on the 590.

2012 Gator 825i (new engine at 1700 hours) Power Steering-Sport Exhaust- Deluxe Cab-Heater- Work Lights On Top Front And Rear- Hella HID Driving Lights-Warn ProVantage 4500 synthetic winch-Electric Dump- Gillmore Seat Covers
post #3 of 28 Old 08-11-2019, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I had not heard of issues with the 590! So as far as you know the entire drive train is the same on the 560 as the 550 was? I wonder what prompted the model# change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 08-12-2019, 07:11 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flacco View Post
...So as far as you know the entire drive train is the same on the 560 as the 550 ...

I cant say the entire drive train is the same.

What I said was I would be surprised if the primary clutch issues have been resolved with this model.

There are more components to the drive train, than simply a primary clutch.

2012 Gator 825i (new engine at 1700 hours) Power Steering-Sport Exhaust- Deluxe Cab-Heater- Work Lights On Top Front And Rear- Hella HID Driving Lights-Warn ProVantage 4500 synthetic winch-Electric Dump- Gillmore Seat Covers
post #5 of 28 Old 08-12-2019, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Understood. Bad choice of words on my part. Is there anyone out there who owns a gator that HASN'T had clutch issues? I am beginning to wonder if I made a mistake buying the Gator over another brand!
post #6 of 28 Old 08-12-2019, 11:16 AM

Garage
xuv 550 vs xuv 560

Quote:
...Anyone know the particulars regarding the differences between the two models? ...

Apparently the 560 has greater payload, towing capacity and perhaps a updated braking system?

There maybe other updates that Im not aware of?

post #7 of 28 Old 08-12-2019, 03:31 PM

Used 2012 550 JD gator

Looking at a used 2012 JD Gator 550 at my local JD dealer. 685 hours. Dealer said guy traded it in on a bigger model. They put on a new head and gaskets, said it went up on them after he traded it in. Put on new cables and shifting arms.

Educated myself on all the issues the 550 has had. Going to dig into it more when I try it out tomorrow.

Any other advise?
post #8 of 28 Old 08-13-2019, 09:31 PM

My 590i has clutch issues. I've been told that running it more will help as I only use it between June and August. However, one solution is turning it off then switching gears does work. It's a pain, but a free fix for now.
post #9 of 28 Old 08-13-2019, 10:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhyson View Post
My 590i has clutch issues. I've been told that running it more will help as I only use it between June and August. However, one solution is turning it off then switching gears does work. It's a pain, but a free fix for now.

Sadly operating the Gator more will not help, actually there is a possibility of damaging the shift lever if use is continued.

Contact JD Clutch Doc for a proven long term solution for hard to shift into and out of gear issues.

[email protected] for more information

post #10 of 28 Old 08-14-2019, 08:25 AM

Hey guys, listen to Brad. My 550 was having the dreaded shift problems too, but Brad and Doc got me squared away. My machine has been absolutely flawless since and shifts like butter. I absolutely love my little 550 now. It’s certainly not a racer, but it’s a simple and rugged little buggy that gets the job done for me. It’s an animal in 4WD; especially in Low Range & Locked. 👍👍👍

I bought it May 1st with 73 hrs on it and it now (Aug. 14th) has 133 hrs on it. So, as you can see, I’ve been using mine. Another thing I love about my 550 is it is easy on gas. Overall, I’m very happy with its performance and build quality. Makes me smile every time I get in it!

Bottom line if your 550/560/590 is giving you shifting issues, don’t hesitate to let Brad and Doc get you fixed up. Their price is very reasonable and you will love your machine afterwards! Also, don’t let it make you pass up a good deal or be afraid to purchase a Gator. It’s a pretty simple fix and they are great machines.

Last edited by IrishRed; 08-14-2019 at 08:28 AM.
post #11 of 28 Old 08-14-2019, 09:02 AM

Garage
xuv 550 vs xuv 560

@IrishRed @MBDiagMan Thanks for the shout-out!!!
Doc and I truly appreciate your kinds words!

Last edited by Bradhill; 08-14-2019 at 09:05 AM.
post #12 of 28 Old 08-14-2019, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks, IrishRed, but the issue for some of us would be removing the clutch and reinstalling after the rebuild.
post #13 of 28 Old 08-14-2019, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Thanks, IrishRed, but the issue for some of us would be removing the clutch and reinstalling after the rebuild.
Flacco,

I understand your reluctance to dive into such a project. I had similar feelings. However, it wasn’t too complicated. It was a bit of a pain due to the tight fit, but definitely not rocket science. There is an excellent video on YouTube that shows the procedure step-by-step. The only thing out of the ordinary you’ll need is the clutch removal tool. I made mine for just a few bucks in bolts from Fastenal. Search the threads on this site and you’ll find all the information you’ll need. You can also purchase the John Deere tool online, but it’s definitely more expensive than making your own.

In summary, don’t be intimidated by this job. It just takes a little patience. Once done, you’ll have a newly found appreciation of your machine and it’s capabilities!
post #14 of 28 Old 08-15-2019, 05:29 AM

The biggest part of the clutch project is simply gaining access. It's not a bad job if you just bite the bullet and remove the bed and chuck up a Torx bit in a cordless drill and pull off body panels until the Gator looks like a plucked chicken so you have easy access. After the body is out of the way I find it very handy to use a 1/4" drive socket set with a lot of extensions including a universal joint for removing the plastic clutch covers. Lastly, order the clutch removal tool. Do NOT try to pry, hammer or lever it off somehow as you risk bending the engine's crankshaft.
post #15 of 28 Old 08-15-2019, 06:20 AM

The same old clutch problems still show up in the 590 and 560. They have been redesigned for better air flow, but the real problem remains.

BTW, Dane is offering REALLY solid advice when he recommends removing the clutch with the proper puller. We can fix a bad clutch, but we can’t recreate one that has been destroyed.

Doc the Clutch Man

Gator 825i

Last edited by MBDiagMan; 08-15-2019 at 06:24 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   John Deere Gator Forums > John Deere Gator General Discussion > Gator General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the John Deere Gator Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode