Drive shaft caged bearing - John Deere Gator Forums
Gator General Discussion If you need to talk about the John Deere Gator XUV/SXS/UTV and it does not fit into a more specific section down below, post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 08-13-2019, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Drive shaft caged bearing

Hopefully someone can help point me in the right direction. I have an xuv590i S4 that just recently had a drive shaft issue. Taking it apart I found that the torn boot had got into the caged bearing (caged roller, seems to have different names). I'm trying to replace that part only since I dont want/need an entirely new driveshaft. The John Deere diagram for my model shows this one piece with no number to purchase it. How can I get this one piece?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190812_150918321_1565746668554.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	3.51 MB
ID:	11767  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-13-2019, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

A second picture showing the John Deere diagram with no part number.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20190813-221610_Chrome_1565749044399.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	225.5 KB
ID:	11769  
post #3 of 13 Old 08-13-2019, 11:22 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhyson View Post
A second picture showing the John Deere diagram with no part number.

I’m not certain this part is sold separately?

In my experience if a number is not adjacent to the part, the component is not sold separately and must be purchased as a entire assembly.

I realize this is not what you want to read- go to greenfarmparts.com they are offering a 8% discount on parts this week. It might help to take sting away just a bit.

2012 Gator 825i (new engine at 1700 hours) Power Steering-Sport Exhaust- Deluxe Cab-Heater- Work Lights On Top Front And Rear- Hella HID Driving Lights-Warn ProVantage 4500 synthetic winch-Electric Dump- Gillmore Seat Covers

Last edited by Bradhill; 08-13-2019 at 11:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 08-14-2019, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

One question that I'm curious is if I could replace just the broken bearing ring that goes inside the brass fitting, as seen in the first photo. If so, much easier fix once I measure the diameter inside and out.
post #5 of 13 Old 08-14-2019, 10:42 AM

Garage

Quote:
One question that I'm curious is if I could replace just the broken bearing ring that goes inside the brass fitting, as seen in the first photo. If so, much easier fix once I measure the diameter inside and out.

For clarification- Is the part you’re referring to shown below with an Red arrow ?

2012 Gator 825i (new engine at 1700 hours) Power Steering-Sport Exhaust- Deluxe Cab-Heater- Work Lights On Top Front And Rear- Hella HID Driving Lights-Warn ProVantage 4500 synthetic winch-Electric Dump- Gillmore Seat Covers

Last edited by Bradhill; 08-14-2019 at 11:41 AM.
post #6 of 13 Old 08-14-2019, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

At first I was thinking I needed the brass fitting, bearing, etc. and that got me no where after a dew days of looking around. However, after watching a few videos on YouTube and seeing the cage bearing removed with no problem and the ball bearings replaced, etc I think I might be in luck to replace only the bearings you are referring to. Granted, my cage is broke so once replaced, fingers crossed, may save myself hundreds after all.
post #7 of 13 Old 08-15-2019, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

If I could locate the bearing indicated with the red arrow I would be ecstatic!
post #8 of 13 Old Today, 04:16 AM

Garage
Quote:
If I could locate the bearing indicated with the red arrow I would be ecstatic!

Please keep us updated!

post #9 of 13 Old Today, 08:00 AM

It might be worth investigating a similar part with the other side by side manufactures to see if they offer the part individually. It might be hard to determine if it is exactly the same, but at least you'll get an idea if it is generally available elsewhere.

Perhaps one of the axle places could match up with a similar CV joint.

How much is the assembly from JD? In $'s not body parts ?

2012 JD855D OPS Black Poly Roof, Deluxe Cargo Box, Front and Rear Protection, Power Lift, Front Hood Rack, Rear Screen (homemade), 800 Watt Inverter, 2500lb Winch installed in cargo bed, Front and Rear LED auxiliary lighting (4" square 27 watt), Front and Rear CV Guards, Koplin Side Mirrors
post #10 of 13 Old Today, 03:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
...However, after watching a few videos on YouTube and seeing the cage bearing removed with no problem and the ball bearings replaced,....

Was the video you watched on YouTube of someone doing a repair on a John Deere Gator 590 ?

post #11 of 13 Old Today, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

I'm willing to make a $17 purchase to test the item listed in the attachment.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20190816-204529_eBay_1566075361619.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	11783  
post #12 of 13 Old Today, 06:06 PM

Let us know how it works and if OK, please provide link on where to purchase. I'm certain others would appreciate the effort in the future.

Good luck!

2012 JD855D OPS Black Poly Roof, Deluxe Cargo Box, Front and Rear Protection, Power Lift, Front Hood Rack, Rear Screen (homemade), 800 Watt Inverter, 2500lb Winch installed in cargo bed, Front and Rear LED auxiliary lighting (4" square 27 watt), Front and Rear CV Guards, Koplin Side Mirrors
post #13 of 13 Old Today, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

Bought on Ebay, and I'll know more once it's here. I'll be sure to let others know, but seems like a small victory for now.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   John Deere Gator Forums > John Deere Gator General Discussion > Gator General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the John Deere Gator Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode