825i engine miss - John Deere Gator Forums
Gator General Discussion If you need to talk about the John Deere Gator XUV/SXS/UTV and it does not fit into a more specific section down below, post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 08-14-2019, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

825i engine miss

Hello, I'm to the forum.
I have done a lot of reading and searching on this forum, others and the web before joining and asking a question. I have read about the problems others are having, but haven't seen any that describe exactly what I'm looking for.

Let me start: 2016 825i
108 hours (102 hrs. When I purchased)
I'm the 3rd owner.
I purchased it in March 2019. This one is the first one I have ever driven, so I was unfamiliar with the fuel pump noise when you turned the key on. Well after driving it some I noticed that if you don't wait for the fuel pump to pump up and you start the engine, it will run with a miss. I don't know if it's 1 cylinder or 2 that's missing. One day I switched it on and waited for the fuel pump to pump up, started it and it ran fine. Them another time I waited started it , it ran fine and after 10 minutes or so it started skipping again. Switching it off and restarting didn't solve the problem. I let it sit for 30 minutes or so restarted and it ran fine. Today I was doing some spraying with it and it ran for about and hour, them started missing and I was wondering if it was going to have enough power to make it back to the trailer.

I haven't got in to diagnosing the problem yet. Thought I would check on some of things I've read.
Which cylinders missing, Plug wires, Injectors, fuel pump, fuel regulator, coils, Etc

What gets me is it misses if you don't wait on fuel pump to pump up (go silent)

Thanks, Byard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-14-2019, 09:20 PM

When you turn on the key it powers a relay so the pump runs to build pressure. it take 50 psi to open injectors and start . if pump is getting weak it will be hard starting . a quick way turn key on and off a couple times build pressure and see if starts easier. you said it was also missing or even a miss at start. it probably has low fuel pressure. you can check hooking in a tee to a pressure gauge after fuel filter. cycle key and watch pressure. also see if regulator is holding after relay cycle off. When was the last time fuel filter been changed, they collect a lot of water from the gas. Check the spark plugs . remove cover and clean dust around boots and remove wires , look to make sure wires ok. they can burn a small hole at bottom end causing a miss or hard starting issue. when you remove spark plugs look at how they look , clean burn white or even tan or black deposit which could be a bad injector. It does not show any check light on ? With that low of hours I would start by changing fuel filter. .
post #3 of 9 Old 08-15-2019, 07:09 AM Thread Starter

Thanks jd772,
like I said, I really haven't tried anything to trouble shoot. As far as starting, it will bust right off if you immediately turn the key to start or wait for the fuel pump to build pressure. It starts fine. It just misses if you don't wait on fuel pump to turn off.
I'll check a few things today and check in tonight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 08-15-2019, 08:51 PM

Sounds ok it needs to cycle fuel pump to build the pressure to open injectors, it is only 3 cylinders not like a auto with 6 or 8 to crank and start
post #5 of 9 Old 09-02-2019, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Update: I know I haven't posted in a while but been very busy.
A few weeks ago I pulled all plugs, they looked fine.
Plug wires are fine, no dust, dirt or debris. Heck it's only been washed 1 time.

But, a few days ago I ran it a few minutes and the miss/skip started. I took a long screwdriver and placed against each injector and handle end to my ear (to use as a stethoscope) The number three injector was not making the clicking sound as the other two were so, I took the tip of the screwdriver and tapped the reddish color part of the injector and the miss went away.

Yesterday after driving a few minutes the miss started again. Again it was the #3 injector, again I tapped injector and miss stopped. While probing with the screwdriver tip I did notice the injector moved a little. Almost like it rotated and clicked into a notch.

Today I used the gator right much and not once did it develop a miss.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-04-2019, 08:57 PM

Sounds like your troubleshooting is sound. Replace the injector.

Doc the Clutch Man

Gator 825i
post #7 of 9 Old 09-11-2019, 07:05 AM Thread Starter

Update: gator was used about all this past Saturday while preparing for upcoming deer season. I actually jumped on it and forgot to let the fuel pump to pump up several times and it started and ran just fine.(in the past it would miss...sometimes)

Is there a possibility that the injector wasn't seated probably. When installing do they snap or lock into place. Like I said when I was fiddling with the injector it turned slightly and clicked or snapped into place.

Thanks
post #8 of 9 Old 09-11-2019, 09:12 AM

I dont know if they lock into place but an air leak could very well be an issue in any case
Try to run it for a bit and if nothing is wrong you mightve fixed it
post #9 of 9 Old 09-12-2019, 09:04 PM

The only snap or lock would be the clip that holds the injector to the rail. The o rings seal . The electrical plugs in to injector with a wire clip that locks in to hold electrical connector.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   John Deere Gator Forums > John Deere Gator General Discussion > Gator General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the John Deere Gator Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode