XUV 550 Four Wheel Drive Transfer Case Popping - John Deere Gator Forums
Gator General Discussion If you need to talk about the John Deere Gator XUV/SXS/UTV and it does not fit into a more specific section down below, post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 09-16-2019, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

XUV 550 Four Wheel Drive Transfer Case Popping

I have a 2017 XUV550 SR. When I engage four wheel drive it makes a sporadic popping noise from what I assume is the transfer case. It is definitely coming from the back of the unit. Sounds like the gear isn't totally engaged, but it will still drive. No grinding. If I go 100 yards it may pop once or twice, but not rhythmic. Am I looking at a shift cable that needs adjusting/replacement or do you think this is a more serious gear issue? It has never done it while only in 2x4. Shifting between gears, forward/reverse works fine. I am new to the forum. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I posted this in the wrong forum already so I am sure it shows that I am a newbie!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-17-2019, 05:09 AM

Had to think this trough for a second and my best advice is to stop driving it and open the transfer case.

Let me explain myself and why this worries me and also why i dont know whats happening.

Firstly there are no moving parts other than a pinion, gear, plastic cage and 12 or so rollers that if they break can take out the whole box and gears and render it entirely useless.

I have seen this happen before on several occasions but have never known what leads up to this and how this problem evolves so i can not tell you if this pop is a precurser to the deadly cage break

What eventually happens is usually that the cage breaks and one of the pins lodges sideways usually locking up the front wheels and breaking said pins off in 5.000.000 tiny pieces.

So again iam not sure if this is that pop but anything from the front dif would surely worry me.

Ofcourse i assumed that you checked bearings and play on axles.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-17-2019, 10:43 AM

Garage
Can you drain the gearbox?

Look for any telltale signs of bearing/gear failure that may show suspended in oil or in the bottom of the drain pan.

2012 Gator 825i (new engine at 1700 hours) Power Steering-Sport Exhaust- Deluxe Cab-Heater- Work Lights On Top Front And Rear- Hella HID Driving Lights-Warn ProVantage 4500 synthetic winch-Electric Dump- Gillmore Seat Covers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 09-17-2019, 01:14 PM

No, i have seen them fail without any metal in the oil

But i missed out on something here and am a complete dickwad as i just now read that it comes from the back and that negates all i said about what i thought was the front dif.

The pop in the rear might just be from the slider system inside.
Easy system dont worry about it, its probably the gears popping a bit, you can adjust it with the cable on the black arm.
All it is is 2 axles with a bushing, if the bushing moves it connects the 2.

Ofcourse any weird noises require attention but this wouldnt worry me as much as the front dif for now.

My bad

Last edited by טים ירושלמי; 09-17-2019 at 01:24 PM.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-18-2019, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Is the slide system in the rear differential for the rear differential lock or the transfer case? Mine makes the popping noise in 4x4 mode when the rear diff lock isn't selected, but it doesn't make the noise when 2x4 is selected. So it is something to do with whatever is in the back that engages to send power to the front wheels. Is there a slide system for the rear gearbox that sends power to the front that could only need adjusting too?
Thanks
post #6 of 6 Old 09-18-2019, 07:53 PM

The differential has the slide that locks up the axles . remove the rear coupler at the pto box to determine if noise is in the front or the rear at the transmission.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   John Deere Gator Forums > John Deere Gator General Discussion > Gator General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the John Deere Gator Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode