Not sure what's wrong with my Gator. - John Deere Gator Forums
Gator General Discussion If you need to talk about the John Deere Gator XUV/SXS/UTV and it does not fit into a more specific section down below, post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 09-17-2019, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Not sure what's wrong with my Gator.

I'll try to keep this as short as possible. My gator usually sits nowadays and I start her once a month to keep her running. The battery went dead about a year ago, and I would jump it with my Jeep, and she would start right up and I'd let her run for 30 minutes.

A few weeks ago I couldn't get her to turn over at all. I bought a new battery and still nothing. The key would always start it but it wouldn't turn it off so I figured maybe the ignition switch finally went. When I try to jump it at the solenoid I hit the fuel line and it popped the cap off the fuel pump. So I got a new ignition switch and fuel pump, but she still would not turn over.

I can turn her over at the solenoid, but she just turns over and over and won't start. I can smell gas but obviously there is no spark. 15 years ago I had her at a John deere shop and they replaced this module or chip, not sure what it's called (circle in red.) I can't remember if it wouldn't start or wouldn't turn over.

I'm sure it has to be a fuse or module or something. Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated. I'm not very knowledgeable so please forgive my lack of terminology. I'm including some extra pictures in case y'all see something I'm missing. Thanks all!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190916_120657-picsay_1568737944966.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	655.9 KB
ID:	11925   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190916_120709_1568737981103.jpg
Size:	4.16 MB
ID:	11927   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190916_120701_1568738008914.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	3.72 MB
ID:	11929   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190916_120641_1568738029919.jpg
Size:	3.37 MB
ID:	11931  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-17-2019, 01:00 PM

I believe its called a spark amplifier thingamajiggy something, replaced one before and yes it stops the machine from sparking

Usually these things are easy to diagnose for trained mechanics because the trick is really simple: work from a to z or if that fails work from z to a.

Start with putting a testlight on the starter side see if theres power, follow the lead to solonoid to see if theres power etc etc.
Once you start seeing power you know the problem is between that point and down the road to where you last checked.

Usually on these old bugger its either one of the safety switches, solenoids or a broken wire.
If going down the points does not yield results you diagnose easiest to hardest.
Solenoids first (try switching some around if you dont have solonoids lying around).
If one starts doimg something you know youre on the right track.
Safety switches second, check them all.

If this all fails and yields no results chances are you have a broken wire, trying hotwiring some parts of wiring untill you find a suspect.

These electrical problems are really hatd to diagnose for anyone without experience so take your time cross your t's and dot your i's

Last edited by טים ירושלמי; 09-17-2019 at 01:12 PM.
post #3 of 3 Old 09-17-2019, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ˜™️ ™️ר•ש️œž™&#xfe0 f; View Post
I believe its called a spark amplifier thingamajiggy something, replaced one before and yes it stops the machine from sparking

Usually these things are easy to diagnose for trained mechanics because the trick is really simple: work from a to z or if that fails work from z to a.

Start with putting a testlight on the starter side see if theres power, follow the lead to solonoid to see if theres power etc etc.
Once you start seeing power you know the problem is between that point and down the road to where you last checked.

Usually on these old bugger its either one of the safety switches, solenoids or a broken wire.
If going down the points does not yield results you diagnose easiest to hardest.
Solenoids first (try switching some around if you dont have solonoids lying around).
If one starts doimg something you know youre on the right track.
Safety switches second, check them all.

If this all fails and yields no results chances are you have a broken wire, trying hotwiring some parts of wiring untill you find a suspect.

These electrical problems are really hatd to diagnose for anyone without experience so take your time cross your t's and dot your i's

Thanks for all of your help. I'll definitely take your advice. I bought this Gator used in 2000 to ride my new born son around the property with. Even though he's almost 20, in college, and doesn't ride on dad's lap anymore, I still have great memories and don't want her to waste away. Once again, thanks!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   John Deere Gator Forums > John Deere Gator General Discussion > Gator General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the John Deere Gator Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode