2013 xuv 550 backfires on acceleration - John Deere Gator Forums
Gator General Discussion If you need to talk about the John Deere Gator XUV/SXS/UTV and it does not fit into a more specific section down below, post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 09-29-2019, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
jim

2013 xuv 550 backfires on acceleration

My only problem with my gator is it back fires and sometimes stalls when accelerating T from an idle. The air filter is new It's idling at 1,100 rpm, I adjusted the air gas mixture and adjusted the valves to .005. I don't know if timing is an issue. I am now lost. Anyone have a suggestion? Thanks in advance. Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-29-2019, 03:00 PM

Garage
Perhaps this will help?

2012 Gator 825i (new engine at 1700 hours) Power Steering-Sport Exhaust- Deluxe Cab-Heater- Work Lights On Top Front And Rear- Hella HID Driving Lights-Warn ProVantage 4500 synthetic winch-Electric Dump- Gillmore Seat Covers
post #3 of 8 Old 10-05-2019, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
jim

Confused

I bought a tiny tach to adjust the idle to spec, but to set it I need to know how many time my engine (Briggs & Stratton fires in one revolution. Anybody? I also need to know how to get to the flywheel to adjust the spark. I have never worked on small engines before. Thanks in advance to any and all help. Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 10-05-2019, 03:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
I bought a tiny tach to adjust the idle to spec, but to set it I need to know how many time my engine (Briggs & Stratton fires in one revolution. Anybody? I also need to know how to get to the flywheel to adjust the spark. I have never worked on small engines before. Thanks in advance to any and all help. Jim

Message sent

2012 Gator 825i (new engine at 1700 hours) Power Steering-Sport Exhaust- Deluxe Cab-Heater- Work Lights On Top Front And Rear- Hella HID Driving Lights-Warn ProVantage 4500 synthetic winch-Electric Dump- Gillmore Seat Covers
post #5 of 8 Old 10-07-2019, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
My only problem with my gator is it back fires and sometimes stalls when accelerating T from an idle. The air filter is new It's idling at 1,100 rpm, I adjusted the air gas mixture and adjusted the valves to .005. I don't know if timing is an issue. I am now lost. Anyone have a suggestion? Thanks in advance. Jim
Ill save you some time and say:dont read the books and wing it.
These backfires on the 550 and 560 are extremely common and mostly due to poor adjustment of the carb and sometimes due to a bad carb or engine problems.
I must add that this caburettor is one of the worst they couldve put on the machine anyway

Usually my check sequence goes like:
-spark
-compression test (if its off it could be valves)
-fuel
-air/fuel (usually ends up being this)
-float height
-exhaust (clogged?)
And then everything else.

Sorry to be a downer but i have spent up to 2 days fixing backfires on these models.
Theres even been one that we couldnt fix.

Edit: i assume you put good gas in and not old crap as these machines are sensitove
post #6 of 8 Old 10-08-2019, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
jim

I am suspicious of the fuel air mixture. I have never seen a carb without a accelerator pump. I appreciate your input along with Bradhill this shall be fixed. Thanks again. Jim
post #7 of 8 Old 10-08-2019, 10:28 PM

Well to help you out a little, they tend to be rich all the time even from factory.
BUT were in a country with a hot climate so i dont know if that relates to you.

I always suspected that john deere or briggs adjusted these things to the richer side in a colder climate making it pretty bad in any type of warm weather
These problems tend to start as early as 50 hours

On the last 560 i just tried to limit the gas by adjusting the float pretty low to reduce fuel delivery on idle and slow speed and then adjusted the carb.

Bit offtopic:
I must say that all my colleagues hate the briggs engine and prefer kawasaki engines.
Now iam a briggs guy because i love the vanguard series but the carb they put on made this machine absolute #@!%
And honestly these engines would be amazing if they whent with a better carb.

If youd want more performance and are handy id put on a different carb, take the ring out the exhaust and raise the rpm and install a high rev kit perhaps
post #8 of 8 Old 10-09-2019, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
jim

This machine is used in the woods clearing and maintain horse trails. A high performance kit would be useless (fun) but useless. However a direct carb swap sounds totally do able. Any suggestions? Thanks for your input. Jim

Lower Navigation
Go Back   John Deere Gator Forums > John Deere Gator General Discussion > Gator General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the John Deere Gator Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode