Correct key? - John Deere Gator Forums
Gator General Discussion If you need to talk about the John Deere Gator XUV/SXS/UTV and it does not fit into a more specific section down below, post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 10-07-2019, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

Correct key?

As most of us have probably learned, no good deed goes unpunished (lol). I lent my 2015 825i to a friend, it came back with the key broken off in the ignition switch. After researching, I'm almost sure I've found the correct replacement. Can someone with this model please confirm that this looks like your key (I like the dust cover): https://www.greenpartstore.com/John-...-AUC12681.html .

Thanks!

Hospitality is making your guests feel at home even when you wish they were.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-07-2019, 01:10 PM

Garage
A broken key removal tool set is real handy. The key blanks are actually a Briggs/Stratton which can be found at most key places. A locksmith can cut a new key with the recovered shank. Otherwise, most JD dealers stock spare keys as they tend to be cut the same. If not, they're a few days away on shipping.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-08-2019, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rule18 View Post
As most of us have probably learned, no good deed goes unpunished (lol). I lent my 2015 825i to a friend, it came back with the key broken off in the ignition switch. After researching, I'm almost sure I've found the correct replacement. Can someone with this model please confirm that this looks like your key (I like the dust cover): https://www.greenpartstore.com/John-...-AUC12681.html .

Thanks!
All gator keys fit all gators.
Theres the model ypu have with the cap.
the "flag" styleName:  images_1570511686950.jpeg
Views: 24
Size:  4.2 KB and a plain metal one
Correct key?-31-12128_1570512494139.jpg

They all fit

The red key (tractor) and the modern one with the rounded top wont fit.
Name:  download_1570511652402.jpeg
Views: 28
Size:  4.4 KB
This wont fit

As a mechanic i always have the dinky key on my personal chain as it saves space and it does not break off like the flag style which tend to break near the ring.
On my secondary work set of keys i have the flag style

Last edited by טים ירושלמי; 10-08-2019 at 12:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 10-08-2019, 06:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by טים ירושלמי View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rule18 View Post

Thanks!
All gator keys fit all gators.
Theres the model ypu have with the cap.
the "flag" styleAttachment 12041 and a plain metal one
Attachment 12049

They all fit

The red key (tractor) and the modern one with the rounded top wont fit.
Attachment 12039
This wont fit

As a mechanic i always have the dinky key on my personal chain as it saves space and it does not break off like the flag style which tend to break near the ring.
On my secondary work set of keys i have the flag style

Thanks for the info..

post #5 of 7 Old 10-08-2019, 06:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSeabee View Post
A broken key removal tool set is real handy. The key blanks are actually a Briggs/Stratton which can be found at most key places. A locksmith can cut a new key with the recovered shank. Otherwise, most JD dealers stock spare keys as they tend to be cut the same. If not, they're a few days away on shipping.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, the removal tool is good except when the key was broken at a point where I can't get to it and it's twisted into the switch (clearly my friend doesn't know his own strength LOL). It's ok, for $35 (of his money) I've got a new ignition switch and a spare key.

post #6 of 7 Old 10-08-2019, 04:05 PM

Garage
I found the shank removal tool handy for when a lanyard got tangled in my clod hopper and snap. Had spare keys and used a flat bladed screwdriver to work the ignition for a couple days until I could get to it.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-08-2019, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSeabee View Post
I found the shank removal tool handy for when a lanyard got tangled in my clod hopper and snap. Had spare keys and used a flat bladed screwdriver to work the ignition for a couple days until I could get to it.

Cool.... Hah, I know Bonner's Ferry, my in-laws have a place in Bayview.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   John Deere Gator Forums > John Deere Gator General Discussion > Gator General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the John Deere Gator Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode