Gator Gear Box Problems - John Deere Gator Forums
Gator General Discussion If you need to talk about the John Deere Gator XUV/SXS/UTV and it does not fit into a more specific section down below, post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 10-09-2019, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

Angry Gator Gear Box Problems

Hi Everyone,

Brand new to the site. Joined because I need help!

I have owned my John Deere Gator 825-i for about 7 years. Used lightly and had maintenance done regularly. Had a friend use it over this weekend at the lake. 10/9/19/. He drove it for about 2 hours, then all at once, he claimed the gearbox got hot, smoke came out and caught on fire with what appeared to be gearbox oil and / fire dripping from the bottom of the vehicle. The vehicle smoked and burned for about 15 minutes and stopped. The gator will start, but of course, the gears are shot, so it won't move. Anybody heard of anything like this? The tow truck driver who came out to pick it up, says he had been towing for about 8 months at the job and claims he has already towed 3 other John Deere gators with burnt up gearboxes! Is this a problem with these vehicles? What in the world could have caused this? Got it into a small engine shop, assuming The Dealer won't cover anything on a 7-year-old gator. Any information, insight or experience with this would be greatly appreciated.

Update- Got this into a mechanic, said the driveshaft broke. $900.00 Bill to repair and repair some melted wires from the fire. I can't understand how a driveshaft breaks on a 7-year-old lightly used 825I Gator. Anyone else had a problem like this? Just bad luck? Expecting too much?

Last edited by 825ieaglelake; 10-24-2019 at 11:48 PM. Reason: Update For Gearbox Issue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-10-2019, 01:53 AM

Garage
Gator Gear Box Problems

Welcome to the forum!

This is the first time I have read about gearboxes catching or causing a fire.

To me it sounds like the Tow Truck driver is full of beans....

On edit: Check with Power Sports Nation in Norfolk Nebraska they are a large used part warehouse for UTVS, if you are looking for used parts.

2012 Gator 825i (new engine at 1700 hours) Power Steering-Sport Exhaust- Deluxe Cab-Heater- Work Lights On Top Front And Rear- Hella HID Driving Lights-Warn ProVantage 4500 synthetic winch-Electric Dump- Gillmore Seat Covers

Last edited by Bradhill; 10-10-2019 at 02:13 AM.
post #3 of 11 Old 10-10-2019, 06:30 AM

New to me as a mechanic, i call bullsh$t
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 10-10-2019, 08:01 AM

Sounds like it is time for a new one. Perhaps you can sell some of the salvageable parts to recoup a few dollars.

Curious on what your thoughts are that caused the gear box to become overheated enough to create a thermal event.

File an incident with NHTSA and with your state consumer protection office. They normally take items catching on fire seriously. I'd also pen a letter to JD. Hope you have the tow truck drivers name. They might want to interview him, since he has witnessed this 2 other times.

Other 825i owners may want to carry one of these just to be safe. https://elementfire.com/

2012 JD855D OPS Black Poly Roof, Deluxe Cargo Box, Front and Rear Protection, Power Lift, Front Hood Rack, Rear Screen (homemade), 800 Watt Inverter, 2500lb Winch installed in cargo bed, Front and Rear LED auxiliary lighting (4" square 27 watt), Front and Rear CV Guards, Koplin Side Mirrors
post #5 of 11 Old 10-10-2019, 10:33 AM

So i had a look for a second because even though we dont sell the 825 in our country most gearboxes are the same.

And as far as i can see this is the same gearbox as on the hpx and tx.
We have a customer with a fleet of these that carry 1000 litres of water, a fan extra engine piping etc totalling around 1100+ kg of extra weight.

Ive never seen the gears break except for when they put thicker oil in or stupid stuff like that.
These guys dont even clean there machines so theres an inch of grease on them normally.

In fact the axles and the frame break before the gear.
You can give shit for john deere for many things but this isnt one.
I really do think that theres a secondary cause for this problem.

And yes carrying a fire extinguisher is a must when you go offroad, not only to protect your machine but also the enviroment
post #6 of 11 Old 10-10-2019, 12:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 200mph View Post
Sounds like it is time for a new one. Perhaps you can sell some of the salvageable parts to recoup a few dollars.

Curious on what your thoughts are that caused the gear box to become overheated enough to create a thermal event.

File an incident with NHTSA and with your state consumer protection office. They normally take items catching on fire seriously. I'd also pen a letter to JD. Hope you have the tow truck drivers name. They might want to interview him, since he has witnessed this 2 other times.

Other 825i owners may want to carry one of these just to be safe. https://elementfire.com/

Thanks for the information on Element Products. I just ordered the E50 model.

2012 Gator 825i (new engine at 1700 hours) Power Steering-Sport Exhaust- Deluxe Cab-Heater- Work Lights On Top Front And Rear- Hella HID Driving Lights-Warn ProVantage 4500 synthetic winch-Electric Dump- Gillmore Seat Covers
post #7 of 11 Old 10-10-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradhill View Post
Thanks for the information on Element Products. I just ordered the E50 model.
Good deal.

I found them to be an interesting product compared to conventional fire extinguishers. Hopefully you'll never need to use it.

I'm guessing the OP is confusing the gear box with the clutch/belt system. Perhaps the belt was slipping excessively, overheated and caught fire.

2012 JD855D OPS Black Poly Roof, Deluxe Cargo Box, Front and Rear Protection, Power Lift, Front Hood Rack, Rear Screen (homemade), 800 Watt Inverter, 2500lb Winch installed in cargo bed, Front and Rear LED auxiliary lighting (4" square 27 watt), Front and Rear CV Guards, Koplin Side Mirrors
post #8 of 11 Old 10-24-2019, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

Gear Box Problems Update

I got my Gator into a mechanic, turns out the Driveshaft broke, nothing with the gearbox. $850.00 repair. It seems strange that a lightly used gator 852I would have a driveshaft break. Anyone else has this issue? Any ideas what caused this? It's 7 years old machine. Just bad luck I guess. Not overly impressed with the quality thought this was a better machine.
post #9 of 11 Old 10-25-2019, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 825ieaglelake View Post
I got my Gator into a mechanic, turns out the Driveshaft broke, nothing with the gearbox. $850.00 repair. It seems strange that a lightly used gator 852I would have a driveshaft break. Anyone else has this issue? Any ideas what caused this? It's 7 years old machine. Just bad luck I guess. Not overly impressed with the quality thought this was a better machine.
As said before ive never heard about any complaints that even come close to this.

And when it comes to the driveshafts they have been pretty indestructable and if anything simply have play at the end of their lifetime.
I can only remember one shaft that actually broke and that was on a really heavy duty machine that has been beaten to hell and back

Other than that we see a lot of cv boots that wear and when the grease runs out the axle will wear.
On a properly maintained and lightly used gator its pretty unlikely for them to break.
Even more so i have had polaris and kawasakis on the lift and have been pretty unimpressed on the quality of the driveshafts, a arms and frames.
Ive seen a mule with normal use sag through the a arms because its made of pispot metal and most polaris's tend to strip the axle splines on the front dif.
Even the rzr has thin front axles compared to what you see on some gators.

We had a new guy once that asked, why youd buy a deere instead of kawa and polaris.
I walked him to the 855d and showed him the a-arms in the rear.. thats why

With all of that in mind, its bad luck or bad conditions

Last edited by טים ירושלמי; 10-25-2019 at 02:59 AM.
post #10 of 11 Old 11-08-2019, 05:01 AM Thread Starter

The mechanic did mention the worn CV boot, he speculated grease probably leaked and caught fire, which would explain the smoke and fire that my friend claimed was dripping from vehicle. Found out my friends tried to tow it after the fire and that's when the driveshaft broke. Mechanic sais that the axel was probably worn before. Regardless could I have done something about a worn CV boot? Is this is a maintenance item, I neglected? Never saw any drips on the garage floor. Any input welcome. Thanks!
post #11 of 11 Old 11-08-2019, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 825ieaglelake View Post
The mechanic did mention the worn CV boot, he speculated grease probably leaked and caught fire, which would explain the smoke and fire that my friend claimed was dripping from vehicle. Found out my friends tried to tow it after the fire and that's when the driveshaft broke. Mechanic sais that the axel was probably worn before. Regardless could I have done something about a worn CV boot? Is this is a maintenance item, I neglected? Never saw any drips on the garage floor. Any input welcome. Thanks!
A worn cv boot is a maintenance item in that its part of every service to inspect:

Rear and front boots
Axles
Rear and front bearing
Brakes
Balljoints front
Play in steering.

They will show little cracks or tears on the inside of the bellows first.
If so time to replace them.
I sometimes also see pieces of rope string or metal wire that cut into them aswell.

Also, they should not drip because they hold grease, not oil
The fact that it dripped just means it got really hot

Lower Navigation
Go Back   John Deere Gator Forums > John Deere Gator General Discussion > Gator General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the John Deere Gator Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode