Clutch question - John Deere Gator Forums
Gator General Discussion If you need to talk about the John Deere Gator XUV/SXS/UTV and it does not fit into a more specific section down below, post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 10-28-2019, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Clutch question

What is the difference between the clutch buttons? Brown vs. Grey? Both are just wear items, are the materials different? Does one wear quicker than the other? I snapped off 2 of the new brown ones while changing them yesterday and since the greys had no wear, I installed the new grey ones in their stead. Just wondering if I need to get a new set ordered and tear it back down right away or just keep an eye on them for wear and change them out for the correct ones down the road when necessary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-29-2019, 11:26 AM

I believe the difference is the composition of materials.

Once upon a time comet also used to make varios with just the black set and not the beige.
They changed this because if you have backlash its metal on metal.

I would order a new set if it was me but you dont have to run to the store right now
Maybe ask your local jd if they happen to have 2 black buttons.
Even i broke one when i installed them on a machine today and we do have a semi complete sets now and then

Also, installing these is a pita if you dont know exactly where to put pressure.
We install them with the vario still attached to the machine though

Last edited by טים ירושלמי; 10-29-2019 at 11:30 AM.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-29-2019, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Thank you Sir
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 10-29-2019, 12:55 PM

Also just to add, iam not an expert in plastics but my experience is that the black one is harder and snaps easier with a clear "tick"
The beige tends to be more flexible
post #5 of 7 Old 10-29-2019, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

That was kind of my guess as I had no issues with the grey ones, they must be somewhat softer and more flexible. I will keep a close eye on them and get a set ordered soon.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-31-2019, 10:42 AM

@KsNewss I was curious of the same question "What is the difference between these clutch buttons" last year. I changed out a set of buttons last year on a 2007 TX gator and a black one broke on installation so I used a new tan one instead that I had. This machine has over 2200 hours on the original secondary clutch so I figured lets see what happens. I did not remove the secondary clutch from the machine to replace the buttons. The toughest part for me on these buttons is if the old ones don't come out and the plastic breaks off. I just used a punch and tapped it into the clutch itself.

After 122 hours of use I can see that the black buttons are very slightly more worn than the one tan one. I don't feel it effects it and with the age of my secondary clutch I will just keep going. All three guides rest against the cam. I can not tell if the cam is more worn on the tan one than the black one. Like I said it has over 2k hours on it.

Last edited by Sean2202; 10-31-2019 at 10:48 AM.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-31-2019, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info Sean, I really appreciate it. I will check mine periodically, but with that info I am not going to get excited about replacing them.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   John Deere Gator Forums > John Deere Gator General Discussion > Gator General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the John Deere Gator Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode