825i RPMs to get moving - John Deere Gator Forums
Gator General Discussion If you need to talk about the John Deere Gator XUV/SXS/UTV and it does not fit into a more specific section down below, post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 11-01-2019, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

825i RPMs to get moving

I just purchased a 2015 825i with 145 hours on it. I am replacing a Polaris Ranger that we have had since it was new in 2013. The only reason I am switching from the Ranger is I plow 3 large driveways and the 825i has a deluxe cab with poly doors and a heater and the Ranger only has a roof, windshield and a winch lift plow. The 825 also has the Powertach hydraulic plow. It's a big upgrade. My question is what is normal RPMs to get this thing rolling? It's taking about 3800 rpms to get it to 5mph in high and then I can bring it back to about 3400 to speed up to 7-10mph. After that is seems about right to me. My Ranger gets moving pretty easily and doesn't take anywhere near that to get up to speed. Does this sound like a worn out belt? I was reading through the forum and most folks seem to get a lot more life out of their drive belts. I've never driven any JD's other than an old CX we still have so I wouldn't know if this is normal or not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gator.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	3.75 MB
ID:	12205  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-02-2019, 12:57 AM

We dont sell the 825i here so i can not tell you.
I would advise to maybe service it anyway.

While i dont think its the belt i would probably service any used machine i'd buy unless i know its been serviced recently and comes with the receipt.

Doing this will greatly reduce the risk of problems that come with inproper care by the previous owner.

That being said keep in mind that most gators are set up to deliver the most power down low.
Now if the rpm fluctuates alot during operation means that there is a (minor) issue as the cvt is designed to keep the rpm mostly the same in the best peak torque range

Last edited by טים ירושלמי; 11-02-2019 at 01:00 AM.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-02-2019, 07:15 AM

Welcome to the Forum and congrats on the purchase !! At my age, if it's cold enough to need an enclosed cab, I just forget about going anywhere !! That being said, I've always been amazed by the high revs of my 825. I can go down my driveway and it's common to see high 3's on the tach while going all of 4-5 mph !! I've always assumed it was due to a 3 cyl. motor needing higher revs to take some stress off the drive train. In any event, it's normal from where I sit but the service suggestion comes from someone who knows. Good luck and enjoy the new piece of equipment. Craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 11-02-2019, 08:10 AM

Well the service suggestion is from what i know on private machines.
but on vehicles in the shop we do also asses mainly by the air filter.
Over here we have alot of dust so any dusty air filter is a clear indication that a service is needed.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-02-2019, 09:05 AM

My 825i runs very high RPMs. I live in hilly country and have to use low range 99% of the time, so it's not unusual to being showing just under 4000 RPMs for going seven or eight MPH.

Last edited by captaineddie; 11-02-2019 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Misspelled word
post #6 of 9 Old 11-07-2019, 10:15 PM

The 825 is a much different beast than most side by sides when it comes to engine speed. Most side by sides have engines designed for outdoor power equipment which make their torque at a low RPM range. The 825 uses a small automotive engine that spins to relatively high rpm to reach its torque band plus it has three cylinders firing rather than one or two. This makes it sound like its screaming. In my experience there are a few people that just find it impossible to get used to. There are a few things that can be done to bring the rpm down some without allowing it to fall off the power band, but their effectiveness in squelching noise is limited. Ive seen people that absolutely believe that there is something wrong with the machine that is making it so noisy.

These are good machines, just different, requiring getting used to.

Hope this helps.

Doc the Clutch Man

Gator 825i
post #7 of 9 Old 11-08-2019, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBDiagMan View Post
The 825 is a much different beast than most side by sides when it comes to engine speed. Most side by sides have engines designed for outdoor power equipment which make their torque at a low RPM range. The 825 uses a small automotive engine that spins to relatively high rpm to reach its torque band plus it has three cylinders firing rather than one or two. This makes it sound like its screaming. In my experience there are a few people that just find it impossible to get used to. There are a few things that can be done to bring the rpm down some without allowing it to fall off the power band, but their effectiveness in squelching noise is limited. Ive seen people that absolutely believe that there is something wrong with the machine that is making it so noisy.

These are good machines, just different, requiring getting used to.

Hope this helps.
That's great information. Thanks for the explanation. The more I use it, the more I like it. We're in the grips of an attic blast here right now and I may actually be plowing with it early next week.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk
post #8 of 9 Old Yesterday, 01:25 PM

i also appreciate the RPM explanation. I operate a 625i on woods roads and the high rpm/engine noise/exhaust noise has always been a major issue...you need to shout to speak with your passenger! The machine performs reasonably well but i for one have not gotten used to the ambient noise level that is significantly higher than my old Kawasaki mule that had a similar size engine.

625I: black & olive, roof, full windshield,front cargo rack, floor mats, Koplin tool grips, front cv guards, mid-range front lights, cargo bed protectors,
post #9 of 9 Old Today, 06:11 AM

The 625i is noticeably more noisy than the 825i. Even more so when you put a cab on them.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   John Deere Gator Forums > John Deere Gator General Discussion > Gator General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the John Deere Gator Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode