4x2 won't start. Help ! - John Deere Gator Forums
Gator General Discussion If you need to talk about the John Deere Gator XUV/SXS/UTV and it does not fit into a more specific section down below, post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 11-05-2019, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

4x2 won't start. Help !

Yesterday my 10 year old 4x2 puttered to a stop. I have been unable to get it to fire since and would like some suggestions as to what I forgot to try.

Here's what I've done:
New gas
New spark plug- tested okay with spark tester
New air filter
New gas filter
New gas pump
New gas line

And I disconnected fuel line out of new gas pump and indeed gas is flowing out of it when I crank it.

So I am mystified. Always been taught you need fire/spark, gas, and air. For sure I have spark. I have gas flowing out of gas pump. And I tried starting it with air filter off so doesn't seem like its an air issue.

Still it turns over fine, but no firing (maybe just a tiny bit at initial crank).

I would really appreciate suggestions as to what else to try. I am fearful ($$$) that it may be a carbeurator issue, since I sure don't know what else it could be.

Many thanks from this Newbie ex-electrical enjuneer who don't know nuthin' about carbs or birthin babies.

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-06-2019, 01:40 PM

Garage
Put a few drops of gas down the carburetor and see if it momentarily fires. If it does, then it's likely a clogged nozzle which you can soak in carb cleaner and blow it out with air. Make sure you actually get spark by pulling the plugs, grounding them, and looking at the spark if you crank it over. If no spark, then it's likely a coil/magneto thing.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-06-2019, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks ! I squirted some carb cleaner into the carb and it fired up and runs now ! I'm sure, now that I know the problem, that the carb is in need of a cleaning. But at least everything else has been eliminated !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 11-07-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Thanks ! I squirted some carb cleaner into the carb and it fired up and runs now ! I'm sure, now that I know the problem, that the carb is in need of a cleaning. But at least everything else has been eliminated !
If you can, clean the carb first and if that works see if you can get a rebuild kit afterwards.
Best maintenance is preventative maintenance in my eyes.
Most times when these carbs get dirty its time to service it if money and time allows it.

And if it does not run properly afterwards get a new carb.

Also, check your valve clearance at the same time if its been a while because the best way to see if its running good is with freshly adjusted valves.

Just worked on a kawasaki fe290d engine and valve clearance should be .004 in .006 ex

Lower Navigation
Go Back   John Deere Gator Forums > John Deere Gator General Discussion > Gator General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the John Deere Gator Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode