Linear actuator (dumper) repair - John Deere Gator Forums
Gator General Discussion If you need to talk about the John Deere Gator XUV/SXS/UTV and it does not fit into a more specific section down below, post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 11-05-2019, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Linear actuator (dumper) repair

My 4x2 Gator has a solenoid (I think they're called a linear actuator) power lift that moves the dumper bed up and down to empty it. It quit dumping recently and I am in the dumps.

Motor still turns which is encouraging since a new one is ridiculously expensive and I learned today that JD sells all the replacement parts for the actuator. So I took it apart today and all the gears, including the worm gear, appear to be in great shape.

What I discovered, which explains why the motor runs but the worm gear doesn't turn (and thus no linear motion of the shaft or dumping) is that the little piece of metal on the shaft (called a "shaft pin" or "shaft key" I believe) was sheared off. JD provides the shaft pin as part of a rebuild kit that includes a bunch of other stuff I don't need (other gears, motor, gasket) that is expen$ive.

I know this "shaft pin" is 3/32 x 3/8. So, three questions:

(1) Where can I find a replacement shaft pin that would work, and

(2) How do you remove the part of the shaft pin that remains in the shaft's slot and wasn't
sheared off, and

(3) How do you reassemble the shaft ? If I get the shaft pin remnant out, and get the replacement pin in, do you just rotate the shaft as you are inserting it until you feel it drop down a little (presuming it has then found the slot it is supposed to go in in the gear's bore) ?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-05-2019, 11:25 PM

We could do with some pictures because shaft pin can mean a plethora of things.
In my mind iam thinking about a pin that goes through the shaft to hold the gear?

Edit: But reading over over it again you talk about a slot and key and a key can just be gently hammered out
And if you would order pn#h64376 you get this:
Linear actuator (dumper) repair-h64376-1-_1573014922901.jpeg
12 inch long keystock 3/8

Another edit: stupid mistake but youd probably want 3/32 key 3/8 long so if you order 3/32 keystock you can cut it from that.
I do not think jd has 3/32 keystock so amazon is your best bet

Last edited by טים ירושלמי; 11-05-2019 at 11:49 PM.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-06-2019, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for reply.

Guess I should have mentioned in my post that the shaft key is shaped as a semicircle (I think sometimes called a "Moon" key for obvious reasons). I don't have any pictures because the sheared off piece is gone, and all that is left is the groove in the shaft filled by the remaining part of the key that wasn't sheared off.

Actually JD has the <exact> replacement shaft key, but as I noted it is part of their rebuild kit which includes the motor (and mine is working fine), and a bunch of other stuff, make just the replacement key (all I need) VERY expensive !

I was wondering what the 3/32 x 3/8 dimension meant, and concluded that the 3/8 is the diameter or width of the key. I was uncertain about what the 3/32 was but then concluded that must mean the thickness of the key, right ? I guess when I can hammer the remainder of the key out I can mic it to confirm..

I guess per your suggestion if I can't find the exact key I can grind one from key stock, although a hassle...

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 11-06-2019, 08:17 AM

I agree with post number 2 that pictures would go a long way in deciphering what you're looking for.

Since you called it a moon key, I'll assume you're looking for a Woodruff Key.

Is this what you're looking for?

https://www.harborfreight.com/80-pie...SABEgKc9_D_BwE

If so, Fastenal has them.
https://www.fastenal.com/product/Woo...&query=woodruf

Last edited by 200mph; 11-06-2019 at 08:22 AM.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-06-2019, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Fastenal indeed had a Woodruf key close enough that I think it will work. And what I thought might be the biggest problem, getting what remained of the stripped key out of the key/shaft key groove, turned out not to be. With a little penetrating oil, thankfully I was able to chisel it out of the groove a little and grab it with long nose and it pulled out ! If all goes well I'll be able to align the shaft having the new key into the motor slot and will have just saved a $200 new linear actuator with a 22 cent part and gotten my dumping feature back in my 4x2...

Thanks again.

Bob
post #6 of 7 Old 11-07-2019, 08:44 AM

Awesome! Sounds like your bed will be functional in the near future.

Perhaps post which key you bought. Someone in the future may experience the same problem.

2012 JD855D OPS Black Poly Roof, Deluxe Cargo Box, Front and Rear Protection, Power Lift, Front Hood Rack, Rear Screen (homemade), 800 Watt Inverter, 2500lb Winch installed in cargo bed, Front and Rear LED auxiliary lighting (4" square 27 watt), Front and Rear CV Guards, Koplin Side Mirrors
post #7 of 7 Old 11-07-2019, 07:12 PM

Almost any hardware store will have it

Lower Navigation
Go Back   John Deere Gator Forums > John Deere Gator General Discussion > Gator General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the John Deere Gator Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode