Trail Gator new to me- Should it freewheel in neutral, push it off my trailer? - John Deere Gator Forums
Gator General Discussion If you need to talk about the John Deere Gator XUV/SXS/UTV and it does not fit into a more specific section down below, post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 11-08-2019, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Trail Gator new to me- Should it freewheel in neutral, push it off my trailer?

Real new first ownership on a 01-02 Trail Gator. Four of us pushed it onto the trailer, but I/we were in a hurry to buy it and the seller knew nothing about it. Need to get it off trailer, and it appears as E-Brake is off and in neutral.

I dont want to get my tractor or skid steer out to pull it off.

I look forward to everyones help, and this resource. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-08-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Varano View Post
Real new first ownership on a 01-02 Trail Gator. Four of us pushed it onto the trailer, but I/we were in a hurry to buy it and the seller knew nothing about it. Need to get it off trailer, and it appears as E-Brake is off and in neutral.

I dont want to get my tractor or skid steer out to pull it off.

I look forward to everyones help, and this resource. thanks
It should freewheel, and these should be light to push aswell.
If it doesnt go smooth theres an issue
post #3 of 8 Old 11-08-2019, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Ill run up a picture as I go.

It ran when they parked it- I love that one. Didn't catch when that was, I think in the last year. To me, it appears to be unmolested by any hammer mechanics, but then, I fully expect it hasn't gotten a ton of pmcs. Has the 290 engine. And an Air tank.....

I know nothing about CVT. I do have an ASV RC-30 and a Mitusbishi Diesel ag tractor, and I'v always had road and dirtbikes and mowers and OPE, so I know my way around some. Right now, I need to get it off the trailer and clean and degrease. Not a ton of grease and oil but some deposits of dirt mixed in the chassis. The lack of heavy oil/grease gives me hope.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 11-08-2019, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Glad you were on line, I lurked all day yesterday at work, knew you were senior.

So, What issue first?
post #5 of 8 Old 11-08-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Glad you were on line, I lurked all day yesterday at work, knew you were senior.

So, What issue first?
So whats the real issue here?
If it doesnt release its either the brakes froze up or the thing is not in gear.
Related to that last part ive seen bent handles that look like theyre in neutral while theyre actually in gear

Last edited by טים ירושלמי; 11-08-2019 at 10:18 AM.
post #6 of 8 Old 11-08-2019, 12:26 PM

Hey Gene, Anyone notice if all the tires were rotating when you loaded it on to the trailer? Try checking each wheel by jacking each corner to feel how each tire spins. Keep us posted..
post #7 of 8 Old 11-08-2019, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

got it running after a half day of cleaning it up. Thanks.

Going to start a new thread for my parts list. this topic wont help a guy looking for answers.
\
THANKS.
post #8 of 8 Old 11-09-2019, 12:08 AM

Quote:
got it running after a half day of cleaning it up. Thanks.

Going to start a new thread for my parts list. this topic wont help a guy looking for answers.
\
THANKS.
Well you didnt give us a lot to go on because there was no part where you said the symptoms.
Even a mechanic cant fix anything without knowing what a problem is, thats better left to god

Anyway now you did get it running theres a couple of things id do if you havent done so already.

Grease the front kingpins, running them dry will wear them out faster than the speed of light.
Check them for play too, theres 2 bushings in them and a shaft that can replaced easily if need be
Clean the carb.
Check and or Clean the gas tank
Adjust the valves while youre at it, easy enough to check.
Air filter change pn: m113621
Oil filter change pn: am107423
Fuel filter change (auto parts store)
It takes 10w40 a little over a quart if iam correct

Last edited by טים ירושלמי; 11-09-2019 at 12:17 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   John Deere Gator Forums > John Deere Gator General Discussion > Gator General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the John Deere Gator Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in