Mystery Oil Spot in Drive - John Deere Gator Forums
Gator General Discussion If you need to talk about the John Deere Gator XUV/SXS/UTV and it does not fit into a more specific section down below, post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 11-19-2019, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Mystery Oil Spot in Drive

A couple of days ago, I noticed something dripping on the driveway from the back rear of my TX (only has about 60 hours on it). I didn't worry about it because I had just driven through a ditch full of water and assumed it was water. Today, however, I noticed that the spot on my drive where I was parked appeared to be clean, clear oil. (Guesstimating, maybe a half a quart.) I checked the oil level in the gator and also the transaxle. Oil was fine, transaxle was a little low, but not much. I added about a cupful to bring it up to the mark. I crawled around underneath and everything looks fine - no oil residue anywhere, drain plugs are tight and clean. About the same time this happened, I noticed that one of the rear shocks started creaking when going over bumps. At the time, I thought it was just cold, but now I'm wondering if maybe the shocks are oil-filled and one lost its oil. (I didn't find any evidence of oil residue around or under either shock.) I've looked up shocks on the JD site, but can't find any mention of them being oil-filled. Does anybody know? Or does anyone have any other ideas of where the oil could have come from?

Last edited by 88goldwing; 11-19-2019 at 06:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-20-2019, 07:53 AM

The shocks are oil filled but sealed. I've rarely seen them leak unless the shaft gets damaged or bent. In that case the oil would seep past the seal when the shock is compressed, but not just sitting on the drive. The shock body itself would be oily, but not likely to lose enough to puddle on your driveway.
post #3 of 6 Old 11-20-2019, 10:38 AM

Garage
Perhaps you could place clean cardboard under the suspect area. Look for any new oil spots.

This could be a case of the dealership overfilling the oil when they set up the Gator for delivery? When you drove through the water, this could have “washed “ the overfill oil from the undercarriage? Just a thought

2012 Gator 825i (new engine at 1700 hours) Power Steering-Sport Exhaust- Deluxe Cab-Heater- Work Lights On Top Front And Rear- Hella HID Driving Lights-Warn ProVantage 4500 synthetic winch-Electric Dump- Gillmore Seat Covers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 11-20-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradhill View Post
Perhaps you could place clean cardboard under the suspect area. Look for any new oil spots.

This could be a case of the dealership overfilling the oil when they set up the Gator for delivery? When you drove through the water, this could have “washed “ the overfill oil from the undercarriage? Just a thought
Brad has a good idea. I know the first few times I changed oil and filter, I had the same "oil change spot" in my driveway until I realized that some drain oil had drifted onto the skid plate and if I didn't thread a rag under there and attempt to soak it up, it would drip out over the next few days - esp. when parked on a slant !! Craig
post #5 of 6 Old 11-20-2019, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the ideas. Actually this is a demo machine and had 47 hours on it when I got it. I had put about 15 additional hours on it when I noticed the oil spot. The JD sales guy told me that had changed the break-in oil - but not recently, so I doubt it was oil trapped on the skid plate (but, who knows?). I keep it parked in the garage and the garage floor has no oil spots.

Regarding the shocks, I thought that was a longshot, but it's odd that one of them is creaking pretty loudly. Even today, when temps made it up to 70F, it is still making a creaking noise when I get in/out and drive over bumps. It wasn't doing that at all just a few days ago.

Now another wrinkle. I also have a JD 1025r tractor. I filled it up with diesel on that day but I've been racking my brain trying to remember where I parked when I did that. Maybe, just maybe, the spot is diesel. I was very careful when I filled it, but there's always a little spillage during that process!
post #6 of 6 Old 11-20-2019, 11:23 PM

So many times ive seen oil spots and forgot what was parked in that spot.
Dont worry, if something really leaks youll know

Lower Navigation
Go Back   John Deere Gator Forums > John Deere Gator General Discussion > Gator General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the John Deere Gator Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode