Time frame to replace float valve? - John Deere Gator Forums
Gator General Discussion If you need to talk about the John Deere Gator XUV/SXS/UTV and it does not fit into a more specific section down below, post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 11-27-2019, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

Time frame to replace float valve?

Greetings,

I have a 2007 Gator TX with a Kawasaki FJ400D engine. This machine has about 2300 hours on it. It runs well overall. Recently when the guys were out with it they said that it had a large backfire like a shotgun and was spitting and sputtering. They said that it only backfired once. It recently had the oil changed, fuel filter and a new spark plug (NGKBPR2ES) within the last 10 hours. I checked the compression after they brought it in and was at 135psi. I topped off the oil as it was about 1/2. ( I don't think it was using / losing any just wasn't at the right spot after the oil change). The air filter seems good.
They have been out using it a few hours and have no complaints as of yet of it backfiring.

So here is my question. I know that B&S V-Twin engines will develop a wear spot around the float valve which will not seal properly letting gas into the engine when at rest. Is it possible at this amount of hours on this gator that a wear spot has developed on this carburetor which may have led to a backfire? I know these are completely different engines and completely different carburetors but I was just curious if anyone has ever seen this float valve wear with gators or other small Kawasaki engines in golf carts etc.

Thanks for any replies
Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-27-2019, 09:46 AM

2000 hours is usually the spot where wear items like these go bad.
The timeline on these usually goes:
0-2000 new machine
2000-4000 used machine
4000-6000 end is near

So yes you can sort of compare it with a car in that sense

Last edited by טים ירושלמי; 11-27-2019 at 09:51 AM.
post #3 of 3 Old Today, 06:29 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply and comparison on hours. That is good information to keep in mind. I have gone through many of the front ends on our machine as shocks bushings etc have started to wear. I have a few primary clutches that will need attention soon. What other "wear items" should I keep in mind?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   John Deere Gator Forums > John Deere Gator General Discussion > Gator General Discussion

Tags
backfire, carburetor, float valve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the John Deere Gator Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in