2007 6x4 Diesel block heater - John Deere Gator Forums
Gator General Discussion If you need to talk about the John Deere Gator XUV/SXS/UTV and it does not fit into a more specific section down below, post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 11-30-2019, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

2007 6x4 Diesel block heater

Hi all,

I searched for an answer on this but with no direct hit. with the overnight lows hitting low teens, I think its time to add a block heater. Even with a new battery the 'ol gator really stumbles when cold starting. The glow plugs are working but, overall, cold starts are nasty.

So, has anyone added a coolant heater to the 6x4? Did you do a frost plug heater or a in-line heater (and where did you add it)?

TIA,
JRH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-30-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrhill View Post
Hi all,

I searched for an answer on this but with no direct hit. with the overnight lows hitting low teens, I think its time to add a block heater. Even with a new battery the 'ol gator really stumbles when cold starting. The glow plugs are working but, overall, cold starts are nasty.

So, has anyone added a coolant heater to the 6x4? Did you do a frost plug heater or a in-line heater (and where did you add it)?

TIA,
JRH
Id say original is the way to go thats plug and play and in a good position on the block
The block heater kit runs at about 85 dollars and the adapter kit 90 dollars.
2007 6x4 Diesel block heater-screenshot_20191130-211408_chrome_1575141282074.jpg
AR87167 and AM882530 are what youre looking for #7 and #4 on the diagram

Also do check if you are going to order if its the right style plug, iam not in the u.s. so it could give me another plug style

And you could think of a thousand ways to heat the block instead and i could probably diy something myself for under 5 bucks if i needed but thats up to you

Last edited by טים ירושלמי; 11-30-2019 at 02:19 PM.
post #3 of 15 Old 11-30-2019, 03:18 PM

Garage
Be sure to check pricing online at Green Farm Parts and Green Parts Store.

2012 Gator 825i (new engine at 1700 hours) Power Steering-Sport Exhaust- Deluxe Cab-Heater- Work Lights On Top Front And Rear- Hella HID Driving Lights-Warn ProVantage 4500 synthetic winch-Electric Dump- Gillmore Seat Covers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 11-30-2019, 04:23 PM

Garage
If you go with the JD heater, it's not something you leave plugged in all the time. Get a timer to have it come on a couple hours before you'll fire it up. That way it will last more than a year.
post #5 of 15 Old 11-30-2019, 07:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSeabee View Post
If you go with the JD heater, it's not something you leave plugged in all the time. Get a timer to have it come on a couple hours before you'll fire it up. That way it will last more than a year.

Ditto...

2012 Gator 825i (new engine at 1700 hours) Power Steering-Sport Exhaust- Deluxe Cab-Heater- Work Lights On Top Front And Rear- Hella HID Driving Lights-Warn ProVantage 4500 synthetic winch-Electric Dump- Gillmore Seat Covers
post #6 of 15 Old 11-30-2019, 11:11 PM

Most likely 2 hours before you ususually use it would suffice, any more is just a waste of energy anywah
post #7 of 15 Old 12-01-2019, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks folks. Our power is via solar and there's no way I can leave a block heater on continuously. Esp this time of year when panels happen to be covered with snow. I'll look around a bit more.
post #8 of 15 Old 12-01-2019, 12:03 PM

Garage
Best of luck.. keep us updated on your progress

post #9 of 15 Old 12-01-2019, 12:58 PM

Garage
I recall those heaters running at 400 watts. You can work that into your calculations.
post #10 of 15 Old 12-01-2019, 01:20 PM

In that case Id look for a small heating element perhaps and put something inline simply to keep the cold out.
It wont preheat as much but atleast itll help the engine get up to temp quicker
If you can store it inside something or under a tent even that will help a little.

Other than that if you wish to use little or no power a real block heater is not an option

If id be in a pinch id even put a small electric heater in the engine bay before starting it.

You might also want to check if you can put in 5w30 oil in in the winter months.
5w30 can be used up to 86 degree outside temp as per john deere's recommendation.
Running a lower weight oil is always better in freezing temps

Last edited by טים ירושלמי; 12-01-2019 at 01:28 PM.
post #11 of 15 Old 12-02-2019, 05:25 AM

How do you know all of your glow plugs are working correctly? The start up conditions suggest they may not be 100%.

I’d verify each has the proper resistance and verify voltage during activation. I’ve seen a number of times where the wires will verify battery voltage without load but not be able to carry the necessary current to activate the GP properly. A voltage drop test can help pinpoint any weak termination points.

2012 JD855D OPS Black Poly Roof, Deluxe Cargo Box, Front and Rear Protection, Power Lift, Front Hood Rack, Rear Screen (homemade), 800 Watt Inverter, 2500lb Winch installed in cargo bed, Front and Rear LED auxiliary lighting (4" square 27 watt), Front and Rear CV Guards, Koplin Side Mirrors
post #12 of 15 Old 12-02-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200mph View Post
How do you know all of your glow plugs are working correctly? The start up conditions suggest they may not be 100%.

I’d verify each has the proper resistance and verify voltage during activation. I’ve seen a number of times where the wires will verify battery voltage without load but not be able to carry the necessary current to activate the GP properly. A voltage drop test can help pinpoint any weak termination points.
Just take em out and fire em up using jumper cables, when they work youll know quick enough
post #13 of 15 Old Yesterday, 11:37 AM

Garage
You might check these propane engine block heaters out.

http://www.engineblockheater.net/pro...-block-heater/

post #14 of 15 Old Today, 01:05 AM

Garage
Before I got into block heaters, I'd throw a tarp over the bed and run a Honda eu1000i on the ground with the exhaust blowing under the engine. That would warm things up in a hard freeze in a couple of hours. Then I had block heaters. Then I built a heated shop where everything is parked inside. Don't need the block heaters anymore, so they just are ornaments. Amazing how sheltered storage saves on Gators and tractor weathering.
post #15 of 15 Old Today, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Before I got into block heaters, I'd throw a tarp over the bed and run a Honda eu1000i on the ground with the exhaust blowing under the engine. That would warm things up in a hard freeze in a couple of hours. Then I had block heaters. Then I built a heated shop where everything is parked inside. Don't need the block heaters anymore, so they just are ornaments. Amazing how sheltered storage saves on Gators and tractor weathering.
In a previous place we had an outdoor boiler that heated the house, shop and two greenhouses. Dang I loved that unit but not the minimum 8 cords of hard wood it took to heat 7500 sq ft in the sandhills of Nebr. My current shop is a bigger metal pole barn with a high ceiling and virtually no insulation. Any heat put in there disappears quickly. So for my purposes a frost plug heater works the best for an hour or so and, we're in a warmer climate here.

BTW, I do have an AC/DC clamp on for my Fluke. Anyone know approx how many amps a properly functioning glow plug pulls on that Yanmar?

Best,
JRH

Lower Navigation
Go Back   John Deere Gator Forums > John Deere Gator General Discussion > Gator General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the John Deere Gator Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode