08 HPX Diesel Clutch Issue? - John Deere Gator Forums
Gator General Discussion If you need to talk about the John Deere Gator XUV/SXS/UTV and it does not fit into a more specific section down below, post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 01-07-2020, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

08 HPX Diesel Clutch Issue?

While going down a steep hill the gator sounds and runs great with the foot on the gas pedal however as soon as you release and the gator starts to coast down seemingly out of gear there is a loud squealing and burning smell. As soon as you push down the gas again it seems to re-engage in gear and everything goes back to normal...What is this? Sorry for the newbie question... I have fixed a lot on this unit but I haven't messed with the clutch yet... Any help is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-07-2020, 07:11 PM

The clutch should freewheel and thus act like it is in neutral, but the belt shouldn't be smoking or smell like it. It's likely the primary isn't opening up completely or belt spacing is off (not certain if this is possible thought).

If you're uncertain how the cvt works, I suggest you watch a few videos that show how they open and close. This will help your understanding and perhaps help in diagnosing what is wrong.

2012 JD855D OPS Black Poly Roof, Deluxe Cargo Box, Front and Rear Protection, Power Lift, Front Hood Rack, Rear Screen (homemade), 800 Watt Inverter, 2500lb Winch installed in cargo bed, Front and Rear LED auxiliary lighting (4" square 27 watt), Front and Rear CV Guards, Koplin Side Mirrors
post #3 of 6 Old 01-07-2020, 07:50 PM

When the drive or primary clutch gets below a certain RPM it will disengage allowing it to freewheel, by pressing the gas pedal this increases the RPM's allowing it to engage and hold you back sort of like an engine brake, using the brake in combination with the gas should keep it engaged, heard it called the Texas 2 step. As for the noise and smell, that's a tough one, could be the belt spinning faster then the primary is turning but they are usually not that tight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old Yesterday, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses! I will need to watch some videos on how the clutch works a bit more... I have been texas 2 steppin' it and that works fine but there is definitely something wrong as I shouldn't have to do that. Otherwise I have brought this thing back from dead and it runs great. Last item will be the clutch. Thanks again!
post #5 of 6 Old Yesterday, 02:56 AM Thread Starter

Looks like its a common and non fixable issue... the squeeling at least... not sure about the smell. I see a few discussions about it on another JD forum.

"No, you are not alone. The sound occurs when the Gator starts "free-wheeling": After x # of seconds with your foot off the gas, the engine braking is disabled and you start coasting - that's when you hear the squeal. It is an annoying sound, I agree. Some days like fingernails on the chalkboard. Cannot understand why that "feature" was included. If there was a way to disable it, I would do it in a heartbeat. My property is sloped, so when I don't want to hear the free-wheel squeal, I put in low range and just keep a slight pressure on the gas to force the engine braking."
post #6 of 6 Old Today, 04:44 PM

If you want engine braking you'll either have to do the 2 step or buy a different clutch setup which I'm not sure you can with a gator.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   John Deere Gator Forums > John Deere Gator General Discussion > Gator General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the John Deere Gator Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode