825i Constantly Jumps Out Of Gear - John Deere Gator Forums
Gator General Discussion If you need to talk about the John Deere Gator XUV/SXS/UTV and it does not fit into a more specific section down below, post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 Old 02-25-2016, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

825i Constantly Jumps Out Of Gear

I have a Deere 825i that consistently jumps out of gear. I eliminated linkage as the problem by disconnecting it, and manually selecting each gear to the detent position. Low and reverse hold fine. High jumps out with anything more than the slightest amount of acceleration or the smallest amount of incline.

I'm pulling the transmission, but still waiting for my service manual to arrive. What's the trick to removing the inner secondary clutch sheave?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 02-25-2016, 12:29 PM

Garage
The service manual will have very little on clutches- It sounds like your primary needs to be re-worked. If you are removing the spider you will need specialized tools. 3/4 drive breaker bar and torque wrench- spider nut socket- clutch holding fixture- large bench vise ( must hold clutch fixture tool and up to 300 ftlbs of torque) See attachments.

If you don't have these tools - it would be far less expensive to look at the Handfitted clutches by MBDiagMan . He does an excellent job of Re-working clutches. Perhaps he could re-work yours?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Handfitted-G...gAAOSwzhVWrULA

On Edit: I didnt understand or read the original post correctly-- sounds more than the clutch...good luck

2012 Gator 825i (new engine at 1700 hours) Power Steering-Sport Exhaust- Deluxe Cab-Heater- Work Lights On Top Front And Rear- Hella HID Driving Lights-Warn ProVantage 4500 synthetic winch-Electric Dump- Gillmore Seat Covers

Last edited by Bradhill; 06-26-2017 at 11:56 AM.
post #3 of 37 Old 02-26-2016, 06:49 AM

If you said you had trouble shifting I would consider the primary clutch as a problem but it has nothing to do with your transmission staying in gear or popping out of gear under load. You will want to remove the secondary/driven clutch to get at your transmission. Luckily it can usually be removed without a clutch removal tool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 Old 02-26-2016, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, it's not an issue with the primary or secondary clutch, however I need to pull both to pull the transmission. What's the trick to removing the inside half of the secondary? Mine seems to be pretty tight on the shaft.
post #5 of 37 Old 02-26-2016, 11:30 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by paoutdoorsman View Post
Yeah, it's not an issue with the primary or secondary clutch, however I need to pull both to pull the transmission. What's the trick to removing the inside half of the secondary? Mine seems to be pretty tight on the shaft.
Have you tried any of the freeze off products? I have used dry ice - on other applications with amazing results...

2012 Gator 825i (new engine at 1700 hours) Power Steering-Sport Exhaust- Deluxe Cab-Heater- Work Lights On Top Front And Rear- Hella HID Driving Lights-Warn ProVantage 4500 synthetic winch-Electric Dump- Gillmore Seat Covers
post #6 of 37 Old 02-26-2016, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradhill View Post
Quote:
Have you tried any of the freeze off products? I have used dry ice - on other applications with amazing results...
I haven't since I wasn't sure how it was supposed to come off. Is it supposed to just slide off once the bolt is removed? That is what I'm familiar with for most secondary clutches on snowmobiles and ATV's.
post #7 of 37 Old 02-26-2016, 02:56 PM

Garage
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradhill View Post
Quote:
I haven't since I wasn't sure how it was supposed to come off. Is it supposed to just slide off once the bolt is removed? That is what I'm familiar with for most secondary clutches on snowmobiles and ATV's.
I have seen a secondary clutch removal tools advertised on EPI's website for older Polaris's- but I didn't think you needed one for a 825i

post #8 of 37 Old 02-26-2016, 05:49 PM

If it's a pre-600000 serial number 825 with original clutch, you can fashion a primary puller with a 9/16"-18 bolt and a rod or cut off bolt for a shank to transfer the force front heed of the bolt others ofthe crankshaft. Make sure the bolt engages as many threads as possible and lubricate the threads.

If it is a late especial number, you will need to buy the puller,because it is a very fine thread and you really need to be sure you don't strip it.

Hope this helps.

Doc the Clutch Man

Gator 825i
post #9 of 37 Old 02-26-2016, 08:08 PM

paoutdoorsman,

Not certain if this will help or not, but here's what is in the repair manual. (see attachment)

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shift Linkage Diagnosis.jpg
Views:	825
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	1953  

2012 JD855D OPS Black Poly Roof, Deluxe Cargo Box, Front and Rear Protection, Power Lift, Front Hood Rack, Rear Screen (homemade), 800 Watt Inverter, 2500lb Winch installed in cargo bed, Front and Rear LED auxiliary lighting (4" square 27 watt), Front and Rear CV Guards, Koplin Side Mirrors
post #10 of 37 Old 02-28-2016, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

For anyone following or finding this later... the service manual came, and I confirmed the secondary clutch just slides off the shaft. Turns out it was only mildly tight and light pressure behind it with a pry bar easily removed it.

My primary clutch puller did not arrive yet, but I was able to pull the trans with the primary still in place. Pulled it apart and found the failed shift collar and mating high range gear. You can see evidence of the wear caused each time it jumped out of gear and ground to a halt.

post #11 of 37 Old 02-28-2016, 10:27 AM

Garage
Thanks PA - it looks like you have made some progress - Awesome reference -

post #12 of 37 Old 02-28-2016, 01:21 PM

I hope the damaged pieces are available individually.

2012 JD855D OPS Black Poly Roof, Deluxe Cargo Box, Front and Rear Protection, Power Lift, Front Hood Rack, Rear Screen (homemade), 800 Watt Inverter, 2500lb Winch installed in cargo bed, Front and Rear LED auxiliary lighting (4" square 27 watt), Front and Rear CV Guards, Koplin Side Mirrors
post #13 of 37 Old 02-28-2016, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Yes, all internal parts are available.
post #14 of 37 Old 02-29-2016, 07:03 AM

Have you ordered your parts yet?
post #15 of 37 Old 02-29-2016, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthers20 View Post
Have you ordered your parts yet?
Going to today.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   John Deere Gator Forums > John Deere Gator General Discussion > Gator General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the John Deere Gator Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode