Gator 550 will not shift out of reverse - John Deere Gator Forums
Gator General Discussion If you need to talk about the John Deere Gator XUV/SXS/UTV and it does not fit into a more specific section down below, post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 67 Old 03-05-2013, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Angry Gator 550 will not shift out of reverse

I have a new Gator 550. I am having difficulty shifting out of reverse. I have had the Gator service by the dealer under warranty twice. Both times they have returned it with the same problem.

I have found that it will come out of reverse if you are still rolling backwards. However, this is not always possible.

Has anyone else had this same issue? I'm getting tired of the gator being in the shop.

Thanks, Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 Old 03-06-2013, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Batman Send a message via Yahoo to Batman
I have not had any issues out of our 550 S4. It sounds like to me a linkage adjustment. I hate to hear this, but is there another dealer close you can take it to???

BTW......Welcome to the forum!!!!!

John Deere RSX 850i Sport Green & Yellow - Factory Roof, Non-Scratch Tilt out Windshield, Rear Shield, Stereo, Stock wheels and Tires for trails, 29.5 Highlifter Outlaw 2s for home.

2012 Polaris RZR XP 900 - UTV, Inc. Front Windshield, Trailing Arm Guards and A Arm Guards, Go Pro Mounts, Doors, Nuke Cage, and Custom Grill, Rubber Down Customs 2.5" Adjustable Lift

Check out my build thread...............https://www.gatorforums.net/forum/gat...8-bat-rsx.html
post #3 of 67 Old 03-07-2013, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

stuck in reverse

the dealer has adjusted the cables (twice). I really do not feel that it is a cable issue.

If you are still rolling in reverse it will then shift out of reverse. However, if you come to a complete stop, you are stuck in reverse gear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 67 Old 03-07-2013, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

Hopefully someone else will chime in on this. I wonder if the clutch is fully releasing from hold the belt and that is what is not letting it not shift???? Let me ask my friend who is a deere tech.

John Deere RSX 850i Sport Green & Yellow - Factory Roof, Non-Scratch Tilt out Windshield, Rear Shield, Stereo, Stock wheels and Tires for trails, 29.5 Highlifter Outlaw 2s for home.

2012 Polaris RZR XP 900 - UTV, Inc. Front Windshield, Trailing Arm Guards and A Arm Guards, Go Pro Mounts, Doors, Nuke Cage, and Custom Grill, Rubber Down Customs 2.5" Adjustable Lift

Check out my build thread...............https://www.gatorforums.net/forum/gat...8-bat-rsx.html
post #5 of 67 Old 03-26-2013, 08:55 PM

I can tell you its an adjustment issue....It happened with me in 4 wheel drive....Just click the button to 2 wheel drive ...back up another ten feet or so,,,put a stick under the wheels and rock the tire back and forth...problem is fixed,,,just a Minor adjustment if you can play with it enough
post #6 of 67 Old 03-29-2013, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred View Post
I can tell you its an adjustment issue....It happened with me in 4 wheel drive....Just click the button to 2 wheel drive ...back up another ten feet or so,,,put a stick under the wheels and rock the tire back and forth...problem is fixed,,,just a Minor adjustment if you can play with it enough
Interesting fix. I will have to keep that in mind.

post #7 of 67 Old 04-19-2013, 10:37 PM

I have a little problem with my 550 shifting between forward and reverse. Doesn't happen all the time, just every once in a while. I have assumed it was something in the way I was using it. Sometimes, I shut off the engine and it shifts fine. I suppose that could mean something in how the clutch is not releasing completely.
post #8 of 67 Old 07-24-2013, 11:47 AM

46Willys Shifing problem. I found this on the John Deere site under forums.

The difficulty shifting is well known. It's a problem with the drive clutch
sticking and not fully releasing. JD has a revised clutch to help address
the problem. I mentioned it to my dealer and they had me bring it in. A
couple days later I had my Gator back with a new drive/primary clutch for no
charge.
I notified my dealer. He has already replaced the secondary clutch and it's working fine as of now. After talking with my dealer he informed that he knew about this and has already replaced the drive/primary clutch when it was in the shop.. I'll let you know how it works out.

Last edited by vanderrt; 07-24-2013 at 12:52 PM.
post #9 of 67 Old 07-25-2013, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the message. I would be very interested to see if this resolves your problem. I'm skeptical that the clutch applying pressure to the transmission gears is actually the problem. If that was the case I should be able to shift out a reverse my first stopping the engine. My engine can be off and I am still not able to get out of reverse. I can also rock the gator back and forth and still not be able to shift out of reverse. Doing all of this should relieve any binding pressure on the gears.

Please drop me a new message if you were fix works.
post #10 of 67 Old 07-25-2013, 12:34 PM

In my case when I shut off the engine it would shift without a problem. In your case it sounds like a linkage problem. I was also told that on some of the 550s the John Deere factory forgot to tighten bolts on the shift lever linkage. I would hope the dealer checked that out. Just curious have you tried disconnecting the link cables at the transmission and then try to shift it at the transmission? That would tell you if it is really a linkage problem. Just because they ajusted the link cables doesn't mean that isn't the problem. I'm an IT Tech and I hate when people fix a PC an do not test it properly. If you are still having a problem obviously they did not test it. They got it to move from REV to FWD once or twice and it's fixed. I hate that. Drive it go to REV and FWD move it move forward a few feet then shift to reverse move back a few feet. Repeat it 20 or 30 times then tell me you tested it and it's fixed!!!! I hope dealer gets this fixed. $11000+ sitting in your garage or driveway and your afraid to use it is CRAZY!!!!!

Last edited by vanderrt; 07-25-2013 at 01:12 PM.
post #11 of 67 Old 07-26-2013, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

John Deere not standing behind their product

I just had a lengthy discussion with John Deere service department. They can offer no help whatsoever. They continually direct me to the dealer. The dealer has been excellent, they have picked up and delivered my gator free but they have not been able to receive any solution from John Deere.

So I am caught in the middle, with both pointing fingers at the other. I am very disappointed in John Deere. They have a problem and they are aware of it. They need to respond to their customers by extending the warranty and promising to find a solution. Sadly they are not raising their heads to this level. In fact, they are burying their heads in sand and hoping that I will go away.

Joe Parrish
post #12 of 67 Old 07-27-2013, 08:20 PM

Sorry man I hate to hear that...John Deere should step up to the plate...

RSX850i Green and Yellow Sport.
Full No Scratch Windshield.
Poly Roof
Big Guns Exhaust
Super ATV 2" Lift and winch plate
Ramsey 3000 Lb winch with wireless remote
Led lights up front
30 inch maxis bighorn installed on factory rims
Custom made roll bar
post #13 of 67 Old 07-29-2013, 05:16 PM

Hey Parris59 I feel your pain, I too have a talked to John Deere customer support. I talked to 4 different people and none of them could help. All I get is that I need to talk to my dealer about it and that they are aware of the problem. John Deere doesn’t care as long as they get your money.
post #14 of 67 Old 07-30-2013, 07:46 AM

550 S4 shifting problems

less than 2 hours on mine and have been almost breaking the shifter from from day 2, after an outing with the grandkids on sat, at minooka park in Jemison Al, had to to have a a Razr pull me out of a creek bed cuz it would not shift without turning it off (razr owner thought it was pretty funny ), took it to the dealer yesterday, explained what was happening and even asked if he wanted to see some of the Gator forum messages about this problem, he laughed and said that they were quite aware of the issue. will let you know how it turns out.
post #15 of 67 Old 07-30-2013, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Ask me if I will purchase another John Deere product?

Like most other public relation problems, they would benefit by getting out in front of the issue. First, acknowledge to their customers that they have a problem and are working on a solution. Secondly, they should extend the warranty for this issue.

However, they have chosen to bury their heads in the sand and direct everyone back to the dealers who have no answers. Effectively leaving their customers frustrated and ignored.

Come on John Deere, I thought you were better than this!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   John Deere Gator Forums > John Deere Gator General Discussion > Gator General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the John Deere Gator Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in