John Deere Gator Forums banner

Gator 550 will not shift out of reverse

71K views 66 replies 28 participants last post by  Bradhill 
#1 ·
I have a new Gator 550. I am having difficulty shifting out of reverse. I have had the Gator service by the dealer under warranty twice. Both times they have returned it with the same problem.

I have found that it will come out of reverse if you are still rolling backwards. However, this is not always possible.

Has anyone else had this same issue? I'm getting tired of the gator being in the shop.

Thanks, Joe:mad:

#2 ·
I have not had any issues out of our 550 S4. It sounds like to me a linkage adjustment. I hate to hear this, but is there another dealer close you can take it to???

BTW......Welcome to the forum!!!!!

#3 ·
stuck in reverse

the dealer has adjusted the cables (twice). I really do not feel that it is a cable issue.

If you are still rolling in reverse it will then shift out of reverse. However, if you come to a complete stop, you are stuck in reverse gear.

#4 ·
Hopefully someone else will chime in on this. I wonder if the clutch is fully releasing from hold the belt and that is what is not letting it not shift???? Let me ask my friend who is a deere tech.

#5 ·
I can tell you its an adjustment issue....It happened with me in 4 wheel drive....Just click the button to 2 wheel drive ...back up another ten feet or so,,,put a stick under the wheels and rock the tire back and forth...problem is fixed,,,just a Minor adjustment if you can play with it enough

#6 ·
Interesting fix. I will have to keep that in mind.

#7 ·
I have a little problem with my 550 shifting between forward and reverse. Doesn't happen all the time, just every once in a while. I have assumed it was something in the way I was using it. Sometimes, I shut off the engine and it shifts fine. I suppose that could mean something in how the clutch is not releasing completely.

#8 · (Edited)
46Willys Shifing problem. I found this on the John Deere site under forums.

The difficulty shifting is well known. It's a problem with the drive clutch
sticking and not fully releasing. JD has a revised clutch to help address
the problem. I mentioned it to my dealer and they had me bring it in. A
couple days later I had my Gator back with a new drive/primary clutch for no
charge.
I notified my dealer. He has already replaced the secondary clutch and it's working fine as of now. After talking with my dealer he informed that he knew about this and has already replaced the drive/primary clutch when it was in the shop.. I'll let you know how it works out.

#9 ·
Thanks for the message. I would be very interested to see if this resolves your problem. I'm skeptical that the clutch applying pressure to the transmission gears is actually the problem. If that was the case I should be able to shift out a reverse my first stopping the engine. My engine can be off and I am still not able to get out of reverse. I can also rock the gator back and forth and still not be able to shift out of reverse. Doing all of this should relieve any binding pressure on the gears.

Please drop me a new message if you were fix works.

#10 · (Edited)
In my case when I shut off the engine it would shift without a problem. In your case it sounds like a linkage problem. I was also told that on some of the 550s the John Deere factory forgot to tighten bolts on the shift lever linkage. I would hope the dealer checked that out. Just curious have you tried disconnecting the link cables at the transmission and then try to shift it at the transmission? That would tell you if it is really a linkage problem. Just because they ajusted the link cables doesn't mean that isn't the problem. I'm an IT Tech and I hate when people fix a PC an do not test it properly. If you are still having a problem obviously they did not test it. They got it to move from REV to FWD once or twice and it's fixed. I hate that. Drive it go to REV and FWD move it move forward a few feet then shift to reverse move back a few feet. Repeat it 20 or 30 times then tell me you tested it and it's fixed!!!! I hope dealer gets this fixed. $11000+ sitting in your garage or driveway and your afraid to use it is CRAZY!!!!!

#11 ·
John Deere not standing behind their product

I just had a lengthy discussion with John Deere service department. They can offer no help whatsoever. They continually direct me to the dealer. The dealer has been excellent, they have picked up and delivered my gator free but they have not been able to receive any solution from John Deere.

So I am caught in the middle, with both pointing fingers at the other. I am very disappointed in John Deere. They have a problem and they are aware of it. They need to respond to their customers by extending the warranty and promising to find a solution. Sadly they are not raising their heads to this level. In fact, they are burying their heads in sand and hoping that I will go away.

Joe Parrish

#12 ·
Sorry man I hate to hear that...John Deere should step up to the plate...

#13 ·

Hey Parris59 I feel your pain, I too have a talked to John Deere customer support. I talked to 4 different people and none of them could help. All I get is that I need to talk to my dealer about it and that they are aware of the problem. John Deere doesn’t care as long as they get your money.

#14 ·
550 S4 shifting problems

less than 2 hours on mine and have been almost breaking the shifter from from day 2, after an outing with the grandkids on sat, at minooka park in Jemison Al, had to to have a a Razr pull me out of a creek bed cuz it would not shift without turning it off (razr owner thought it was pretty funny ), took it to the dealer yesterday, explained what was happening and even asked if he wanted to see some of the Gator forum messages about this problem, he laughed and said that they were quite aware of the issue. will let you know how it turns out.

#15 ·
Ask me if I will purchase another John Deere product?

Like most other public relation problems, they would benefit by getting out in front of the issue. First, acknowledge to their customers that they have a problem and are working on a solution. Secondly, they should extend the warranty for this issue.

However, they have chosen to bury their heads in the sand and direct everyone back to the dealers who have no answers. Effectively leaving their customers frustrated and ignored.

Come on John Deere, I thought you were better than this!

#17 ·
Hi parris59, I made the mistake of purchasing a john deere gator and I can tell you it won't happen again. I was going to buy a riding lawn mower from them too but I got a murray instead. And it works fine. My Dad said to me don't buy a john deere and now I wish I would have listened to him.

#18 ·
The old saying goes nothing runs like a Deere. Well they got that right I don’t think I have ever had the displeasure of driving anything quite like this. This Deere runs like it has chronic wasting disease. There is another saying if it isn’t red leave it in the shed well I should have left this john Deere product in the dealers shed and bought anther brand.

#19 ·
Got my 550 S4 back 2 weeks ago. It only took three days and that included adding turn signals. My wife doesn't like hand signals or did she know what they meant. LOL. Took it out for first time, after having the primary clutch replaced, for real work out. Shifted great, better than before. Plowed through deep sand without a problems where others were getting stuck. That 16HP engine is amazing. It bogs down a bit but plows on through I'm impressed. I'm very happy. I'm going start replacing all the bolts with 440 stainless. I'm worried about rust because I live on Padre Island. Also just in case I bought an extra year on the warrentee. Happy Gator owner :)

#20 ·
I just bought a xuv 550 with 22 hours on it. When I went to test drive it at the dealer the transmission was stuck in reverse, the salesman told me that the gator sat outside since a couple of months so it's ''normal''. I didn't worried about that and the tech looked at this and lube all the cables everything was fine when I got it delivered.

Yesterday I decide to go ride for the first time and the transmission was stuck in neutral then the shifter broke! I brought the gator to the dealer today and they told me that they will look at it tomorow. I'm really dissapointed because I was looking to buy a polaris Ranger 500 and I finally choose the john deere because I know them as making ''Good Products'' but now after I had read multiple topics on the 550 issues I regret my choice!

#21 ·
As a John Deere salesperson, we sold those machines Hot and Heavy the first year. Then we started having problems with them. It was a machine that they tried to get into that Ranger price point and in most ways they succeeded. HOWEVER, they did have a lot of problems. Most of the new ones that are coming down the line today are a much better unit, all be it, still at the same price.

The Polaris has a nice product, and i think John Deere does as well. Polaris has had their share of problems with a lot of their products first year, and so did Deere. Dont let that shy you away from any reputable brand.

#22 ·
Sorry to hear about your problem. My 550 is now out of warranty and my salesman is telling me that the sticking problem is normal. You have to be kidding! It's normal to stick in reverse? Nevertheless, John Deere is not standing behind their product.

It is unfortunate but I feel that you are salesman was downright lying. At this point I have to imagine that all dealers know of the 550 problems. I cannot understand how everyone is thinking that they can just sweep this under the rug.

I will never buy another John Deere product.

#24 · (Edited)
Parris59 I bought the extended warrentee and I just had my 550 S4 in again. They replaced the primary Clutch the first time and it worked for awhile but started sticking in reverse again. Actually wouldn't shift at all unless I turned it off. This time they put a longer belt on the transmission. A fix JD reccomended. Also it would not engaged or disengage in 4WD. They adjusted the linkage. I got it back yesterday but it's been to dang cold to test it out but I'll let you know how it works out.

#25 · (Edited)
Just to let everyone know my 550 S4 is shifting very smoothly with the belt change. Adjusting the linkage fixed the 4WD problem. I'm once again a happy Gatorer :eek:) You know JD makes a good product but the 550 was a new less expensive way of enjoying off roading. It does have some bugs but JD and Gulf Tactor have bent over backwards to fix them. Anyway in my case they have.

#26 ·
Sorry I spoke too soon. It's sticking again after it warms up. :(

#27 ·
Our dealer group hasn't sold a single 550, 550 s4, or 825i s4... So not every one knows about these problems. We sell tons and tons of 825i's some 620i and 855d. I think including mine and our owners we have only sold 4 RSX so we don't have anything like the 550 here...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.