eGator - 3 clicks and no-go when pressing the throttle pedal - John Deere Gator Forums
Gator Lighting, Stereo and Electrical Questions on getting that killer audio system installed on your Gator? Check here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 11-06-2018, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

eGator - 3 clicks and no-go when pressing the throttle pedal

Our eGator (#2) started acting up last night - when pressing the throttle after stopping, there are 3 clicks and then nothing. If I press the pedal a few more times, the same thing happens and then eventually it might move on one of the next presses.

The Curtis 1264-5403 controller flashes the 5,3 diagnostic code. According to the Deere technical manual (TM1766), this is indicates that the Motor Relay contacts Did Not Close. So, I guess I'll start with the Motor Relay Test procedure (page 6-73) in the manual and see what is found. Maybe the 3-clicks is part of a retry procedure from the Motor Controller logic if the first application of power to the relay coil does not result in Battery voltage switching through to the controller?

Just wondering if there is any BTDT experience that has also seen this relay fail with the "3-clicks, no-go" behavior?

There are about 1950 hours on this machine from MY2000. We've had it for about 2 months and are enjoying it so far. eGator #1 is still awaiting new batteries, tires and seats before going back on the road/lawn.

Last edited by khnitz; 11-07-2018 at 10:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-14-2019, 10:03 AM

Today I found a link to the John Deere Technical Manual for the eGator.

Thought I would share

http://golftechs.us/Manuals/JDegator.pdf

Parts manual is here

https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/...quipment/67826

Lithium battery from a Nissan Leaf arrives this week so battery conversion project will be beginning soon.
post #3 of 12 Old 04-15-2019, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

JohnN, thanks for posting the link to the manual. I had found it before from other sources online, too. It has a pretty detailed troubleshooting procedure, I just haven't had time to step through it, yet, as I've had other projects around the house I have needed to finish, first. I should get to it this Spring.

As for your Lithium battery project, please start a "build thread" and post your progress - this is something I am interested in eventually for the e-Gator!

Last edited by khnitz; 07-09-2019 at 07:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 07-05-2019, 06:21 AM Thread Starter

I had a little time over the holiday to look into the e-Gator some more (other house projects have had priority). I did fix another issue - the B+ connection and charging connection to the positive battery terminal on the first/lead battery had corroded and cracked.. I repaired that and also made sure that the battery water levels were topped off (none of the cells were dry when I checked, either).

So, I have 2 odd behaviors now: the first is that the charger does not seem to turn off when connected, and then there is still the 3-clicks-but-no-go issue. I left the charger connected overnight and it said it was charging with about 9-10amps. It seemed about the same in the morning, maybe a little less. Across all eight batteries the packs measured 51.2V (and they had been at 48.7), so they did take some charge overnight.

Replacing the batteries is one thought I have, but I don't want to plunge into that until I'm sure there is nothing else wrong causing the 3-clicks behavior.
post #5 of 12 Old 07-08-2019, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

I stepped through the diagnostic procedures over the weekend, and on step 11 of the Forward & Throttle Circuit Diagnosis procedure, I found my error (this is from the FSM, page 6-48): with the throttle pressed (rear wheels in the air), I did not get a voltage reading when the relay clicked. So, this leads to a conclusion of an issue in the motor controller and to replace the motor controller. Fortunately, I had eGator1 sitting there with another controller, so I swapped it in and everything worked fine. I drove about 6 miles with it yesterday before bringing it in for a charge overnight.

Now to get the motor controller repaired...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Curtis 1264-5203 label eGator2.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	11611  
post #6 of 12 Old 07-08-2019, 08:38 AM

Garage
Nice work

2012 Gator 825i (new engine at 1700 hours) Power Steering-Sport Exhaust- Deluxe Cab-Heater- Work Lights On Top Front And Rear- Hella HID Driving Lights-Warn ProVantage 4500 synthetic winch-Electric Dump- Gillmore Seat Covers
post #7 of 12 Old 07-09-2019, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradhill View Post
Nice work
Thanks, Brad! In another update, the batteries took a full charge overnight, too - repairing the B+ lead to the first battery in the chain had a lot to do with that, I think.
post #8 of 12 Old 07-09-2019, 07:30 AM

Garage
Great news

2012 Gator 825i (new engine at 1700 hours) Power Steering-Sport Exhaust- Deluxe Cab-Heater- Work Lights On Top Front And Rear- Hella HID Driving Lights-Warn ProVantage 4500 synthetic winch-Electric Dump- Gillmore Seat Covers
post #9 of 12 Old 08-22-2019, 12:05 PM

Hello - I am new to the Gator forum. I have a 2008 eGator that is doing the three clicks no-go thing as well, but intermittently - Very frustrating to say the least! I used the technical manual and believe that the motor controller is at fault here, but am not 100% sure! The JD dealer wants $3,500 for a new motor controller, so I am looking at either a refurbished one or possibly changing brands.

Does anyone have a reliable source for refurbished or gently used motor controllers -or- had any luck installing another brand like Alltrax, etc...

Alltrax makes a direct replacement for the same motor controller that was used in both the EZgo and Club Car but to no surprise - no mention of the egator.

https://alltraxinc.com/curtis-126412...t-replacement/

Thanks
Dale
post #10 of 12 Old 08-23-2019, 06:57 AM Thread Starter

Hi Dale,

I was wondering about other controllers, too, but haven't found any alternate controllers used on the eGators, either. I have seen an eGator that was converted to Lithium-ion batteries by using part of a Nissan Leaf battery pack - that seems like a very useful upgrade...but it also still used the OEM controller (and an additional battery controller).

For my bad motor controller, walking through the steps in the service manual narrowed it down to an issue with the power supply for the throttle potentiometer (on connector J1, pin 13 - I get no 5V output when applying throttle). I have not been able to find a service manual for the controller (just a user manual, no schematics/layout/parts list). If I could find a schematic/layout, I could probably repair it myself.

In the end, I will be sending the controller in to FSIP for repair (it will be about $400) https://shop.fsip.biz/en/product/con...RP77-1264-5403 . I did first try sending it in to Industrial Electronics Repair in Winston-Salem, NC, as they offered a free repair estimate and sounded like they would be more reasonable. Their cost estimate came back as $750 for the repair, with no additional detail on what exactly was wrong with the controller and no comment on my troubleshooting that seemed to narrow it to the throttle pot. power supply. I had them return my controller, and I was only out the shipping costs. They did say that part of their repair service is to replace all electrolytic capacitors, which dry out over time. I have fixed a number of power supplies in LCD computer monitors just by replacing the 'lytics, so that makes sense as a preventative repair, as well.

As repairing my controller is part of getting my second eGator up and running, I'm not in a hurry. I will probably send that in later in the Fall or over the Winter. Good luck with yours!
post #11 of 12 Old 08-23-2019, 10:57 PM

Sounds like I need a gator2 to rob parts off of until I get this one fixed. LOL

Interesting about the capacitors... do you think FSIP will replace them as well?

I sent an email to AllTrax asking if they have a replacement but have not heard from them yet. I suspect that they do not check their general delivery email box and I will follow up with them by phone next week. I found FSIP as well and will use them if i don't get a favorable response from AllTrax.

The cart worked fine yesterday but stopped working after an hour of hard use hauling construction debris. I think it might be a heat related issue and the guilty component might not rear its ugly head on a test bench at a re-builder and could be overlooked.

I am going to read through the manual and see if there is a test for the accelerator peddle as it might be sending an intermittent signal to the motor controller?

Dale

2008 eGator
post #12 of 12 Old 08-24-2019, 06:27 AM

Here is a link to the manual for the 1268 controller....doesn't have the wiring design/diagram we'd all like but may give more insight for some
http://www.fsip.biz/Documents/1268%2006A%20MANUAL.pdf

Lower Navigation
Go Back   John Deere Gator Forums > John Deere Gator Technical Discussion > Gator Lighting, Stereo and Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the John Deere Gator Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode